Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should England give up International football?

Whilst I realise that every couple of years the country goes England crazy is there really any point? I am not worried about that fact that the England side won't win a major tournament it's more that the clubs don't care about england so why should the FA bother.

I'm fed up with players pulling out 'injured'. I'm fed up of clubs moaning that their players might get hurt playing for their countries and ignoring the fact that playing internationally boosts their value. I'm fed up of pointless friendlies with more subs than the US navy.

I say just scrap the bloody lot. Tell UEFA and FIFA to shove their tournaments and just stick to club football. Currently the only people who really care about it are the fans and nobody that is in authority really cares about them so let's just disband the England team. Go back to the early world cup competitions. The english thought they were above that sort of thing and didn't enter. I want more of that.

Comments

• good point, I'm realy not that bothered if we never win another major tournament. We never seem to have out best team available anyway. Club football is my no1 priority.
  • Can Wales have Steven Gerrard then?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Can Wales have Steven Gerrard then?[/quote]

By all means. From the top of his head to the bottom of his strangely damaged toe
  • Sorry Hugely dis-agree, I am probably as passionate about England as I am about Charlton & we as Charlton fans are used to failure, glorious or otherwise.
  • i certainly think friendlies should be scrapped - they prove to be of no help whatsoever. When ever we have friendlies the manager never bloody tries out new players whether that Mclaren or robson and stick to the tired and tested and then bring on the "new" players for 20 minutes.

Iam very worried about andy reid for the paddys tonight for what is another pointless friendly.
  • Im with Ketman.

Plus an England game, and especially a tournament involving England is cracking.

Im looking forward to tonight even though it is a 'meaningless' friendly.
  • Friendlies are fine if used in the right way. Before a major tournament the line up should be the managers first choice XI, to get them used to playing with each other. Friendlies like tonight should be used to give hopefulls some International experience, alongside some of the regular starting XI, all the substitutions should be made at half time, or at least at the same time in the game.
  • Whats the point in starting Owen when he's clearly unfit? Surely this is the oppertunity to try out different players just in case!
  • I think the whole England set up needs to be re-vamped. We get the same old names playing game after game after game. Its time to take a new approach and rather than playing undoubtedly good star players, who individually are very good, and build a team and pick who's in form. It just makes me laugh when somebody such as Owen gets a game when he hasnt been fit or indeed in form for his club.
  • make you right kigs!

I tell you why!

Carragher at right back, when there is a perfect 'right back' in Captain Chaos (luke young)

Jermaine Jenas!
    Dyer
    crouch
    phil nev!
    downing
    Richardson (when at manure of course, bet he wont get picked now!
    etc etc

shit players who cant really even cement a proper staertinbg place at there club!

Joke
  • Sponsored links:

• Why has Nolan never been given a go??

Why does Jenas keep getting in the squad, likewise Dyer?

Why was Bowyer only given one game?

Why is Crouch always in the squad?!?!
  • I think Crouch is pretty good, 12 goals in 19 internationals is not too shabby, even though none of them have been against major opposition (I think).
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]I think Crouch is pretty good, 12 goals in 19 internationals is not too shabby, even though none of them have been against major opposition (I think).

agree algarve.
    though its the same opposition that rooney has had his international goal drought against.

as for the question of the thread,
    no we shouldn't give up international football.
    it's difficult to think of a reason why you should be in a pub at 7 oclock in the morning, but when the w/cup was in japan/korea...........BINGO.
  • Bit boring this but does anyone know?

1) What an England player receives in fees for an England appearance.

2) Just how many games a top player such as Gerrard makes in a season assuming progress in Champs Lge, FA Cup etc (Obviously varies from year depending on Euros/WC etc) and how this compares to 30 years ago.

I would just be interested.
  • I don't know what the figure is, but I understand it was recently agreed that the players would be donating their match fees to a specially set up players charity trust from now on.
  • I regard myself as a patriotic Englishman but I find it very hard to watch the England football team.

The majority of the players have no pride in playing for their country as exemplified by the fact that few if any bother to sing the national anthem.

The England Rugby Team are inept at times but they sing the anthem and show some pride!
  • good old England eh...
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]I think Crouch is pretty good, 12 goals in 19 internationals is not too shabby, even though none of them have been against major opposition (I think).[/quote]

Scroll down to his England goals...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Crouch

If you can't be bothered they were scored against: Uruguay, Hungary, Jamaica (3), Trinidad & Tobago, Greece (2), Andorra (2), Macedonia and Estonia.

When you consider he plays for Liverpool his return from 96 games is 31 goals. Ok to be fair he's not an out and out striker, but considering the strength of Liverpool and the amount of possession they get that isn't a good enough return. It isn't his fault either that he keeps getting picked for England, that comes with playing for a top club and the political nonsense that goes with it.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]I think Crouch is pretty good, 12 goals in 19 internationals is not too shabby, even though none of them have been against major opposition (I think).

Scroll down to his England goals...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Crouch

If you can't be bothered they were scored against: Uruguay, Hungary, Jamaica (3), Trinidad & Tobago, Greece (2), Andorra (2), Macedonia and Estonia.

When you consider he plays for Liverpool his return from 96 games is 31 goals. Ok to be fair he's not an out and out striker, but considering the strength of Liverpool and the amount of possession they get that isn't a good enough return. It isn't his fault either that he keeps getting picked for England, that comes with playing for a top club and the political nonsense that goes with it.

You can play with stats though BFR - A number of his appearances for Liverpool have been as sub and if you look at goals scored per minute last season he scored more than Drogba, the leagues top scorer overall. Also in terms of his England return it's better than any other striker we have at present, but that isn't saying much, but it is still better.

I still don't rate him though.