Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I have an iphone 4 and want an iphone 5 , is it worth changing?

edited October 2012 in Not Sports Related
Like the title says .

Got the 4 the week it came out over two years ago , had it replaced earlier this year due to water damage but not sure whether the expense is worth it .

Comments

• I have a 5, really happy with it. A hell of a lot quicker and a lot easier to work your way round. Depends whether your looking at contracts or buying outright?
  • Still waiting for my 5.
  • I had the 4 and I'm pleased with my 5, it's not revolutionary so don't expect the jump from the 3 to the 4. Saying that it's much quicker therefore hence smoother, so much lighter and now I have siri which I use.

All down to personal preference at the end of the day, but I'm glad I upgraded.
  • Been waiting weeks for mine to turn up.
  • Really undecided.

The buy back company's don't want to offer me more than £120 for my 4 even though its only a few months old.

I'm so indecisive that the 5s will be out by the time my mind's made up.
  • apparently the battery life on the 5 is completely useless. Is that the case?
  • ozaddick said:

apparently the battery life on the 5 is completely useless. Is that the case?

No, the case will have nothing to do with it.

• Had the 4 and upgraded to the 5 2 weeks ago! I'm with O2 and paid £250 upfront then it's £26 a month on 2 year deal for unlimited calls, texts and 1gb of data. I sold my iphone4 on eBay for £200 so it made sense to upgrade! As others have said there's no big changes in features but its quicker and much nicer to use!
  • ozaddick said:

Battery life is about the same as the 4 needs charging each night but the bigger screen was always going to drain it!
  • ozaddick said:

boom boom!

• Sponsored links:

• I can tell your one of Ian's mates with jokes like that! @Robbo on the wing
  • Battery on my 5 is pretty good, better then my 4S, I would recommend it, lighter, quicker, smoother, better built then the 4 you've got.

• Had the 4 and upgraded to the 5 2 weeks ago! I'm with O2 and paid £250 upfront then it's £26 a month on 2 year deal for unlimited calls, texts and 1gb of data. I sold my iphone4 on eBay for £200 so it made sense to upgrade! As others have said there's no big changes in features but its quicker and much nicer to use!

Oh man you don't know how jealous I am, reading that. I am actually with some thieves masquerading as O2 over here. They no longer offer the iPhone at all, so we will have to switch. Choice of only two carriers, lots of price competition there, not. Why don't O2 offer it any more? They made a big deal about Apple making outrageous financial demands on them. But someone from T-Mobile told me it was actually that Telefonica (useless Spanish mob that owns O2) do not have Europe wide central procurement, so couldn't get the volume deals thatT-M and VF got. Muppets.

• I think overall the O2 deal works out the cheapest but of course they cannot offer 4g like EE and three (who get it next year). But it sounds like the 4G will take time to get up to its full potential and to get it this year it will cost more on a 4g tariff!

I'm happy to stay on a 3G network for this contract and in 2 years time there should be more choice of networks!

Do you not have a network similar to the uk gifgaf PA? Buy the phone up front and go with a sim only?!
  • What memory has it got? If it is in decent nick and you have the box and all the original bits, try CEX to sell it. They offer 180 for a decent 32gb 4. Sold my Desire HD to them and got 35 more than the best buy back offer.
  • I think overall the O2 deal works out the cheapest but of course they cannot offer 4g like EE and three (who get it next year). But it sounds like the 4G will take time to get up to its full potential and to get it this year it will cost more on a 4g tariff!

I'm happy to stay on a 3G network for this contract and in 2 years time there should be more choice of networks!

Do you not have a network similar to the uk gifgaf PA? Buy the phone up front and go with a sim only?!

Cookierules

It's one of the things we're looking at, for sure, but it's difficult here, just getting the facts to work out whether its worth it.

• I work for British Gas so we get 20% off our line rental with Vodafone.

Think I may well go for it seeing as I can get up to £200 for mine on eBay.
  • I would buckshee it ends up as a cheap upgrade that way! Everyone moans apple are expensive but they hold there money and you can get half of its purchase price back after two years! Works well for me I've paid 50 quid and have a 26 a month bill now! I'd say that's cheap for the latest iPhone that everyone wants.

PA hopefully once demand dies down you'll have more options! There still selling like hot cakes in UK though!
  • Can anyone tell me what I can pick up an unblocked iPhone 5 for in the UK (and where)? In the Czech rep. Apple ask £622 inc. 20%VAT, for a 32GB.

Cheers

• From Apple UK, £599 for a 32Gb 5
  • Sponsored links:

• I have a client who is a major phone manufacturer (not either of the brands I will mention here) and they are utterly convinced that neither their phone nor the iPhone is the best on the market.

They catagorically reckon it is the Samsung Galaxy (yes it does say something when it is not their own!)

• They catagorically reckon it is the Samsung Galaxy (yes it does say something when it is not their own!)

Apple is the new Nike, they seem to have managed to convince people that the iphone makes a persons life complete.
  • ozaddick said:

Real LOL moment at work :-)
  • Got one coming tomorrow. Will give it a few days test drive and make my mind up.
  • buckshee said:

Got one coming tomorrow. Will give it a few days test drive and make my mind up.

How long did they say that it would take to arrive?
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 is an amazing phone, and very customisable if that's your thing
  • Been a Mac supporter for 20 years, got the iphone 4s. They have just done an upgrade to ios6. So I try to back up my phone on my G5 Mac, and itunes needs upgrading, so I upgraded only to be told that my Mac OS needs upgrading to run latest itunes, only I cant 'cos my computer does not support the latest Mac OS software cos my G5 does not have intel.
    Spent an hour with Orange and then Apple, only to be told that there is nothing they can do, they cannot reverse the iphone upgrade so I will need to buy a newer computer. Fecking useless bastards, so phone is now not fit for purpose, so I will have to cancel the contract.
    Beware.
  • Samsung's ad agency - Koreans running the show - are my new client. I asked , if I bought a Galaxy would I be able to seamlessly synch it with my Macs? They looked very rueful and shook their heads, muttering about Apple's clever 'eco-system'...
  • In all honesty I'm not totally against the idea of the Samsung S3 (apart from the size and the mini is out soon) but having had an iphone since the 3GS came out I've got loads of apps I wouldn't want to have to pay for again on android. Tom tom alone cost me £60.

I'll give the 5 a go and if I don't see it as much of an upgrade I'll send it back then keep my 4 .
  • Greenie said:

Been a Mac supporter for 20 years, got the iphone 4s. They have just done an upgrade to ios6. So I try to back up my phone on my G5 Mac, and itunes needs upgrading, so I upgraded only to be told that my Mac OS needs upgrading to run latest itunes, only I cant 'cos my computer does not support the latest Mac OS software cos my G5 does not have intel.
    Spent an hour with Orange and then Apple, only to be told that there is nothing they can do, they cannot reverse the iphone upgrade so I will need to buy a newer computer. Fecking useless bastards, so phone is now not fit for purpose, so I will have to cancel the contract.
    Beware.

Can't you use someone else's mac to update to IOS6?