Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Useless Charlton Knowledge

Coming from a quite an intellectual family, they often ridicule me for my useless knowledge on anything football (which was mainly due to playing championship manager growing up) and as my comeback I've always stated that one day, just one day, it will be really bloody useful.
Well some how earlier on we was all watching 'Pointless' on TV (which I actually find quite pointless) and as per normal I was struggling to answer questions through the rounds on the more "academic" subjects to do with History etc. That is until the final round. The money question. The big one. In the categories was various choices, one being "Sporting Achievements".. my obvious choice. For some reason the two 'intellectuals' chose it, despite not seeming keen on sport.
Now for anyone who has never seen the show, the idea is they give you a subject and you have to name an answer that is "pointless", an answer that nobody out of 100 people had given which is correct.
The subject on this occasion was 'Match Of The Day goal of the season winners'. I shouted Shaun Bartlett (that cracking volley against Leicester in 2000/01?) and sat there quite smug with family looking at me. Needless to say, the two guys chose Ronaldo, Lljunberg and Jaap Stam.. which of course were all wrong and not pointless. Then they worked through the footballers who had pointless scores. There he was, in all his glory the last name to be read out.. Super Shaun Bartlett.

Useless Charlton Knowledge would have won me £2,500.

We've all got some useless Charlton knowledge inside of us that nobody cares about apart from other Charlton fans, has yours ever won you money/saved a life/saved the world. If it hasn't yet, then one day it just might.

Comments

• I watched it as well and did exactly the same...
  • Back in those heady days when we were plying our trade in the Premiership a friend of mine told me that Charlton were the only "Village" team in the top flight. Not knowing whether this was true or not I managed to convince a local quizmaster to deliver it as a question during one of his gigs.

I was living in New Zealand at the time.

Fk
  • Also isn't "Charlton Athletic" one of only a handful of football league teams whose name begins and ends with the same letter? I seem to recall that the others are Liverpool, York City, Northampton Town and, errr

Well you get the idea! :-)
  • Also isn't "Charlton Athletic" one of only a handful of football league teams whose name begins and ends with the same letter? I seem to recall that the others are Liverpool, York City, Northampton Town and, errr

Well you get the idea! :-)

Aston Villa!
  • their the 5 and theres some Scottish teams
  • I watched it as well and did exactly the same...

Yep me too - and my nine year old was very impressed with me!

(I also had Cyrille Regis - another Pointless answer!)
  • One of only 11 (or is it 10) to have averaged 40,000+ in a given season.
  • The only team to recruit turnstile operators
  • their the 5 and theres some Scottish teams

Celtic, Kilmarnock
  • first ever use of a substitute in a football league match
  • Sponsored links:

• Dundee United
  • iaitch said:

their the 5 and theres some Scottish teams

Celtic, Kilmarnock
    dundee united, alloa, east fife
  • The only team to have a ball burst in a final at Wembley, not once, not twice but 3 times!
  • The only team to have won 7-6
  • The first team to earn successive promotions through the league divisions.
  • The team inclusive of Carlisle to win promotion at Brunton Park the most times?
  • The only team to lose a game on the way to the Cup Final?
  • The first team to win a play off final for the right to play in the most prestigious English league.

If there is a team with a more interesting history than ours, I'd love to know who it is. There are several big clubs who can boast lots more wins and trophies than us, but we do seem to be blessed with a lot of one off achievements and quirky facts.
  • Stig said:

The first team to win a play off final for the right to play in the most prestigious English league.

And I believe the only team to win the play offs to keep their place in the top flight, as opposed to get promoted to the top flight.
  • Great thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2012

iaitch said:

their the 5 and theres some Scottish teams

Celtic, Kilmarnock
    dundee united, alloa, east fife
    Alloa Athletic I am afraid. You can add East Stirlingshire to the list.

I also got Micky Walsh as a pointless answer.

I love Pointless, best quiz/game show ever.
  • CAFC v. Blackburn (Feb.1947) was the fist televised live cup tie, other than the Final itself.

• For many years the biggest capacity in England (except Wembley)...66,000.
  • First team to lose 2 FA Cup games in the same season.
  • Then there was 'The Valley Party'........
  • Promoted whilst groundsharing?
  • edited October 2012

Already posted above
  • The first to have joint managers.
  • Off_it said:

The only team to lose a game on the way to the Cup Final?

Tell me more....
  • Don't you remember the '45/46 season then Creepy? The early rounds were played over two legs and though we lost 2-1 at Fulham we beat them 3-1 at The Valley for the aggregate win.