Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

the modern game - fitness

is too much emphasis put on fitness in todays game?
after seeing the spanish league player have a heart attack over the weekend, the young walsall player dying and not so long ago the marc vivien foe tragedy, is football pushing people beyond their physical limits or are these just co-incidental.
i can't remember these sort of incidents happening years ago (though some ahem elder lifers may correct me).

Comments

• blimey is that what happened with the spanish lad. was watching that game and was strange he just bent down no one near him.
  • I don't think so. These tragedies are one offs, normally down to a born defect with the individual which there is no way of knowing.

A footballers regime is nowhere near as punishing as a lot of other sports, long-distance runners, rowers, rugby players etc.
  • boxers fitness is second to none
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I don't think so. These tragedies are one offs, normally down to a born defect with the individual which there is no way of knowing.

A footballers regime is nowhere near as punishing as a lot of other sports, long-distance runners, rowers, rugby players etc.

Agree completely AFKA - My cousin is a Professional sports physio and she says football is way down the list in terms of really pushing the limits.
  • they seem to have more of a social life.
  • Pretty sure Luke Young was on 20 fags a day?
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly aka lucy lou[/cite]boxers fitness is second to none

There are plenty of other sportsmen fitter than the average boxer. Runners, rowers, cyclists and even Rugby pro's.

Think we missed the main point here though-

it's a horrible thing to happen and let's hope the guy makes a full recovery!
  • Reports: 22-year-old Sevilla defender Antonio Puerta dies
    MADRID, Spain (AP) - Sevilla defender Antonio Puerta died
    Tuesday, three days after collapsing on the field during
    his team's Spanish league match against Getafe, Spanish
    news reports said.
    The 22-year-old Puerta had been in an intensive care unit
    since Saturday and had been given assisted ventilation but
    his condition worsened Tuesday, the Virgen del Rocio
    hospital said.
    A statement by his managers was expected to be released
    shortly.
    Puerta lost consciousness and fell near his own goal
    Saturday in the 31st minute, but was able to walk off
    minutes later after being treated by team doctors.
    He collapsed again in the locker room before being taken
    to the hospital, where he has been since.
    Sevilla beat Getafe 4-1.
  • jesus.

RIP
  • Poor sod
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP
    It's been a bad few days first Ray Jones and now this guy
  • You would of thought Ole gunar scolskar had died the way Sky Sports news is showing constant coverage of him retiring.
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]You would of thought Ole gunar scolskar had died the way Sky Sports news is showing constant coverage of him retiring.

Agreed mate, and The Sun. Thought it was pretty tasteless all that 'we'll miss you Ole' bollocks.

Ray Jones got a column. Another bit of proof what a souless circus the premiershit has become.

RIP Antonio Puerta & Ray Jones
  • Terrible.
    RIP.
  • [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]Pretty sure Luke Young was on 20 fags a day?
    Pretty sure Marcus Bent was on 20 wags a day
  • And it can be easy to think of footballers as men - 22 years old is no age at all. That and Ray Jones along with the others that died alongside him (just as important) plus the spate of knife/gun crime is not making this a good year for the young.

RIP.
  • Tragic. He looked ok after coming round & walking off the pitch. He was sitting on the grass behind the goal talking to the physio. Must have had a major heart attack in the dressing room after that. RIP Antonio.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2007
    i can;t believe it. was watching the game and when he walked off I thought oh he's alright then sarnie said he;d had heart attack and now this.

Bloody tragic - 2 talented young men dead -
  • reports coming in a leicester player has been rushed to hospital after collapsing in the changing rooms at half time.
    martin allen did his h/t team talk on the pitch. match delayed for an extra 10 mins after interval.
  • Just about to post the same PBS-

Horrible, but it's not about players being too fit/ pushed.

Bloody hope this doesn't end in the same way!
  • match abandoned.
    clive clarke was the player. left the ground concious, but leicester players too upset to carry on.
  • FFS,whats happening lately?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: browny[/cite]FFS,whats happening lately?[/quote]

Nothing, two players have collapsed, think of the thousands who are playing across Europe.
  • According to the players agent

"It appears Clive's heart stopped twice and mouth-to-mouth didn't work so the paramedics had to use a defibrillator"

Very lucky young man, and well done to the medical team at Forest
  • This is strange that this happened so close to two other football tradgedies. Coincidence I know but unnerving.

Is this now an excuse for players to run less?

**Before anyone bites my head off, that was tongue in cheek**
  • Certainly not suggesting this had anything to do with the cases but a book i was reading about some of the darker things that go on in football mentioned that young players are given dietry supliments from 16 where they're totally unaware of the contents or any long term effects they might have (i guess a bit like cortisone injections were given to players in the 50's & 60's with out realising the long term effect they might have)

I believe there was a big scandel at Juve a few years ago of players popping pills unaware of what was in them. just wondering if young players pushing themselves for that extra 1% that might make them millionaires at 22 are doing long term damage to themselves.

Like I say no suggesting this had anything to do with the tragic cases above, just that like PBS says they do seem more common place nowadays (maybe down to better reporting, the internet etc...)