Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Computer not finding any wireless networks

Hi - hope someone can help me out here.
Our desktop computer - Hewlett Packard 2010i - has suddenly not been connecting to our wireless broadband.
All our other devices are picking it up so definitely not problem at the routers end.

never previously had any issues, but now when you try to connect it doesnt find any wireless networks at all whereas previously had a list of about 10 networks from various neighbours.
It says Wireless adapter not connected - now as a technophobe is this an actual physical thing that is plugged into the PC as I cannot see we have any wires missing or loose. Had a bit of a browse online and cannot find an answer, but there are various things about uninstalling/installing drivers etc which I dont really understand.

If anyone can explain what the problem is to me in laymans terms that would be great.....

In CharltonLife I Trust.

Comments

• Has it got a wireless on/off switch somewhere that you have accidentally turned off?
  • Has it got a wireless on/off switch somewhere that you have accidentally turned off?

One of our laptops has a wireless on/off switch right next to the power button, bloody annoying.
  • yes from device manager you could try removing the wireless adapter and letting windows find it again.

If it's windows 7, search on network and sharing centre, select change adapter settings from the left column, from here you can right click and enable disable any device, find your wireless adapter and disable then reenable. or just enable if its disabled. If its not there at all go buy a new one from pc world usb external one would do.

That is my wife's favourite trick, drives me up the bloody wall.
  • razil said:

yes from device manager you could try removing the wireless adapter and letting windows find it again.

If it's windows 7, search on network and sharing centre, select change adapter settings from the left column, from here you can right click and enable disable any device, find your wireless adapter and disable then reenable. or just enable if its disabled. If its not there at all go buy a new one from pc world usb external one would do.

will have a go when I get home - thanks.

Pretty sure there is no on/off switch for the wireless.

• On my laptop (lenovo) there is one of the function keys that controls it. Hit Fn and F5 or something similar where there is an icon of a little computer with waves coming out of it and this should work.
  • yup common on laptops, not so common on desktops
  • take a look on device manager to see if its actually still connected.
  • Tried above and didnt work, have dropped off this morning at a local shop.
    Thanks for all the advice though.
  • If it has failed - you can buy USB adaptors for under a tenner on e-bay.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wireless card has probably died, fairly cheap to replace.
  • I get the same problem occasionally.

Simply re-booting works for me.
  • Oggy Red said:

I get the same problem occasionally.

Simply re-booting works for me.

Same here, I disconnect modem, then router, then turn off computer.

Then turn on modem, wait one minute, turn on router, wait one minute, turn on comuter - works every time.
  • Hammer and bin bag time