Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Back to the Valley

Had lunch last week with a friend and his wife who live in Wiltshire. She in particular has spent a lot of time involved in the arts and would give Daphne from eggheads a good beating on general knowledge. Anyway, she spent a lot of time listening to me tell her the story of our great football club. She seems to know Nick Hornby of Fever Pitch fame as well.
Having listened and asked many questions, she was particularly excited about the " back to the valley" party and the local elections in Greenwich. She is of the opinion this story would make a great film - maybe a book first -. Amazed to hear Michael Grade is also a director she seems to think he should be making said film. Anyone got any comment on this? Has this ever been discussed or has anyone ever approached or attempted to write a book on this?

Comments

• You could ask Ade Edmundson to play @airman brown
  • I think it would go straight to DVD. Big story for us, nothing for anyone else. I remember good coverage on local news programmes but little on national editions.
  • Rick Everitt wrote a book. It was called " Battle for the Valley".
  • Rick Everitt wrote a book. It was called " Battle for the Valley".

Would you want to play yourself in that famous scene at Woolwich Town Hall?
  • The book has been written (though needs an update to conclude the story). A film? No. Whilst we had goodies and baddies, there would need to be some human conflict. Airman Brown gets offered a job for Sunleys at 100k a year or Simon Oelman's daughter falls in love with Colin Walsh. Something like that.
  • Sad to say if Jordon ain't getting her tits out or Simon Cowell is not on the jury and some Z list up their own arse celeb ain't diving off a feckin diving board the majority of our dummed down spoon fed feckless society will not give a shit.
  • Ken Loach gritty workingclass tale of betrayal, local authority shenanigans, housing shortages, football and alcohol. Ewan McGregor as Alan Curbishley.
  • It would probably be set in California, brad Pitt would be the goal achiever, George cloonie the coach and we'd get back to the valley and win the World Cup the same season
  • I am willing to do all the sound for free.
  • edited January 2013
    Back in 1991 there was talk of a documentary based on a book, but that would have been a different book. I wanted to write the story from a Charlton fan's perspective and put it into its proper context. Then I got stuck into the Catford story and found there was plenty in that too.

I think the national media largely missed the boat at the time. It was a great story, but they missed it. And while there was a camera at the count in 1990 we've ever been able to trace the footage.

BFTV is £24 on Amazon. I do intend to complete the story, however. Watch this space.
  • Sponsored links:

• It would probably be set in California, brad Pitt would be the goal achiever, George cloonie the coach and we'd get back to the valley and win the World Cup the same season

I've seen that film on TrueMovies.

• Where can I get this book? Thought I'd struck lucky when Waterstones said they had it, only to be still waiting 6 months later.....
  • Had a chat with an actor friend of mine (Chelsea follower) a long while ago about it, and he thought the same as you Musicat, if a story about the Women's Institute getting their kit off, or a made up story about a ghostly baseball stadium can be a hit, why not our story? Understand your reservations Riviera, but if the right people put it together there is no reason it could not be as good as The Damned United, is there?
  • I do intend to complete the story, however. Watch this space.

good to hear
  • Had a chat with an actor friend of mine ...

hobnobbing with the famous again P. ;-)