Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

C.Palace vs. Charlton Ath | 2nd February 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction

Does this game need an introduction? Well as rivalry goes this South-London one, will always be remembered (by Charlton fans at least) for the epic 2-2 draw at the Valley almost eight years ago which ultimately relegated Iain Dowie’s Crystal Palace and started the birth of the famous Charlton version of the ‘Amarillo’ song belted out from the Covered End.

Since then, this derby game haven’t occurred as often as wanted and infact this is Charlton’s first visit to Selhurst Park since 2008 which Palace won 1-0. No Charlton and only two Crystal Palace players remain from that fixture, just goes to show how much both these sides have changed since the last time we faced each other at Selhurst Park.

The Opposition

Crystal Palace to be fair to them, have had a decent season so far and currently sit in 5th place and two points off the automatic promotion spots. After Dougie Freedman left in October, Palace replaced him with Ian Holloway, who has kept Palace up towards that play-off spot position and will be hoping that his side can get close to an automatic place to get them promoted to the Premier League.

The main ‘hype’ surrounding Palace has been through Wilfred Zaha whose impressive performances lead to an England cap against Sweden last year. Zaha has since moved on to Man Utd who have loaned the winger back to Palace until the end of the season. Although, Zaha couldn’t inspire his side to defeat Huddersfield mid-week as Palace lost 1-0 due to James Vaughan goal.

Palace have been busy in the January transfer window especially with loan deals and their squad may even be added later on this week. The loan deals include, Jacob Butterfield from Norwich, Ashley Richards from Swansea and Alex Nimely from Man City and all three could feature on Saturday.

The Line Up

Well after three games of the same line-up, it wouldn’t surprise me if Powell decides to freshen the side up a little especially after the 2-1 home defeat to the Massives last weekend. I would be surprised if Powell changes the formation however as 4-5-1 seems to work much better for the side especially away from home.

However, if Powell is going to make a few changes who will be dropped? I can’t see Wilson nor Wagstaff being dropped especially as their defensive duties will be much needed with the pace of Zaha and Bolasie on the wings. In the middle, I can’t see Pritchard, Jackson nor Stephens being dropped unless we change the formation back to 4-4-2.

The only change I can see would be if Powell decides to recall Leon Cort instead of Matt Taylor who would consider himself to be unfortunate after his recent run of decent displays. Another name in the mix would be Rhoys Wiggins, who hasn’t featured in the line-up since the last time we faced Palace, although he may not be quite ready. This may also be the case with Danny Haynes who might be available for a place on the bench.

The Prediction

2-2 draw.

........................Hamer................

Solly..........Cort......Morrison.........Evina

Wilson...Pritchard...Stephens...Jackson...Wagstaff

.....................Kermorgant............

Comments

• 0-1 Charlton Kermorgant
  • 1 - 1

They are all over us, win a dodgy pen which Hamer saves but the rebound is still put away.

Waggy scrambles one in near the end
  • Would take a draw right now. We will be under the cosh for most of the match and I am sad to say I fear a 2 - 0 Palace victory
  • Just hada look over on one of their sitesa nd apparantly Jedinak is the main man in their midfied and he got injured last night. Same with Moritz?. Palace fan at work confirmed it - big blow apparantly. Take it all with a pinch of salt obviously as i'm sure they'll all be injecteda nda s righta s rain for their big game saturday (you know, the one they desparately want to win but of course, aren't allowed to say it because it hurts us! - take that onto its logical conclusion and there will be stone silence in the home ends on Saturday - come to think of it...)
  • oh, by the way 2-0 away win which also sees us go above millwall and basically re crowned south london's number 1 (on the basis taht palace are also now on the slide after there brief couple of months in the sun)
  • We need pessimism !!!!
  • 1-1 We will go ahead and then they will score in last 5
  • 2-0 defeat
  • COME ON YOU HADDOCK AND CHIP LOVERS!!!

9-0 haddocks, bullfrog with 4 of'em... local chip shops to sell out of saveloys and empty orangina bottles all over the shat hole.

GLORY GLORY CHARLTON FC
    AS THE REDS GO MARCHING ON ON ON... :~)
  • A return to the early days of Curbs - we look the better team, have the lion's share of possession but lack the crucial cutting edge and walk out wondering how we've lost.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-0 to the addicks!! Rommedahl with late goal! ;) woops sorry wilson i mean
  • 2-1 loss, Fuller coming on late to score and give us hope but overall we fall short.
  • Zaha will be keen to avoid injury. Murray must be stopped, Taylor (or Cort) & Morrison must be right on their toes. Palace have lost form lately (we are so inconsistent that form is merely imaginary).
    Sarf London Derby .. all the ingredients for a low scoring draw .. (derby's are NEVER boring.)

Crystal Palace 1 v Charlton Athletic 1
  • Settle for a score draw.
  • Think we can nick this 2-1
  • 2-0 to the addicks
  • 3-1 to the Stripeys
  • Palace 2 wins in the last 12 games. The Palace season ticket holder sitting 3 desks from me is worried. All this points to a 3-0 defeat.
  • 1-1 yan to get a late equaliser
  • Sponsored links:

• I would take a draw now but got a good feeling we could be under attack for most the game but steal it 2 1.

Wagstaff, Palace Penalty, Fuller winner for us in the last 10 minutes, COYR!

• Revenge will be ours, revenge will be sweet
    We'll pay back the scum at last when we meet
    2 goals for the Kerm
    as we out-sing their firm
    2-0 to the reds, come sun, rain or sleet.

C Rhyming Predictions Ltd
  • Fancy a win 1 3
  • A draw would be an excellent result.

Can't see it though :-(
  • 0-2 haddocks JJ and Ric
  • That sheff wed defeat has me feeling optimistic for some reason.

2-1 addicks. Kerm and wilson with our goals. Murray pen for them
  • Comfortable away win 4-0
  • Palace haven't been as good as they were early season and with our away form we can win this one

Love a Kerms last minute winner
  • Palace haven't been as good as they were early season and with our away form we can win this one

Love a Kerms last minute winner