Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Brave of him..sadly I think if a player did come out they would get abuse from opposition fans hence his decisions to retire.
  • Fair play!
  • Brave decision but it is a shame if that is why he is retiring.

• Sadly illustrates that Football is very much in the dark ages.
  • I'm glad he done what's right for him. Live your own life and don't judge others
  • I really don't understand why Football as a whole cannot accept the concept of a gay footballer.
  • pilchard said:

I really don't understand why Football as a whole cannot accept the concept of a gay footballer.

Fans will use anything to wind the players up, it ain't meant to be understood. Banter.....
  • Pretty sad really.
  • Maybe, but don't waste your time trying to understand it pal
  • Brave. Bring on the day when it's ok to be whoever you actually are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good on him for coming out but sadly he isn't high profile enough for it to have a knock on affect. I've never heard if him .
  • edited February 2013
    I totally respect the guy's decision, perhaps he wants to distance himself from the many idiots that infest the game. Good on him.
  • To be fair he hasn't said he's retired because he's afraid of the reaction. I'm inclined to think that most fans reaction would be positive, although you'll always get some idiots i suppose.
  • Shame its not a more high profile player. Plus I don't think he would get abused and if he does it would only be by a minority. The same as in his everyday life.
  • pilchard said:

I really don't understand why Football as a whole cannot accept the concept of a gay footballer.

This. Wouldn't bother me at all if one of our players, or all of them, were gay. As long as whoever dons the shirt does it with pride and performs with commitment then who cares their sexuality.

I'm not going to Hull tomorrow because we may or may not have a team full of expert hetero swordsmen.
  • Give the prevalence if gays in celeb culture it's logical to assume there are many many more in the football world. It's shocking that they stay quiet because of the grief the fans would give - but you know it would happen .

If one proper high profile player came out I'm sure more would follow
  • edited February 2013
    I know this will be seen as me trolling when it actually isn't, but some of the comments about Ambrose on here show why gay footballers won't come out. People aren't necessarily being homophobic but people use the word in a derogatory tone in jokes etc still. Definitely don't think football is ready for open players yet.

Not as bad as the NFL though, with someone saying that they wouldn't want a gay teammate in their locker room on the biggest media week of the game before the Superbowl...
  • Some of the guys who have shown the most support for Robbie today are NFL players and Culliver -- the player who made the comment -- was roundly criticized by a remarkable number of other players.

May not make a major difference in the U.K., but people know Robbie pretty well here. He's a legend in my town (home of the University of Maryland).

I am proud of Rogers, but even more proud of the reaction to his announcement. I think every MLS team that would welcome Robbie back to the sport and he'd receive huge support from fans.
  • Swisdom said:

Give the prevalence if gays in celeb culture it's logical to assume there are many many more in the football world. It's shocking that they stay quiet because of the grief the fans would give - but you know it would happen .

If one proper high profile player came out I'm sure more would follow

Hahaha the 'prevalence of gays in celeb culture'. Eh?

I really hope RR coming out and the general reaction shown above means a higher profile gay footballer feels safe to do the same.
    As has been said, I couldn't care less if all 11 of our players are gay.