Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Download Festival 2013 - Help for a 50+ Dad

2»

Comments

• Options
    good luck bingaddick you'll love it and horns up to your son for wanting to go \m/ \m/. I used to go but its a bit too soft for me now! i went to the first 3 and one since + i have done Rock am Ring in Germany,Ii now normally go to Bloodstock and get to at least one festival every year. if you want to meet up for a chat about it just let me know. If your camping don't camp next to a walk way as people will be walking past all night also camp in sight of a toilet but not so close that you can smell it when they are pumping them out on the Saturday and Sunday!!! camp up hill to avoid water run off and never camp under a tree as not only will you get dripped on all night trees and fences normally turn into toilets very quickly!!

its great to see a few metal heads on here, thought i was the only one!

baby wipes are essential as is hand sanitizer. olbus oil on tissue is a good call if the stench of rotten toilets makes you feel ill!! don't forget a mallet and your sleeping bags!! as normal with a uk fest plan for very wet and very hot. always have a meeting point in case you get lost or lose phones etc. I normally eat at the delikate as they put on a full meal from about 6pm i also go for the noodles as they are better value for money.

go and see Uriah Heep and Amon Amarth, Rammstein are amazing live and a must see, slipknot are really good too.

have a great time.
  • Options
    Booking at a local hotel is definitely a good shout if you're not keen on camping.
  • Options

Oh yeah, prepare to lose your dignity and decency when you use the toilets :(

Travelling up and down the French Autoroutes has probably stood me in good stead in that regard....!
  • Options

Travelling up and down the French Autoroutes has probably stood me in good stead in that regard....!
    Haha I would say Download toilets are worse than them, but they aren't. It's like stepping into a third world country in some of those toilet areas. Some of the filth I have seen in there can never be unseen.

Have a great time, it's generally a decent crowd, everyone seems to be quite nice, look out for me!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Haha I would say Download toilets are worse than them, but they aren't. It's like stepping into a third world country in some of those toilet areas. Some of the filth I have seen in there can never be unseen.

Have a great time, it's generally a decent crowd, everyone seems to be quite nice, look out for me!
    Cheers !
  • Options
    If you're 50+ you'll enjoy a lot of the bands there!
  • Options
    It'll be a blast - in more ways than one.!

Take toilet paper ! Also, sleeping tablets (if you can get them to work over the noise).As you wont get much sleep otherwise.

Got a simlar 'problem' - my 15 year-old daughter is asking if i can take her to see One Direction if her mate drops out !!! Its at times like this when Slipknot and Megadeth sound attractive !
  • Options
    Bing, I know he has had issues so my first thought would be..

what is the likely impact if you get split up, he goes off etc ?
  • Options

It'll be a blast - in more ways than one.!

Take toilet paper ! Also, sleeping tablets (if you can get them to work over the noise).As you wont get much sleep otherwise.

Got a simlar 'problem' - my 15 year-old daughter is asking if i can take her to see One Direction if her mate drops out !!! Its at times like this when Slipknot and Megadeth sound attractive !

Yeah, but think of the Kudos points for taking her!
    And think of all the Mum's that are taking their kids!

• Options
    I will probably be going, you will be fine, as in general you wont meet a more friendly bunch of music fans, only things to avoid are the 15 year old emo's drunk on their first beer who think their awesome, just hope the weather is better then last summer, it was crazy loads of people left days early.

Oh and even if the music is not your style all the main stage headliners this year are great live experiances just might want to avoid being to close to the front for Slipknot.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keep away from the moshes... He'll get chinned regardless of whether he's 14 or not.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Keep away from the moshes... He'll get chinned regardless of whether he's 14 or not.

Should be fine for Maiden, as they tend to have much safer moshes and Bruce Dickinson stops the gig to tell people to calm down a little if it looks like some people are struggling.

• Options

Up til now I wouldn't have considered it.

I have said yes provisionally but I want his care managers where he is staying to agree.

Recently there have been signs that he is beginning to benefit from the therapeutic community in which he lives. His key worker supports the idea.

What I have decided to do, provided they allow him to go, is to get the tickets ordered. If he continues to progress in the way we all hope, then I expect we will go. If not I will sell the tickets.

Thank you for you considered response.
  • Options

Up til now I wouldn't have considered it.

I have said yes provisionally but I want his care managers where he is staying to agree.

Recently there have been signs that he is beginning to benefit from the therapeutic community in which he lives. His key worker supports the idea.

What I have decided to do, provided they allow him to go, is to get the tickets ordered. If he continues to progress in the way we all hope, then I expect we will go. If not I will sell the tickets.

Thank you for you considered response.

never been myself but mates love it. Most standard advice for a festival has already been given. Hopefully it all goes well for you
  • Options
    Bloody hell, just seen the ticket prices!

Don't these places do tickets just for the one day?
  • Options

good luck bingaddick you'll love it and horns up to your son for wanting to go \m/ \m/. I used to go but its a bit too soft for me now! i went to the first 3 and one since + i have done Rock am Ring in Germany,Ii now normally go to Bloodstock and get to at least one festival every year. if you want to meet up for a chat about it just let me know. If your camping don't camp next to a walk way as people will be walking past all night also camp in sight of a toilet but not so close that you can smell it when they are pumping them out on the Saturday and Sunday!!! camp up hill to avoid water run off and never camp under a tree as not only will you get dripped on all night trees and fences normally turn into toilets very quickly!!

its great to see a few metal heads on here, thought i was the only one!

baby wipes are essential as is hand sanitizer. olbus oil on tissue is a good call if the stench of rotten toilets makes you feel ill!! don't forget a mallet and your sleeping bags!! as normal with a uk fest plan for very wet and very hot. always have a meeting point in case you get lost or lose phones etc. I normally eat at the delikate as they put on a full meal from about 6pm i also go for the noodles as they are better value for money.

go and see Uriah Heep and Amon Amarth, Rammstein are amazing live and a must see, slipknot are really good too.

have a great time.

"Only Metalhead...".. where have you been!?!?!? This Forum's rammed full of us! ;o) Even 'RedMist' plays in the mighty Doooom Legends that are 'The Wounded Kings' (PS got the new shirt through the post the other day - marvellous!)
  • Options
    Ticket prices :-(
  • Options
    Tickets ordered! £400 down the swanee
  • Options
    I know you've got the tickets, but i've been going for last 6 years now, first 3 as a punter, last 3 as a volunteer, i should be going again as a volunteer this year. I've found download to have a good friendly atmosphere, especially in the 2nd year where i ended up going by myself due to friends dropping out at the last minute (i was 18 at the time) and i was able to talk to people and share a drink with them. the experience has since got better with volunteering which i would wholeheartedly recomend if you get the chance

for a strapping 14 year old, it should be fine, the crowd is pretty good and the mosh pits are friendly and you will be helped up should you fall down, theres generally pretty good manners in the pits, still be careful

Obvious pitfalls are getting separated, ease of getting alcohol should that concern you,

Camping is easy if you turn up early though for a small tent there are always places, theres plenty of water/toilets/food in the campsites, though ques do get quite long in the morning. there is information points in every campsite (where i'm actually volunteering) so if theres anything you need like directions etc... go there and ask we're always happy to help XD

other pearls of wisdom, if you do get seperated, make a time and place before hand to meet at an obvious point of interest, a ride/stall/something, and agree that regardless of everything meet up there at a time (obvious after bands have finished etc...), keep you're valuables with you/use lockers, take zippable pockets if you're carrying stuff round, don't take anything bigger than a mobile. make sure you both have a watch given they last much longer than a phone.

finally buy a decent tent, not a £30 from tesco/argos, buy a decent one, and it will keep you dry and warm(ish) during rough weather and last till next time, the number of people i've seen with cheap tents that have become waterlogged at the slightest hint of rain.

also
    BOG ROLL!

hope that helps, anything else drop me a message :)
  • Options
    I wanted to do Desertfest but i'm a little skint at the moment :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't forget earplugs.
  • Options

I wanted to do Desertfest but i'm a little skint at the moment :(

Are Oasis playing?
  • Options
    Darkmadman - thank you for the inside track.

I spoke to my lad tonight and he's happier than a dog with two tails.

We've booked a camping pitch in the family area which I think was suggested on here and is good advice. My son wants us to get there early so that we can get up the front - extra loud earplugs required.

He is so excited - but in a good way.
  • Options
    awesome on getting family camping :), if you want to get up the front for most bands, generally aim to be there 1 or 2 bands prior, and work your way in from the sides, the barriers are set up in a T shape with the 2 sides of the crowd being separated, and a row spans out from the sound desk, if you want to get close, make sure you're in front of this, generally you can get relatively near the front by doing this.

awesome that he's getting excited, its a good line up this year XD
  • Options
    As well as the earplugs and the bog roll, don't forget wet wipes and at least half a dozen black bin liners.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

As well as the earplugs and the bog roll, don't forget wet wipes and at least half a dozen black bin liners.

prophylactics (you might get lucky)