Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Decorating advice requested: polysterene insulation

I've looked this up already on the internet but I feel somehow that I trust other lifer's advice better! Are there any painters and decorators out there? I'm about to redecorate three bedrooms, all of which have polysterene sheets on the external walls (about 4mm thick). Should they stay or should they go? Obviously if they stay then I will have to put up new wallpaper whereas if they go I can just paint the walls (my preference but I don't want this to dictate the issue). Do they have any real insulation properties and if so how much? I don't want to get rid of them if they do really help. Any advice? ........please ;-

Comments

• Options
    My advice would be get rid and have cavity wall insulation put in shouldn't cost you anything if you go though your gas supplier
  • Options
    In the UK there may be grants but I'm not sure about here in France. But I will look into this. Thanks.
  • Options

In the UK there may be grants but I'm not sure about here in F will look into this. Thanks.

A lot of french houses are built out of solid stone and do not have a cavity if yours is solid construction I would leave the polystyrene there or replace with foam backed plasterboard ( quite expensive ).
  • Options

In the UK there may be grants but I'm not sure about here in F will look into this. Thanks.

A lot of french houses are built out of solid stone and do not have a cavity if yours is solid construction I would leave the polystyrene there or replace with foam backed plasterboard ( quite expensive ).
    Agree, if they are solid walls go for the foam backed plasterboard (thermal board).
  • Options
    Polystyrene sheets are generally stuck to the walls to 'even' them up. Have just decorated a room over in Plumstead which had the stuff stuck all over it. Strip it off, line it or have it skimmed and as mentioned on here, get your cavity wall insulation done
  • Options
    If it is only on the outer walls as you said, it is probably to reduce a condensation problem. If you remove it you may end up with damp on those walls instead. Can you just strip it from one room first to check the results with a damp meter before you remove it from everywhere?
  • Options
    I'd get rid - polystyrene sheets are a fire risk and give off poisonous fumes when burning...
  • Options
    EPS can be a significant additional fire risk. I give you this extract from a document on the matter:

"Like practically all organic building materials polystyrene foam is combustible. However in practice
    its burning behaviour depends on the conditions under which it is used, as well as the inherent properties of the material. These inherent properties differ depending on whether the cellular material is made from EPS with or without a fire retardant additive. The bonding of other materials to cellular polystyrene also considerably affects its burning behaviour. For example, foil-faced products have an improved surface spread of flame performance. When installed correctly, expanded polystyrene products do not present an undue fire hazard. It is strongly recommended that expanded polystyrene should always be protected by a facing material, or by complete encapsulation."
    The emphasis is mine and the whole document is here: eumeps.org/show.php?ID=4471&psid=hmotjteo

If you don't know whther it has got a fire retardant added or has been protected by a facing material, I'd rip it out.
  • Options
    EPS can be a significant additional fire risk. I give you this extract from a document on the matter:

"Like practically all organic building materials polystyrene foam is combustible. However in practice
    its burning behaviour depends on the conditions under which it is used, as well as the inherent properties of the material. These inherent properties differ depending on whether the cellular material is made from EPS with or without a fire retardant additive. The bonding of other materials to cellular polystyrene also considerably affects its burning behaviour. For example, foil-faced products have an improved surface spread of flame performance. When installed correctly, expanded polystyrene products do not present an undue fire hazard. It is strongly recommended that expanded polystyrene should always be protected by a facing material, or by complete encapsulation."
    The emphasis is mine and the whole document is here: eumeps.org/show.php?ID=4471&psid=hmotjteo

If you don't know whther it has got a fire retardant added or has been protected by a facing material, I'd rip it out.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. Just to let you know, I put in cavity wall insulation with 7cm of fibre glass as insulation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2013
    A Chinese parrot decorated my living room...no sorry, that was poly styling.