Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

In the Baseball EDIT Rockies V Red Sox in the World Series

After being World Champions last year the Cardinals have been eliminated an embarresing 9.5 games behind the Cubs of all teams. They even managed to lose 18 - 1 at home to Huston last week.

Oh well, back to the football.

Comments

• whats your team henry,i used to collect the cards,and used to like a team called ...... angels,have you heard of them? i rember my american cousins saying they were shite
  • My team is the St Louis Cardinals.

The Los Angeles Angels (used to be the Anaheim then the California Angels) are doing pretty good this year. Need one more win to take the American West Division and qualify for the play-offs most likely with Boston, Cleveland and the NY Yankees.
  • will keep a eye out,i no when used to go over to america in the 80s there were poor,have one world series to there name though,recent as well,in the shadow of the dodgers though.
  • the worlds gone mad :-)
  • behave henry bloody softball for big american lumps.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]My team is the St Louis Cardinals.

The Los Angeles Angels (used to be the Anaheim then the California Angels) are doing pretty good this year. Need one more win to take the American West Division and qualify for the play-offs most likely with Boston, Cleveland and the NY Yankees.[/quote]

Blimey Henry, the Cards are my team aswell (NL)! Red Sox in the AL. Must be the red strips. Have you ever been to Busch?
  • So much fuss about a game of rounders. Tsk tsk!!
  • My beloved Giants shit out this season, despite the mighty Barry breaking the record. If there were relegation in baseball, my record this year for all my favourite teams would read thus:

Football:

Charlton Athletic - relegated
    Luton Town - relegated
    Imortal Albufeira - relegated

Cricket:

Northants Pro 40 - Relegated

Rugby:

Northampton Saints - Relegated

Baseball:

San Francisco Giants - Relegated

Oh, and for the record, my Dutch barman Eric supports Ado Den Haag - Relegated.

Just call me lucky...
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]

Just call me lucky...

With that record it's a wonder you don't shoot yourself although you'd probably miss..............:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]My team is the St Louis Cardinals.

The Los Angeles Angels (used to be the Anaheim then the California Angels) are doing pretty good this year. Need one more win to take the American West Division and qualify for the play-offs most likely with Boston, Cleveland and the NY Yankees.

Blimey Henry, the Cards are my team aswell (NL)! Red Sox in the AL. Must be the red strips. Have you ever been to Busch?

I went to the old stadium in 1991 but they moved a couple of years ago. I have family who live outside St Louis (pronouced "lewis") in a place called Mars so I adopted their team. I also like the Red Sox mainly cos I like Boston.
  • Sponsored links:

• Algarve - ask him what happened to FC Den Haag!

used to be my dutch team when i lived there.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving
    I went to the old stadium in 1991 but they moved a couple of years ago. I have family who live outside St Louis (pronouced "lewis") in a place called Mars so I adopted their team. I also like the Red Sox mainly cos I like Boston.[/quote]
    Never been to St Louis (must get there someday) but saw them at Shea (Mrs Molloy is a Mets fan) in a rare Mulder victory a couple of years ago. I see Lidge succumbed to Super Albert again last night. A couple of weeks ago it looked like they were going to get there - what a drag. Fingers crossed that Tony LR stays. Great man.
  • A's fan here, not doing so well this season and won't make the play offs sitting behind the Angels and the Mariners in the West.

Why Baseball? Well I spent two weeks in Japan a good few years ago and stayed in a provincial hotel. The only bloody telly I could understand was the baseball, so I got hooked.

Why the A's? Well it stands for 'Athletics', so when looking for a team to follow, it seemed the obvious choice.
  • [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving
    I went to the old stadium in 1991 but they moved a couple of years ago. I have family who live outside St Louis (pronouced "lewis") in a place called Mars so I adopted their team. I also like the Red Sox mainly cos I like Boston.
    Never been to St Louis (must get there someday) but saw them at Shea (Mrs Molloy is a Mets fan) in a rare Mulder victory a couple of years ago. I see Lidge succumbed to Super Albert again last night. A couple of weeks ago it looked like they were going to get there - what a drag. Fingers crossed that Tony LR stays. Great man.

You're more up on the team than I am by the sound of it. When they closed to 1 game behind and with a series against the Cubs at home I thought they would do it. One of the good things about Baseball is that the same teams don't win it every year (apart from the Yankees).

St Louis the City was OK but not worth a special trip IMHO other than to see the baseball, of course. I also saw the Baltimore Orioles beat the Mariners and try and catch in on TV when I can. Don't claim to be an expert but I love the feel and history of it all.
  • Even the ghastly Yankees haven't won the World Series for about 5-6 years and there's been a different winner every year since. I'm pretty sure that TV revs are equally divided or at least relatively evenly divided in baseball (and US sport in general). An example which the PL will never follow of course.
    The Channel 5 baseball prog every Sunday & Wednesday nights during the season with Jonny Gould and Josh Chetwynd is one of the most entertaining sports progs on telly.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]A's fan here, not doing so well this season and won't make the play offs sitting behind the Angels and the Mariners in the West.

Why Baseball? Well I spent two weeks in Japan a good few years ago and stayed in a provincial hotel. The only bloody telly I could understand was the baseball, so I got hooked.

Why the A's? Well it stands for 'Athletics', so when looking for a team to follow, it seemed the obvious choice.[/quote]

Have you read the book Moneyball about the A's? Explains the're ability to punch above their weight with one of the lowest wagebills in baseball. Trouble is everyone's starts to copy them so the edge has dimished.
  • Colorado Rockies v Boston Red Sox in the series
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]My team is the St Louis Cardinals.

Are the Angels still owned by Disney?..

Texas Rangers for me...
  • edited November 2007
    Don't tell me, in the basketball you support the Boston Celtics : - )
  • LOl.....Basketball is one American game I can't take too...

When I was in NY, I of course made a visit to Madison Square Garden to see the NY Rangers....they lost...lol
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]LOl.....Basketball is one American game I can't take too...

Good game to play - don't know why they thought at School that I might be cut out for basketball ; - ) - but not to watch.
  • I thought you meant ice hockey for a mo....
  • Come on you Red Sox. I have been fortunate enough to go to Fenway Park a couple of times for games against the Yankees. Both were brilliant occassions. It is one of the oldest baseball parks in the US & has an amazing atmosphere. It is the one featured in that Kevin Costner film: Field of Dreams. They even have a peanut man, and a hot dog man and.... Boston is an amazing city & I would recommend it for a visit if anybody is thinking of going to the US.
  • edited October 2007
    And the Sox win it in four.

Like last year the establised team beat the new franchise side that comes into the series on the back of a fantastic winning streak.

As Red Pete says part of field of Dreams in set at Fenway Park including this scene beneath the stand

Ray Kinsella: So what do you want?
    Terence Mann: I want them to stop looking to me for answers, begging me to speak again, write again, be a leader. I want them to start thinking for themselves. I want my privacy.
    Ray Kinsella: No, I mean, what do you WANT?
    [Gestures to the concession stand they're in front of]
    Terence Mann: Oh. Dog and a beer

Great film. Even better book. Shoeless Joe Jackson come to Iowa by W P Kinsella
  • The most one sided world series for donkeys. Boston goes crazy and the rest of the country yawns.

Go Cubs - 100 years of hurt....
  • Even for a Red Sox supporter like me, it was too one sided. US sports have the same problem that we have in the Premiership: uneven distribution of wealth. The Yankees & the Red Sox are so much bigger, & have so much more wealth, than most of the other teams that it surprising that anybody else ever gets a look in. The leagues are structured in such a way, however, that both these teams are in the same division during each season. This does make it harder for them both to get through to the "post-season" & compete for the World Series.

Sadly, money will always win in the long run on a sports field.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]Even for a Red Sox supporter like me, it was too one sided. US sports have the same problem that we have in the Premiership: uneven distribution of wealth. The Yankees & the Red Sox are so much bigger, & have so much more wealth, than most of the other teams that it surprising that anybody else ever gets a look in. The leagues are structured in such a way, however, that both these teams are in the same division during each season. This does make it harder for them both to get through to the "post-season" & compete for the World Series.

Sadly, money will always win in the long run on a sports field.[/quote]
    I'm a Red Sox fan aswell Pete but its not true that the uneven distribution of wealth is similar to the Prem League. Of course the wealth of the owners reflects in the wages paid byt he organisaitons (so the yankess, Sox, Angels, Dodgers have the highest payrolls) but there is a much more even distribution of TV monies in all US sports compared to the Prem League. OK Boston have won the World Series twice in 4 seasons but othe recent winners include the Florida Marlins (twice), Oakland A's and Chicago White Sox which have comparatively modest player payrolls. That's like Middlesbro, Villa, even Wigan winning the Prem League. Couldn't happen in the Premiership.
  • The other point if course is that the World Series is like an extended Play-Off at the end of the season which obviously gives the less wealthy clubs the chance to win the top prize. Even so, if you asked the clubs finishing in the top 8 in the Prem to have 5 and 7 game play-offs against each other to decide the overall winner, I reckon you'd still have it shared between Man U, Arsernal, Chelsea and Liverpool 9 times out of 10.