Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So now we know why Powell didn't come to Bromley. He prefers Spain.

Charlton Athletic manager Chris Powell is spending time in Spain, extending the club’s scouting network.

Chris Powell has gone on 'holiday' and fair play to him, because this has to be the coldest March that’s ever been seen since records started and he seems to have spotted something which can give him and his club an advantage.

Charlton are an established English side, consolidating in the Championship and looking to get back into the Premier League, which is where they belong after dropping down the leagues in emphatic fashion.

Spain has some of the best youngsters, youths and underrated players, who are all playing in smaller teams in La Liga and outside the top flight, because of the current demands and expectations of what it takes to be one of the best players in Spain.

That means it’s a market which can be exploited by sides that would have no realistic way of attracting those players, if they were at one of the La Liga giants.

Charlton have already got scouts in Spain and it’s encouraging to see the club’s manager taking the international break, as a chance to go and get involved himself, looking at potential new signings.

There is value to be had outside La Liga and it’s something that will aid Charlton in their push for Premier League promotion next season, as a mid-table finish is the most likely option in the current campaign.

He’s already planning, already looking at players and ways he can improve Charlton and give the side an edge in one of Europe’s most competitive leagues.

It effectively just gives the club a head start. Any top youngster or mature player playing outside La Liga is going to have interest for the same reasons that Charlton are watching certain players.

Therefore, it’s an important to try and gain an advantage. Charlton have to be in a more advanced position, where they can talk to players earlier because they don’t have the resources of other teams to draw on, teams that could outgun them if any bidding war erupted for an unknown player.

It also helps Charlton to develop their Spanish scouting network to rival other teams that have full time professionals already working in the country. It’s very positive to see that Powell has not simply watched this weekend come and go.

He’s got up, gone to Spain and is trying to help his side in a very competitive environment.

Which other countries should Charlton be looking in?

Comments

• Which other countries boroughs should Charlton be looking going to meetings in?

Bromley
  • Charlton are an established English side, consolidating in the Championship and looking to get back into the Premier League, which is where they belong after dropping down the leagues in emphatic fashion.
    Hmm, not sure I'd agree with that statement...it makes us sound like the Massives!
  • 2nd paragraph mentions how cold it is here - where does that come into it ?

I assume the squad has gone with him for some warm weather RnR.
  • Henry bit disappointed , you could have got the Bromley 'Chris Powell' evening moved to Spain! :-0
  • Definitely value to be had in Spain. Michu to Swansea for £2m is a prime example. Obviously we're still a distance from a player like Michu but it's a good indication.
  • Definitely value to be had in Spain. Michu to Swansea for £2m is a prime example. Obviously we're still a distance from a player like Michu but it's a good indication.

Correct, somewhere out there must be the next Miguel Llera...
  • ...or Alonso. And You Know which one I'm talking 'bout!
  • Without a sizeable injection of money, I believe we belong in the Championship and will do well to establish ourselves there. Reference CP in Spain, further evidence for me that we need to build through our Academy.
  • Granpa said:

Without a sizeable injection of money, I believe we belong in the Championship and will do well to establish ourselves there. Reference CP in Spain, further evidence for me that we need to build through our Academy.

I agree the academy is very important but not sure how SCP being in Spain is evidence of its importance unless you can explain.