Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would this squad have stayed up?

From my distant vantage point, it would seem that there is a new spirit in the club. Would this squad have been good enough to stay up? Or, is the standard so much lower?

Comments

• Interesting question, I think we have better quality players in midfield now but there is too little experience and too few leader types. Also we don't have anywhere near Prem quality at the back or up front.

This team, this season, in the Premier League would probably finish bottom.
  • WSSWSS
    edited September 2007
    no way, the standard in this league is crap (from all of the games seen so far) and we're not exactly setting the world on fire.

i'm with the saladman on this, not saying that next year they will not perform better but we would buy 5/6 players again i'm sure and only the best would stay from the current squad.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]

I pretty much agree. Players like Mills, McCarthy, Powell, Reid, Ilewumo, Todorov are not Premiership players for varying reasons.

Moo2, Samedo, Bougherra, Sam, Varney, possibly Fortune if he has a strong season, and same with Mcleod, Racon, Weaver have the potential to be Premiership players.
  • Reckon if Pards had this squad right from the off last season we would have stayed up TMA !
  • I think that this side may well be capable of surviving in the PL but it needs to play together and develop much more. The defenders hardly even recognise one another in the dressing room, let alone have an understanding on the pitch. The midfield is ok but players like Semedo are very inexperienced. The strike force really is an unknown quantity at the top level.

If we have a great season and the spirit, camaraderie and understanding develops to a high level then we have the basis of a squad which can compete in the PL I think we'll need to sign more squad strength though to be certain over the long term.
  • [cite]Posted By: revellinit[/cite]Reckon if Pards had this squad right from the off last season we would have stayed up TMA !

Diagree mate, we would never of had a chance to build or gel as we would of been fire-fighting from Day 1. Players like Fortune and Sam would never of got a consistent run to get their long-term confidence up and improve their game, players like Samedo wouldn't of been able to cope with the pace of the transition.

I think Pards is building us the core of a decent Premiership squad, that if promoted will do more than just battle for survival. But the key as always, will be getting us out of it in the first place.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]

Just cant agree, like for like all the replacements are better and will only get better, take your point "this season" though
  • It all reminds me of West Ham, the squad he took up was very much like the one at Charlton, and they finished in the top half.

We would go down now with this squad, but next season we would be a joy to watch in the Premier League finishing top half
  • This squad would get dicked in the Prem.

However, I still think we have a better team/squad than Derby.
  • this squad, next season could stay up, this squad this season could beat a premiership club in a cup match, this squad at the moment hasn't had enough time together to ride the pressure and set-backs that are part and parcel of the premiership...
  • Sponsored links:

• McCARTHY in the Prem makes me shudder with fear.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]McCARTHY in the Prem makes me shudder with fear.

Ohhhh yes.....
  • [cite]Posted By: revellinit[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]McCARTHY in the Prem makes me shudder with fear.

Ohhhh yes.....

We wouldn't have brought him if we were in the Premier League mind
  • No way. We would have been shipping goals at a more alarming rate than Derby
  • [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]this squad, next season could stay up, this squad this season could beat a premiership club in a cup match, this squad at the moment hasn't had enough time together to ride the pressure and set-backs that are part and parcel of the premiership...

very well summed up.
  • Defensively we would struggle, but in reality, the majority of the Premiership (outside the top four) is not all that. This current team with a couple of decent centre halves should survive lower to mid table.
  • This squad would have stayed up last season. I think it would have done better than wigan and/or west ham as well as sheff Utd and Watford.
  • We would finish 2nd Bottom Derby are clearly worse than we are, unsure about Spurs though :-)
  • I think with Darren Bent we might have had a chance. Slim but a chance.
  • I reckon 5 in and 5 out next summer which will need some good loans or the best part of £15M plus a new supporters director of course !

Not going to name names but our best XVI are not good enough for mid-table in terms of pace, finesse or experienced strikers. The main improvement is the balance of the squad and aggression - which Pardew has mentioned several times - remember this time last year our central midfield options?!

I think we have to work out who our best strike pair are and where Andy Reid should be playing
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree with the general consensus that this team would be found wanting in The Premiership, particularly defensively.

I've already thought about what would happen to this squad if promoted. I think it would just need 4 Premiersip class additions and the rest would cope OK (and I'd include Iwelumo in that perhaps).

I love what Pardew's doing. I remember envying Wham in their first season in The Premiership with their exciting, attacking football when we had boring old Curbs' rubbish. I'm praying that this time next year we'll see a repeat of that (manager-wise of course).
  • As well as defensive weaknesses, this squad is still far too short of breakthrough creativity for the Prem. You can do very well in this League by doing the simple stuff well - getting crosses in, winning headers in the box, running at defenders, sharp finishing, etc.

You need an extra spark to hold your own in the Prem - Darren Bent had it, and Reid in flashes, but none of the rest of them did last year, and that's where we'd need to improve next year too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]As well as defensive weaknesses, this squad is still far too short of breakthrough creativity for the Prem. You can do very well in this League by doing the simple stuff well - getting crosses in, winning headers in the box, running at defenders, sharp finishing, etc.

You need an extra spark to hold your own in the Prem - Darren Bent had it, and Reid in flashes, but none of the rest of them did last year, and that's where we'd need to improve next year too.

that's an excellent point Weegie
  • No i dont think we would

We have got decent players from teh lowere leagues for sure, not good enough to keep us up

Also that is a worry if we do go up are they good enough?
  • there's no way this squad would stay up , lack of quality basically and the so called strength and depth of the squad, everyone was chaffing on about our second 11 being good enough to beat most sides in the championship, were beaten by a division one side in extra time