Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I agree with Pards,but for christ sake Izale

Totally agree with pards that if we got to the quarter final of league cup and finished 8th in the league nobody would remember it,but how many chances is Izale McCleod going to miss.Just remember the Lisbie slaters he used to run his nuts off as well but in the end that wasn't enough for you.At present I would back Lisbie in front of goal as opposed to McCleod.

Comments

• scary thought but he's an expensive lisbie and he is fourth choice at the moment ..... it is all about the league and getting back to the promised land!
  • totally agreed morts but how many one on ones is he goin to miss.
  • good job he went down against Narwich otherwise we'd be two points worse off. Think it's getting to him and he is now trying too hard to score. One off his arse or knee and he'll be off and running. Was willing the lad to score but ...
    We gave Lisbie 11 years to prove himself so I think Izale deserves a bit more time yet !!
  • He just gets excited in front of goal. He's the youngest of all our main 4 strikers, so as we've all seen he's not exactly the finished article.

What we have seen is that he's got explosive pace and generally good control, creates chances for others, and gets in good goalscoring positions.

We've also seen that opponents are scared sh*tless of him. He's won 4 penalties already, in relatively little time on the pitch.

An expensive Lisbie? Who knows - but lets judge him when he gets a run of matches, eh?
  • edited September 2007
    Totally agree Oggy. I have respect for those people who went last night and saw him miss a hatfull, I'd probably be pretty fed up with him. A wider perspective though suggests that he is trying a bit too hard but has genuine pace and got himself into a number of good positions last night. Its unfair to compare him with Lisbie on the strength of one performance compared to the 200 that Lisbie made.
  • Don't know about scaring opponents sh*tless he scares me sh*tless everytime he's in front of goal.
  • Totally agree with you Large, when he missed the one on one you could see the confidence just drain away...

It's like he doesn't believe he's good enough to score at this level, considering sticking the ball in the back of the net doesn't change at any level this aspect *should* be the easiest to rectify. If he wasn't getting into the positions or making life difficult for defenders i'd be more concerned that he wouldn't be able to make the step up, but he is, a couple of sessions with the sports psychologist might just help... or even better a goal after coming on from the bench at the weekend.
  • You have to give him a decent run of matches, Steve. He's doing everything right except take his chances.

I remember, years ago, going to see Fulham play when Bobby Robson was their manager.
    They blooded a converted fullback up front and he missed sitter after sitter, but he never stopped trying and getting in good positions. His name: Malcolm MacDonald.

Now maybe our MacLeod is no Super Mac. But just supposing he could be.
    Let's not destroy him like we destroyed Lisbie.
  • he's a good young prospect
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]Totally agree with you Large, when he missed the one on one you could see the confidence just drain away...

It's like he doesn't believe he's good enough to score at this level, considering sticking the ball in the back of the net doesn't change at any level this aspect *should* be the easiest to rectify. If he wasn't getting into the positions or making life difficult for defenders i'd be more concerned that he wouldn't be able to make the step up, but he is, a couple of sessions with the sports psychologist might just help... or even better a goal after coming on from the bench at the weekend.

He needs a goal, simple as that. Think of it from his perspective: all our strikers have been scoring apart from him; he knows he has to force his way into the team; this is his big chance and he blows a one on one, its bound to affect his confidence. Good man management will be to keep encouraging him to use his pace to get into goal scoring positions and re-assure him that the goals will come. Darren Bent at Spurs at the moment looks at times like he's got two left feet and couldn't hit a barn door . Are we all going to lump on some Spuds fans who are saying he is a useless waste of money? No he's just needs to get some confidence. So it is with McLeod.
  • Sponsored links:

• i dont agree with pards. what a waste of time and money.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]i dont agree with pards. what a waste of time and money.
    oh dear.

what time did you end up getting back B? I was glad i didnt go when it edged into extra time.

i was more disappointed that i had to buy my luton supporting director breakfast this morning than the result. that's bad isnt it?!
  • he scored hat ful of goals for MK Dons so he knows where the goal is.... He's trying to bloody hard - or reads this board and sees NSS constantly slagging him is getting to him :-))))))

He's had a few sub appearances and 2/3 starts int he cup - too much expectation from people. The boy won us the game against Norwich or had you forgotten that. Strikers are not just about goals - admittedly it helps but if he's doing the other stuff goals will come.
  • He he.

Must admit, if I had known the squad he was going to put out I probably wouldnt have bothered.

Dont understand how he can play a full team against Swindon, then play a lot of the big guns against Stockport at home and then when things are getting interesting, in the trickiest fixture so far he plays more or less an entire reserve line up.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]Totally agree with you Large, when he missed the one on one you could see the confidence just drain away...

He needs a goal, simple as that. Think of it from his perspective: all our strikers have been scoring apart from him; he knows he has to force his way into the team; this is his big chance and he blows a one on one, its bound to affect his confidence. Good man management will be to keep encouraging him to use his pace to get into goal scoring positions and re-assure him that the goals will come. Darren Bent at Spurs at the moment looks at times like he's got two left feet and couldn't hit a barn door . Are we all going to lump on some Spuds fans who are saying he is a useless waste of money? No he's just needs to get some confidence. So it is with McLeod.

Spot on, Bing.

If only the critics who say he is a waste of money would put themselves in the boots of the player...........

Last season, McLeod wasn't leading goalscorer in Division 2 by accident, he earned that right with consistancy.
    He knows where the goal is. As you say, he just needs a goal.

In any case, he's earned us 4 penalties already this season.
    Without his previous contribution in the League Cup, there would not even have been a Luton match in which to miss his 4 golden chances.

Not to mention the 2 extra precious points he was crucial in earning against Norwich.
  • we are spurs fans, ready to turn on our own when its not going our way... tho must admit when he didnt run for that ball near the end to chase it down was pretty poor. But he doesnt deserve to be branded the new lisbie. wish people would give people more time.

Still at 21.50 and pards doesnt care - well i do care cos i gave up my time and money to go over there not to see us turned over. my last game till 10th nov and what a memory.

got home just after midnight WSS so not too bad.
  • you cant knock our strikers at the moment, the only one that's getting a decent run of games is big chris...and that's not good for practice and its certainly not good for a striker's confidence...the only real shame about losing last night was that the cup provided extra games for the players to get a run out, though going out at this stage might prove to be a blessing in disguise if luton pull a juicy draw for the next round as games like that distract from the league, the real objective...what's more important is that in order to miss a chance you have to have put yourself in the frame in the first place and mcleod certainly seems to be a player that is willing and can do that, unlike some we've seen that were either not having a go or would always pass it to somebody else instead of having a go themselves...give me a greedy and goal hungry striker that misses lots of chances than one that occasionaly scores any day...
  • Exactly, ltgr!
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]
    Dont understand how he can play a full team against Swindon, then play a lot of the big guns against Stockport at home and then when things are getting interesting, in the trickiest fixture so far he plays more or less an entire reserve line up.

fair point, but think it was more to do with timing. We have 5 games in two weeks, and probably thought best to wholesale change than pick at it.
    Its clear now he didn't have too much interest in this cup. Sending a reserve team at this stage showed exactly where his priorities are.
    Whether it was right or not will only be justified if we go and get good points from the next three league games.
  • i think the changes last night had more to do with the fact that they were visibly tiring last saturday...
  • Sponsored links:

• does make my laugh though that athletes in peak physical condition are unable to play 2 football matches in seven days.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]does make my laugh though that athletes in peak physical condition are unable to play 2 football matches in seven days.

or 3 in 8 days, or 4 in 11 if they had turned out last night...bit early in the season to be fully match fit...
  • edited September 2007
    i'll buy the other stuff (i wasn't referring to Charlton specifically, but football in general), but not that bit.

They have been training 16 weeks, having already had good core fitness, and would of played up to 16 games by now. If you're not match fit by then, you never will be.
  • the problem is with a squad our size players need games to keep ticking over. That team should easily have been able to win that last night on talent - desire is another thing and that must come from the Manager surely.

There's me thinking we were shit in this cup just under Curbs - looks like it just the club as a whole.

I mean last season was our best ever run in this bloody cup.
  • Maybe the board has an influence on what to go for ?
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Maybe the board has an influence on what to go for ?

LOL, i wondered where you had been hiding.

Plaese tell me how you come to this conclusion.
  • edited September 2007
    i agree with the board IF this is the case. it could be possible i dont rule out anything in this world. maybe dowie last year didnt listen to them regarding the league cup and the league !!! lol anyway its good to see the younguns get a run out how did Harry Arter play as I keep lawding him how was sinclair. young mcleod will come good in the end has the movement abality as D Bent just needs to be calm in front of goal and the club will have another big asset that they can sell ;-)
  • Just my opinion peeps and I don't think he will prove me wrong.If I am wrong I will hold my hands up,but if I'm not let's see how many of you say I was right.Next up I was never a Lisbie basher in any of his time at Charlton because I felt he always put it in and I believe he has a lot of ability but not the confidence.But just remember the comparisons between Lisbie and Mccleod are unfair,Lisbie was being asked to do it in the Premier league and is now (and always has done when on loan) scored goals in the Championship,McCleod has scored in the 3rd division and has yet not scored in Championship.Big difference peeps he is being asked to step up a big level.He aint that young I remember him playing for Derby and Sheff Wed before MK Dons,maybe them clubs didn't think he could cut it at this level,who knows I truly hope he proves me wrong,but I am entitled to my opinion and will continue to give it and if people don't like it or agree with it don't read my posts.I don't agree with everything I read but thats life.Finally anyone remeber Andy Jones scored shite loads for Port Vale but couldn't hack it at a higher lever with us.Those who were followers pre-premiership years will remember.
  • Everyone is entitiled to their opinion NSS, you bash away mate, that's what this is all about.

But it was only a month ago some were saying Ilewumo was the worst striker to wear the shitr, and MoM ASamedo was getting knocked just a week ago.
  • nss i actually thought exactly what you said about andy jones yesterday, big fee at the time (£350k) and the bloke couldn't cut it at the higher level.....
    izale looks very raw and i don't think he's got the greatest touch , looks more of an athlete than a footballer...
    but given time he might become the new darren bent
    *wakes up in a wet patch*