Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club to be fined for not taking League cup seriously.

edited September 2007 in General Charlton
.. not really, but perhaps give money back to all the fans who hiked up there to see our fist team cruise into the next round, braving the elements and paying good dosh, only to see the 'reserves' lose.

On the other hand we do have a pretty hectic couple of weeks. Perhaps if we don't go up then those concerned could be reimbursed?

:P

Comments

• I was expecting that number of changes and predicted so on Monday. I was happy that the team we put out was good enough to win but didn't. Oh well. If we want competition for places then those on the sidelines needed a game for match fitness and to press a claim for the first eleven. The fact that no-one really did is neither here or there. We learned some things though. McLeod is nervous, Moo2 can't defend, and Arter has a promising future. I wasn't too disappointed.
  • Good news about Arter. Moo2 cant defend did he have a shocker last night then ?
  • Although Moo2 looked classy in first games of the season I'm very happy to have Millsy back.
  • edited September 2007
    From what I saw of the Stoke match, I agree that Moo2 can't defend.
  • Play Moo2 in midfield, then - we're a bit short of young European midfielders......
  • yeah i know we expected some changes but 10 was OTT

A refund would be nice for though who wasted time and money to follow the first team
  • Feel sorry for those of you who made the trek and feel cheated but you must have expected a load of changes, especially if the players were looking tired second half on Saturday?

Personally I can't stand the Carling Cup, I think it's an absolute waste of time and would have done exactly what Pardew did and changed it all about, especially as on paper I still think we put out a team that should have progressed.
  • Made the trek ... its Luton ... 45 minutes from London Bridge.
  • Errmmm, yeah, true, not exactly a 'trek'.
  • If this defeat stops us being complacent about our league prospects it will be worth it.

The priority this season is promotion. Yes a cup run is nice but I would rather be knocked out than win with injuries to Reid say or bookings and sending offs to other key players.

Pardew is still learning about his squad and he will have learnt about the character and ability of some of them last night.
  • Sponsored links:

• agree with all of that Len. (Shame i don't think the same about the Lisbie post :-) )
  • could've dropped Reid, do any of the rest matter that much individually i.e he's irreplaceable?
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]could've dropped Reid, do any of the rest matter that much individually i.e he's irreplaceable?

I wouldn't want to lose the likes of Weaver, Big Chris, Mills, ZZ, Samedo, Sam, Fortune, Varney or Powell at the moment to a pointless Red card or reckless challenge
  • Barn, I just get the feeling you want your daily moan about Pards, and this is todays theme
  • Even though it was a frustrating evening, it was still worth the trek/stroll to Luton. On refection, it was a good work out for the understudies and me thinks it all bodes well for the future. However, I really wanted us to progress to the next round and play a prem team so that we can use that match as a benchmark of we may fare next season shoudl we gain promotion (at little early in the season I know). But I have to agree that promotion is the main objective and at the end of the day should we meet this objective it will ultimately reimburse the travel expenses to Luton by means of a freebie season ticket for next season.

Up the Addicks!!
  • Should players really need to be rested or look tires already?

We have had international breaks.

You never see non league players moaning about being tired and plenty of them have full time jobs
  • edited September 2007
    I have mixed feelings over this. On the one had I feel that fans are being short-changed by fielding a mainly reserve team - Look at ManUre tonight - just the eleven changes for them. On the other hand I understand why teams want to rest players. Personally I blame the Authorities for not clamping down on this and insist that clubs field full strength teams. Then I think "what does that actually mean?" For some clubs their squads are packed with top players not all getting a game week in week out.

Frankly I think that the best thing to do is to make the Carling Cup a reserve team competition for Prem and Championship with other divisions allowed to field their first team players if they so wish. Prem and Championship teams would have to nominate their reserve players at the start of the season and can swap four in/out during the season. At least then the punters can decide if they want to turn up and watch some second stringers or not. There we are sorted.....:-)
  • Basically that's what it is already though isn't it Bing? Until the latter stages at least. How many Man U fans would have gone to last night's game expecting to see their first team turn out? Had I been going to Kenilworth Road on Tuesday night I would also have expected to see a number of changes from our team that beat Leicester - especially given the number of fixtures at the moment.

I think the cup's basically a waste of time and should be scrapped - save our energy for the league and FA Cup, two competitions that actually matter.
  • devils advocate, moi?
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]devils advocate, moi?

Nope, you've admitted you've got a downer on the manager, and you seem to want to use anything as an excuse to have a go
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2007
    na, although I have concerns about him as you may have guessed. I rated him to start with cos he ticks a lot of the right boxes, but being objective my jury is still out on him in some ways.

What do you think - 2 seasons before final judgement on him as a manager? Of course he's got a track record which seems to indicate he can get us promoted, although at the same time its not just the manager that can affect the fortunes of a club. Of course its just my opinion, and I'm about 60/40 in favour right now.

All adds to a hearty debate though right?
  • [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]I think the cup's basically a waste of time and should be scrapped - save our energy for the league and FA Cup, two competitions that actually matter.

It's only a watse of time if you're one of the big 4 and playing in the Champions league. To everyone else it's a route to European football.
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]na, although I have concerns about him as you may have guessed. I rated him to start with cos he ticks a lot of the right boxes, but being objective my jury is still out on him in some ways.

What do you think - 2 seasons before final judgement on him as a manager? Of course he's got a track record which seems to indicate he can get us promoted, although at the same time its not just the manager that can affect the fortunes of a club. Of course its just my opinion, and I'm about 60/40 in favour right now.

All adds to a hearty debate though right?

Debate about what? Who on earth would you have in his place?
  • [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]Basically that's what it is already though isn't it Bing? Until the latter stages at least. How many Man U fans would have gone to last night's game expecting to see their first team turn out? Had I been going to Kenilworth Road on Tuesday night I would also have expected to see a number of changes from our team that beat Leicester - especially given the number of fixtures at the moment.

I think the cup's basically a waste of time and should be scrapped - save our energy for the league and FA Cup, two competitions that actually matter.

You are right so my point is why not come out and actually make it official through the whole tournament? Either that or as you say, scrap this devalued waste of time competition.
  • debate about how good he is, cripes this is a football isn't it??