Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cardiff City v Charlton Ath | Championship | 16 April 2013 | Preview, Views, Predictions & Line Ups

The Introduction

Sod this preview lark. How the flipping heck are we at Preview Towers expected to make any sense of what Charlton are going to do next.

A breath taking result v Barnsley after wins v Leeds and Bolton plus a draw at Brighton have left fans calculating what set of results could see us sneak into the play-offs, however unrealistic that might be. Regardless the late flourish has put a smile on everyone's face (bar Golfie of course). Now to finish off the season in style.

The Opposition

In a barmy, bonkers, baffling season Cardiff have been consistent enough to leave the rest behind and now need just one point to clinch promotion to the top flight. Their home form (15 wins, 4 draws and only 2 defeats) has left their rivals in their wake. But they can be beaten as the nine goal thriller at the Valley proved.

Unlike other sides who have relied on just one scorer (Palace and Blackburn spring to mind) Cardiff have shared the goals around. No Cardiff player has got into double figures but only Watford have scored more.

In Midfield Craig Bellamy is still pulling the strings but AFKA's favourite, Mark Hudson, has dropped out of the team in recent weeks. There was a promotion clause in the deal that took Mark Hudson to Cardiff. If it still applies no one knows but it might be worth checking the contract just in case.

The Line Up

Never change a winning side is the truism of all football truisms but Powell showed at Brighton that he is prepared to do just that if needed. Regardless we at the Towers expect to see the same 4-4-1-1 with Yann dropping deep that started at Oakwell.

If not, then expect Wilson to come in to beef up the midfield with Pritchard man marking Bellamy.

The bench is also likely to be the same although Stephens maybe preferred to Green, if fit.

The Trivia

Of all the clubs in the Championship only Peterborough have never played in the top flight. Of the others, the Club with the longest absence from the elite is Cardiff, who were relegated in 1961/2. It's been a long wait.

The Prediction.

5 - 4? 6 - 0? you might as well get a couple of dice, roll them and go with whatever comes up but we're saying 2 - 2. Pritchard and Kerkar.

Comments

• I hoping we're going to be party poopers but I'm going for a nervy 2-1 Cardiff win
  • Party poopers 0-1 Morrison
  • Squeaky bum time for the cardiff dragqueens as red red robin goes bob bob bobbing along... 1-0 and 60 points on the board...
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • 1-0 to us, I just hope we don't score too many or else they'll be looking for revenge when we play them again next year in the Premier League.

:)
  • Sorry, but we just can not win away again. Especially to the top team that have only lost twice at home all season. After all, we only have a 1st division squad.

or can we?

I have that old feeling from last year when whoever we were due to play you thought 'we will win this'. This will be a big ask though, but we should be playing for fun.

Depends how early Bellend gets sent off for kicking Pritchard but think we may squeak it 0-1 Charlton.
  • 1-1. Jackson.
  • chazza said:

1-1. Jackson.

Reckon the same. They will have some nerves, and we are on fire. They arent top of the league for nothing so I reckon a draw. Will suit us fine and keep the momentum going
  • Sponsored links:

• I kind of fancy our players to thrive at the occasion. Our player's confidence is sky high and we're scoring for fun

Our lads will also have remembered putting 5 past this lot too
  • has anyone answered the question; where is Haynes; dropped or injured?
  • After our recent run, anyone who predicts anything less than a 7-0 win is having a laugh. So, unchanged starting line-up and 7-0 to the reds (the reds from London that is).
  • I'll eat my chocolate socks if we win @ Cardiff
    They'll get revenge for our ridiculous win earlier on in the season and can see them racking up a few
    4-1 to the Taffs
  • edited April 2013
    Like most games of football the first goal in this game will be very important, this however is not most games, Cardiff only need a draw to get over the line and into the promised land. We have been there and done that and we know just how tense an atmosphere that fact creates. If we can frustrate them or even nick an early goal the tension will rise and the nerves will set in, we can win this!

We could of course concede first, after which the Cardiff team would relax and start playing the football we know they can and we could be on the end of a drubbing (anyone recall the last game at Burden park?). Only time will tell but, our best hope is to play the crowd, therein lays their Achilles heel.

Personally I'd change shape to 4-5-1, drop Fuller to the bench and bring Dale Stephens back into a central midfield three alongside Hughes and Jackson. That gives us almost as attacking a line up and yet more able to frustrate and hold. Mackay is not the sort to sit back however, so two maybe preferred up front to relieve any continued pressure.

With the form we are in and the pressure Cardiff will be playing under this match could go either way, one thing I can't see is a nil's each.

1-3 to us
  • I think bringing Yann off and leaving fuller on saturday tells us 4-5-1 with Yann up top on tuesday.
  • Keep the crowd quiet for 20 mins then I think we may just sneak it. 2-0 Goals in the 35th min by Yann and a breakaway goal in the 92nd minute for Obika.
  • I think bringing Yann off and leaving fuller on saturday tells us 4-5-1 with Yann up top on tuesday.

Thought that at the time. Bought off Jacko and Yann to protect them for Tuesday.

I must say that I would rather beat Wolves on Sat. Would be pleased if they went down.

I used to get fed up with 'we are too bigger club to be playing outside Prem/1st Division' and remember when we had just got back to the Valley and we were mugged even though we were far the better side. Ref allowed a goal that was the clearest off side I have ever seen - only player in our half other than our Goal keeper. And I do not mean just in our half. Closer to our Penalty area than the half way line. To make it worse I was sitting next to a Wolves supporter in their end, and he was very nice about it.

• 0-7
  • Have a feeling we are going to be out played on this one. 3-0 to the sheep-lovers
  • Sponsored links:

• 0-2 us, in front of a very unhappy full-house.
  • a 2-1 with a scrambled effort in the last 5 mins to seal it ... some booing fro the cardiff fans becasue football is now broken..
  • 1-0 to the Addicks but as Watford only manage a point at Millwall, Cardiff get promoted anyway and everyone goes home happy.
  • used the dice method 3-3
  • 10-8 to Charlton after going 4-0 down in the first 20 minutes. Hamer to round off the goals with a 30 yard screamer for the 10th.
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial
    The Cardiff match is all-ticket and tickets are no longer being posted out, so must be bought from commercial centre. 578 sold (MW) #cafc
  • I didn't know that Bellamy's a midfielder now, guessing he's lost his legs but I thought he would have been too direct to be a playmaker.

I'm going to go for 1-1. Cardiff won't want to lose so will play cautiously, whilst we should be able to nick one and everyone leaves happy.
  • They'll be anxious to get the one point they need for promotion, we are on a have it well away day roll

Draw: Cardiff City 1 v CAFC 1
  • They only need a point to go up. They'll be nervous. 0-1 Addicks.