Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

First game of golf

Andy Lopata, Vince and Daz are taking me for my first game of golf this afternoon as a birthday treat.

Never had a lesson in my life, had one session on the driving range about 20 years ago, and played pitch and putt a few times in Yarmouth years back.

Thankfully it is only a 9 hole and they are all par 3, but it could still be a long afternoon...

Comments

• CAN THINK OF NOTHING WORSE
  • Good luck to you Algarve.

And i'm sure,like me,you'll probably post a score that Ronnie o' sullivan would be proud of!
  • Algarve: The best advice for a golf novice is to try not to hit the ball hard. Keep your eyes right on the ball and just swing the club through the line, you'll be surprised how far it will go with no effort at all.

Once you start trying to really hit the ball hard then you have got no chance.

Also, no matter how bad things get, try to re-set yourself between each shot because you can lose a heap of shots by getting flummoxed and playing bad shots because you are not ready to play.
  • Do you putt from the rough?..
  • Try the roman villa mini golf in Villamoura if it gets too much for you.
  • Lol I played all 36 holes of that in May! Go to Vilamoura every year on a golfing holiday and love the 19th hole bar!
  • Golf is a sport for people that either have too much time on their hands or are no good at any real sports :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Golf is a sport for people that either have too much time on their hands or are no good at any real sports :-)

You sir, are a football snob. :0)

A soon as some gorgeous cricket loving woman gets chatting to you, I'll bet it'd be. "Well I don't think Marcus Trescothick should be recalled now - it's time to move on - drink luv?" ;0)
  • edited September 2007
    The idea of hitting a tiny white ball with what resembles an anorexic hammer into a small hole so far away that you can't even see it has never really appealed to me. I can see it is a difficult game to play, but really can't see why it takes over some people's lives.
  • Well, back from the course, thoroughly enjoyed it. Par 27, hit 55! Did manage to par two holes, managed 9 on two others... had a fiver each on nearest the pin on the ninth and won the cash!

Ketters, in my case you are right, no good at any other sport... and no good at golf either.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Well, back from the course, thoroughly enjoyed it. Par 27, hit 55! Did manage to par two holes, managed 9 on two others... had a fiver each on nearest the pin on the ninth and won the cash!

Ketters, in my case you are right, no good at any other sport... and no good at golf either.

Not a pop at your personally Algarve, just thought I'd stir the thread up a bit :-)
  • Golf is the best way to ruin a good walk...
  • I always find that hole with the windmill makes a big dent on my score card ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Well, back from the course, thoroughly enjoyed it. Par 27, hit 55! Did manage to par two holes, managed 9 on two others... had a fiver each on nearest the pin on the ninth and won the cash!

Not a pop at your personally Algarve, just thought I'd stir the thread up a bit :-)

Not taken as such mate, all I can say is don't knock it 'til you have tried it...
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Andy Lopata, Vince and Daz are taking me for my first game of golf this afternoon as a birthday treat.

Never had a lesson in my life, had one session on the driving range about 20 years ago, and played pitch and putt a few times in Yarmouth years back.

Thankfully it is only a 9 hole and they are all par 3, but it could still be a long afternoon...

dont forget to shout 'goooaaaallll' when it goes in the hole...
  • [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]dont forget to shout 'goooaaaallll' when it goes in the hole...

thats what i do, but the Mrs gets right upset with that!! ;-)
  • Golf is a great game if you dont take yourself or it to seriously, stick to the rules but push them as far as you can without breaking them, the dress code is my favourite, the posher the club the worst the outfit becomes, in the summer months this always raises a few eyebrows a dodgy shirt, a pair of shorts along with the Charlton/England tattoo on my leg sets the tongues wagging in the clubhouse, a bit like this one!!!!!!!!!