Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the point of the semi circle

edited September 2007 in General Charlton
at the top of the penalty box?

Comments

• You are not allowed to take a free kick within it.

I think.
  • 10 yards from the penalty spot i think so you cant be inside it for a penalty.
  • That's it!! I knew it was something like that. That's the reason it's there. But maybe I'm right too.
  • i can't ever recall seeing a fk from inside it, so you are probably right - it's not a pen if a foul happens inside there is it

i've only been watching football for 31 years
  • Why would you not be allowed to take a free kick from within it? Under certain circumstances, you can take a free kick from within the penalty area...
  • as someone said about being 10 yards from the penalty spot, also that's the reason for the center circle
  • i'm sure you can take a free kick within it. Its only for the ten yard rule from the penalty spot.

Though i'm sure the ladies will tell you it makes the pitch look prettier.... :-)
  • Nah, that's the 6 yard box
  • 'Kin 'ell! The Semi - Circle is just to keep everyone 10 yards away from the Penalty Spot. The Centre Circle is just there to keep every opponent 10 yards from the Centre Spot. As for the 6 yard box - I think it is just there for Goal Kicks.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite] As for the 6 yard box - I think it is just there for Goal Kicks.

I thought it was invented for playing Headers & Volleys - You can't score a header or volley from inside the 6 yard box!!

Indirect freekicks for the attacking team cannot be taken inside the 6 yard box, nor can drop balls.
  • Sponsored links:

• How long have some of you been watching football?

As DJ Davey said 'kin 'ell
  • The semi circle is for when you play "it on the line" - it is an added escape route when the person who is "it" is trying to catch you.
  • edited September 2007
    When an opponent fouls, do you have to take the free kick in the D or behind the line ?

And do you get one or two touches ?
  • can anyone explain the offside rule?
  • who are those guys on the sidelines doing the semaphore?
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]who are those guys on the sidelines doing the semaphore?

They are there to help direct the cameramen from Sky
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]How long have some of you been watching football?

As DJ Davey said 'kin 'ell

be fair, we've had strikers that i'm sure have wondered what those three bits of wood with a net attached is for...
  • this has to be a wind up.
    or has all that ice hockey frozen your brain oakster?
  • A few years back I used to wonder what that white spot in the penalty area was as I hadn't seen us use it for anything in such a long time.
  • bloke next to me at the leicester game had to explain to another guy about how you can't be offside from a throw in...

he then asked what about a header forward...?
  • Sponsored links:

• What about the semi circle in the corner :-)
  • sorry chaps it is my fault - after a season of playing & watching a lot of football on fully marked out gridiron pitches I don't know if I'm coming or going......

as any of my MLS watching brethren will testify, watching the NY Red Bulls playing football on the NY Jets NFL pitch is full on migraine inducing.......