Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: What a Season

Charlton conceded their first goal away from home since early March, as Middlesbrough came back from 2-0 down to rescue a point, and end Charlton’s late playoff surge. In the end, results elsewhere in the league meant that even three points for the Addicks wouldn’t have been enough, but a guaranteed top-half finish is a sensational return for a team that many expected to struggle in their first season back in the Championship.

It took only 30 seconds for Powell’s in-form side to take the lead at the Riverside, Bradley Pritchard smashing home from close range. Their lead was doubled inside 20 minutes, as Williams turned the ball past his own ‘keeper. The home fans voiced their frustration, and after the restart the much-improved Boro clawed one back with 15 minutes remaining through Dutchman Marvin Emnes. Substitute Scott McDonald, who had such an influence on the reverse fixture back in November, was to be the home sides saviour once again, netting the equaliser in the dying minutes of the game.

For Powell, and the hundreds of Powell lookalikes in the crowd, it will certainly be two points dropped, but the result should not detract from the achievement of consolidating second tier football at the Valley for another season.

Reflecting on the season as a whole, what Charlton have shown is that their romping title win last year was not simply down to a weakened League One. With the majority of the side continuing to play regular first-team football this season, the players have shown that they can compete at the higher level, and many will be hoping to continue developing their football under Powell come August.

It hasn’t all been plain sailing for the Addicks this season. Two games in, and only a last-gasp Zigic goal on the opening day prevented Charlton from maximum points. It proved to be a false dawn however, and three straight defeats brought Championship life back to earth with a bump.

Charlton’s season has been loosely based on two key factors, away form and mini runs. The Addicks boast one of the best away records in the league, with only the top three sides claiming more away wins. Until late March however, the home form has let them down, and although they have won their last three at home, the upturn in form has come too late for fans dreaming of back-to-back promotions.

Having flirted with the relegation zone for much of the season (true of many teams this year, as anyone from 17th down could be relegated on the last day), Charlton have pulled out occasional bursts of inspiration that have saved them at difficult times. Three straight wins in November, one a memorable 5-4 victory over leaders Cardiff, and a similar three game streak in January saw Charlton pick up points just when they were needed. Johnnie Jackson’s inspirational captaincy, and Kermorgant’s relentless dominance over every centre-back in the league have contributed heavily to this season’s achievements, but to a man, this side can be proud to wear the Charlton shirt, and the fans can be proud to have a team, a squad and a Manager that cares about the history of our club.

Two years ago, during Powell’s summer clear out; he told fans that he was building a team that could compete at Championship level. Some doubted, many questioned, a few believed, but after some of the darkest days in the clubs recent history, no-one could have dreamed that a club legend would steer the Addicks to Championship safety in three years.

Saturday against Bristol City is a chance to thank Powell and his recruits for their phenomenal achievement, blood a few youngsters, and prepare for life in this division next season. In Powell We Trust.

Comments

• great post
  • bit bum licky for me.
  • It's almost as if I love our current team and Manager eh :)
  • you're quite right. i think this is the most popular team in my 20 years. even more than the 98 team.
  • I started supporting them '95 (was only 5 years old!), so memories of playoff final are hazy. This is my favourite team by far, now I can appreciate the work they do so much more
  • I think expectations have to be managed during the summer. Not quite sure what to expect next season and if we start poorly we might see some of the tripe that was being said during our tougher times this season.

I hope we can continue to get behind the team and staff no matter where we sit in the table. I would be happy with a repeat performance(probably swap home and away form around just to keep the natives happy) next season. It will be very difficult to improve on 9th without a bit of investment. I think we have over achieved with whats at our disposal and thats a dangerous place to be as a manager. Would hate to see CP become a victim of his own success. Would the fans be happy with 15th next season? I suppose we won't know until the summer has come and gone.
  • I think I predicted 14-16th at the start of the season, so well happy to finish in the top 1/2, it would be great to beat Bristol next Saturday...hopefully with the sun shinning and then a beer or 3 after the game. Would be more then happy to repeat this seasons performance next season, with hopefully better results in the local derbies.
  • Great post , hopefully as we've fulfilled the owners/boards target of 9th - 12th place Powell will be 'trusted' abit more and fingers crossed given some decent investment for the summer
  • Nice piece Wallin, you raise some important points
  • Sponsored links:

• I think expectations have to be managed during the summer. Not quite sure what to expect next season and if we start poorly we might see some of the tripe that was being said during our tougher times this season.

I hope we can continue to get behind the team and staff no matter where we sit in the table. I would be happy with a repeat performance(probably swap home and away form around just to keep the natives happy) next season. It will be very difficult to improve on 9th without a bit of investment. I think we have over achieved with whats at our disposal and thats a dangerous place to be as a manager. Would hate to see CP become a victim of his own success. Would the fans be happy with 15th next season? I suppose we won't know until the summer has come and gone.

I agree with those sentiments, we are all (well most anyway) happy with where we are, I predicted mid table but thought we would be lower, 14th, 12th maybe, 16th is only 4 points behind us though! On the wages bill we are in the bottom 6 (or so I understand), so we have over achieved in that sense.

There will be a few changes at the end of the season with plenty of contracts up and we don't quite know where that will leave us or what investment will be made in the team. If we do see a lot of changes like we did in our League1 Championship year, that could well raise expectations, especially with this end of season run. Fans expectations could derail any push we might be able to otherwise make. IF there are a lot of players coming in over the summer how does the club manage those expectations?

I always thought that with the right investments we could make the playoffs, we now sit five points off that with one game to go which, bears that out. If we had had that investment, would us fans generally have expected a top six, could we therefore have fallen short because of the added pressure that that brings?

This has been an exceptionally tight league this year, I wonder what affect FFP (Financial Fair Play) has had on that. If it is a contributing factor and I believe it is, then its affects will be bigger next season. Currently 13 points separate relegation and the playoffs, only fools would invest in football clubs, surely.
  • Good article Wallin.

The summer is going to be interesting and should give us an idea as to the ambitions of our owners. Of course, that ambition may be tempered by how much they can afford to throw at the club.

If the investment comes in the fans and the owners will have very high expectations. Let's hope that doesn't adversely affect the manager and team. Personally, I'm happy to watch championship football at the Valley, but we know that the aim is to return to the Premiership.
  • good post
  • Frustrating season but sitting in a position of comfort in this league is a fantastic acheivement by all, SCP the lads and even the Mysterons. Yes I include them because at one or two points this season I really thought they would implode and do something desperate. For whatever reason, be it that they saw SCP as an asset or maybe they were too skint to pull the trigger, they held their hand and stood firm. Good on them also.

So here we are a home game of little significance to go but many questions to be posed in a summer I suspect will be full of rumour, half truth and argument.

Up the Addicks.
  • Nice one Wallin, I think it's been an amazing season, some ups and downs ( Millwall and Palace hurt) but overall I have enjoyed it even if our home form has been patchy, would be great to finish the season on a high, well done the board for not pulling the trigger, here's hoping you can find the finances or right investors to keep us moving forward.
  • Really lovely read...thanks.
  • Saga Lout said:

The summer is going to be interesting and should give us an idea as to the ambitions of our owners. Of course, that ambition may be tempered by how much they can afford to throw at the club.

I'm not expecting much new investment. Something along the lines of lacking a pot to p!ss in.

• Saga Lout said:

I'm not expecting much new investment. Something along the lines of lacking a pot to p!ss in.

Have you any idea how damaging pessimism is to our club?

Tut tut!

• Good season - hopefully finishing 9th (although that's not nailed on yet). If at the start of the season fans had been told we would be going into the second last game of the season still in with an outside chance of the play offs, most people would have bitten have taken that.

A really mixture of ups and downs, frustrations and excitements. Cam back to win from 2 goals down at home twice. Also lost 2 goals leads twice 9or was it 3 times? )

Just hope we can find a bit of investment to keep the momentum going (and to stop CP being temted away!)
  • I don't think it has been a "sensational" season.

I do think it has been a great last couple of months.

Generally poor home form and a total melt against Millwall and Palace mean it is not exactly "sensational".

• Sponsored links:

• Been a mixed bag for me, been a good end to the season and some exciting games (Cardiff & Bolton at home and Watford away) but some equally poor performances. All in all though good first season back in the Championship and I cannot fault any of the players for their commitment and Powell has created a great team spirit.
  • PL54 said:

I don't think it has been a "sensational" season.

I do think it has been a great last couple of months.

Generally poor home form and a total melt against Millwall and Palace mean it is not exactly "sensational".

December and February were bad, take those months out and we had a very very good season. IMO
  • Has been an up and down season but certainly not dull. Great team spirit and CP continues to learn his trade.
    People forget how dire things were when we got relegated under Super Alan Pardew and Parky.