Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Intresting facts about Coventry

edited September 2007 in General Charlton
Coventry was the only British City to lose a cathedral during the WWII bombing (14/4/1940)

Coventry's name is believed to derive from "Cofa's Tree". This tree grew at a crossroads which later became the site of Coventry Castle and is now Broadgate.

In the Monty Python's Flying Circus sketch "Communist Quiz" (part of the "Spam" episode in 1970), the question "When did Coventry City last win the FA Cup?" is asked. The answer being that it was a trick question; they had never won it. They subsequently won the FA Cup in 1987.

Current Coventry City player Leon McKenzie is the cousin of Ashley McKenzie (The X Factor 2006 Finalist) and nephew of Duke McKenzie former World Boxing champion.

Comments

• With useless infomation like that, I think Stoke_addick should be sent to Coventry.
  • Coventry is the traditional home of the kipper tie, and locals preference is milky, with two sugars.
  • lol, I'd settle for that, anywhere is better than this dump.
  • edited September 2007
    Lady Godivi rode naked through the City of Coventry, according to legend, to prevent her husband over taxing the citizens. As a mark of respect the locals refused to look apart from Peeping Tom who lost his sight as a result.

Coventry City were formally known as Singer FC

The Specials came from Coventry and their number 1 hit "Ghost Town" was inspired by the economic decline in the area.

Former Charlton Director Jimmy Hill was manager of Coventry in the 1960s

Coventry had the first all seater football ground in England.
  • In the film The Italian Job, the famous scene of Mini Coopers being driven at speed through Turin's catacombs was actually filmed in Coventry, using what were then the country's biggest sewer pipes.
  • In the 19th century was an important town for the manufacture of bicycles
  • Coventry has hosted the Eurovision Song Contest more times than any other City or Town (8 times) apart from Catford.
  • There are a higher percentage of left handed people in Coventry than any other city in England.

The average number of bicycles per capita in 1889 was higher than any other city south of a line drawn between the Wash and the Mersey estuary
  • Charlton Athletic went there on Saturday 29th September 2007 and took three points.
    (Please don't come back and bite me on the arse)
  • in coventry they like to keep it in the family
  • Sponsored links:

• Their manager's a ****
  • [cite]Posted By: Stoke_addick[/cite]lol, I'd settle for that, anywhere is better than this dump.

Even Worksop?
  • edited September 2007
    Coventry is home to the double glazing firm U-Fit, featured on the tv show The Armstrongs that was on last year. I actually know Michael Handel who starred in the series.
  • It closes at 6pm.
  • Coventry has highest level of accidents in the Country due to the locals having problems over time and distance calculations; e.g. 'the away pub is 100 yards that way' and 'the ground is a five minute walk from the car park'.
  • The away pub is in someones "Living Room"
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Coventry has highest level of accidents in the Country due to the locals having problems over time and distance calculations; e.g. 'the away pub is 100 yards that way' and 'the ground is a five minute walk from the car park'.[/quote]

definitely, the ground is a 20 minute walk or drive from town!
  • Nothing interesting about Cov, on the crazy walk back to the station encoutered more Mosques than Cathedrals

Good meeting Carter again and good bit of Atmosphere in the ground.

Doubt i'll ever go back there again though. Traditional supporters Nightmare!