Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Complete Record of Charlton Managers

Despite the fact that Chris Powell has the best percentage of wins of any Charlton manager (not counting Les Gore, who by my system hasn't managed enough to count), if we split the stats out to compare records on a tier by tier basis, we find that Jimmy Seed has the best record at all three levels the club has played at.

Comments

• Great stuff Stig.

Didn't realise the Curbs / Gritt period lasted that many games
  • Interesting

Cleary proves (if it needed to be proved) that Seed was our greatest manager with Curbishley 2nd.
  • Nice work Stig. Are you able to find out who has the best record against our local rivals?
  • Pardues stats aren't as bad as people make out. Bring back Pards lol
  • Nice work Stig. Are you able to find out who has the best record against our local rivals?

Well, it could be done Slarti, but I have a horrible feeling that it might just be a bit too depressing for me to cope with ;-)
  • edited May 2013
    Shows what folly it is when people say Powell has the wise old head Peacock to learn from - 0% win rate in charge of the Addicks says it all!!! ;-)
  • Good work Stig.
  • Shows what folly it is when people say Powell has the wise old head Peacock to learn from - 0% win rate in charge of the Addicks says it all!!! ;-)

But the stats show that Peacock is our best ever manager. The only one that remains undefeated ;-)

• thanks Stig. well done
  • The percentages for David Clark in the second tier are wrong. Otherwise, an excellent piece of statistical analysis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fascinating stuff..
  • edited May 2013

The percentages for David Clark in the second tier are wrong. Otherwise, an excellent piece of statistical analysis.

Good spot. Thanks very much Happy Valley. I've amended it so hopefully everything's ok with it now.

• Interesting stats, but I think it would be wrong to use them as a basis for determining who is the "better" manager.

I mean, Pardew has a higher win ratio that Lennie Lawrence - but I know who I'd rather have at the helm, any day of the week.
  • edited May 2013
    As Off_it suggests, bare statistics don't really tell the story of the challenges faced.

Nevertheless, fascinating stuff, Stig. Good work.

• agree Oggy. Lennie had to play most of his games away from home.
  • Can we have a similar one based on man love?
  • Can't believe that CP has played a quarter of Curbs total already, he's only been here 5 mins
  • edited May 2013
    I always felt Mike Bailey was underrated because he left too early,his third tier record was impressive.

I note he is also second on the all time list after SCP.
  • Lies, damn lies and stats! Some great analysis there Stig but as always you can slice and dice figures so many ways.

My slant on it is that Lenny achieved so so much keeping CAFC in tier 2 then tier 1 with no home, no crowds (relatively) and defo no dosh so he is up there with Curbs just behind Mr South Stand himself!
  • Les Reed won a game. How did that happen? Who was it against?
  • Sponsored links:

• Les Reed won a game. How did that happen? Who was it against?

Charlton 1 - 0 Blackburn (El Karkouri 90')
  • Someone should name a stand after Jimmy Seed
  • Can't believe that CP has played a quarter of Curbs total already, he's only been here 5 mins

He'll soon be in the current National Top 10 managers for longevity as well!
    Stig said:

Shows what folly it is when people say Powell has the wise old head Peacock to learn from - 0% win rate in charge of the Addicks says it all!!! ;-)

But the stats show that Peacock is our best ever manager. The only one that remains undefeated ;-)

Nah, Peacock was too negative, only interested in playing for a draw :-)

• edited May 2014
    Time for an update:

Managerial Records May 2013
  • We should name a stand after whoever is the most successful manager at all three tiers
  • agree Oggy. Lennie had to play most of his games away from home.

...and that should never be underestimated