Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dealing with **** neighbours

So I was walking home last night having had a decent evening in London, minding my own business with some headphones in and texting someone. I then passed my neighbours, thinking nothing of it. A few seconds later a stone hit me.

I stopped, took my headphones out and asked if they'd seen anything come from any cars. Being a bit drunk, I was actually asking for assistance rather than pointing any fingers. Soon I realised though, that it wouldn't be possible to hit me from a car on that side of my body. Not only weren't there many cars around, but most people also don't tend to keep stones in them.

I am less than half their age and though we've had trouble with their ASBO addicted son in the past, I've had literally no contact with them for over a decade. What to do, do you reckon? Admittedly a few cig ends went over the garden fence afterwards, very juvenile but I wanted to let them know I'm not quite as stupid as I look.

Comments

• Put their names on every mailing list available so they get inundated with ever bit if junk mail going. Childish ? Maybe. Worth it ? Absolutely .
  • Let some milk go out of date for a week.
    Pull the cap off of the milk.
    Lean it up against there front door and ring door bell.

Hopefully they have carpet so it will soak in and stink the place out.

Too far??
  • edited June 2013
    Outrageous. Slim chance it wasn't them of course? You don't say who you saw specifically. Members of same family on doorstep? 1 or 2 or more?

Direct action would be very tempting of course, but you might want to consider the following;
    Report it to local neighbourhood police team, verbally at first if/when one passes, ask if they are known for trouble and ask them for their advice and to keep an eye on them. Report them to housing authority (council/ social housing?). Report them in future for antisocial behaviour, including noise, suspected drugs activity?, dog messing etc.
    Chat to decent neighbours if you know any and build a case against them. Even get a couple of willing witnesses together knock and ask again if they saw it, and see what response you get.
    Get ready to move. Or forget about it, at least for now.
  • Only retaliate if you are prepared for them to then do the same. They have already shown themselves to be dicks, do you really want them to demonstrate that to you further?

Having had experience of a nutty neighbour, I honestly think that the best strategy is to rise above it. If you don't you may end up in a feud which then becomes a constant source of stress and resentment, and anybody's life is better without those two things, I would say.
  • Confucius said:
    "before embarking on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"

Bigstemarra said:

"Rise above it"

Both are correct.
  • Confucius said:

Bigstemarra said:

"Rise above it"

Both are correct.

Nice one! Especially like the Confucius quote!

• edited June 2013

Confucius said:

Bigstemarra said:

"Rise above it"

Both are correct.

Yeah, frustrating but probably the best thing. I know I'm a far better person and don't need two scum bag 55 year olds and their son dragging me down. Saying that though, I am tempted to make a 'sticks and stones' related comment next time I see them, and I do like the junk mail idea.

• RedPanda said:

Confucius said:

Bigstemarra said:

"Rise above it"

Both are correct.

Yeah, frustrating but probably the best thing. I know I'm a far better person and don't need two scum bag 55 year olds and their son dragging me down. Saying that though, I am tempted to make a 'sticks and stones' related comment next time I see them, and I do like the junk mail idea.

The junk mail idea is a good one. A mate and I once pulled that stunt on a work colleague, just as a jape - we sent off for catalogues etc by Freepost in a targeted campaign that lasted several weeks. One day the hapless victim came home from the office and could barely get the front door open, such was the mountain of mail stacked up behind....

• I don't know how he did it, but one of my pals got chlamydia tests sent through my door for about 5 weeks straight.

Do you know their home number? Go on a load of sex chatrooms and say that you are a horny bird looking for someone to talk dirty with... Done this to my pal and he had about 40-50 calls one after the other with pervy blokes just sitting there grunting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Did the catalogue thing to a teacher at school who was unfairly targeting mates in class. In the end mass detentions were threatened so six of us owned up. He drove a Reliant three wheeler and the year above carried it and wedged it in the entry alcove to main hall. Took RAC to get it out.
  • Probably best to ignore. But if you want a continuous thing to keep you amused before next season ...

Out neighbours are nice but it would be nice if they didn't hit our cars what seems every other week!
  • Wait until Xmas is over and put an advert in the Newsshopper saying you will pay £10 for every old Christmas tree that's left in your garden with their contact details attached. Give them your neighbours address for the advert.

My mate did it to a landlord that refused to pay his deposit back. Not only did the landlord get tons of old Christmas trees in his front garden, he got angry people coming over and demanding their money!