Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plumber?

Is there a plumber around for a small job ( tightening/sealing a basin waste where pipes and pedestal get in the way of a normal spanners) Charlton area.....I looked up previous discussions but nothing obvious there.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    We had a plumber round today.

£120 to put a new washer on the kitchen sink taps (albeit fiddly as in a difficult position) and sort out the ballcock in my khazi.

Absolute joker.
  • Off_it said:

£120 to put a new washer on the kitchen sink taps (albeit fiddly as in a difficult position) and sort out the ballcock in my khazi.

Absolute joker.

What company was that? Or self-employed?
  • Off_it said:

Absolute joker.

What company was that? Or self-employed?
    Must have had a telescope because he saw off it coming.
  • Getting quotes between £80 and £100 an hour just for labour.......does that mean you could earn something like £3,000 a week?
  • Getting quotes between £80 and £100 an hour just for labour.......does that mean you could earn something like £3,000 a week?

I run my own (commercial) plumbing business, we do not undertake domestic work, only for commercial premises customers in Central London (mainly) we charge £185.00 per call out, this covers the customer for travelling time to the building and 2 hours on site, after the 2 hours they get charged a standard hourly rate, which is £65.00 per hour or part of, bearing in mind that we have to pay congestion charge and parking and then have to wait up to 60 days for payment, that is a very competitive rate. Domestic plumbers (in defence) have to work out an hourly rate based on the amount of call outs they think they will get, e.g the more call outs the lower your rate can be, that said, the figures quoted seem very high but you must bear in mind that a "legitimate" registered self employed plumber will have to pay for his van, diesel, van insurance, public liability insurance (not cheap) business software, accountancy fees, workwear, tools and plant, health and safety etc etc and will also have to obviously pay tax. A lot of people think that a plumber earning £200 per day is extortionate but when you take out all of the previously mentioned, it's nothing at all. Not all plumbers are rip off merchants but you do have to be careful.

• If you're still in need PM me
  • We've got a problem with our mains inlet tap. It only needs a new washer which is no problem but I can't turn the mains off from the street. The long key tool turns the tap but the water won't turn off. Tried it both ways but doesn't make a difference. Would this be the responsibility of the water co?
  • Yes it would, if the valve isnt working they will need to fit a new one aslong as its the water companies stopcock, as after there one its the property owners responsibility
  • Nice one, cheers