Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 1st of July is Looming , are you getting worried?

The 'window' is almost upon us , with only 1 signing thus far ( a 34 year old) ,are you chilled with a 'come what may' attitude , or are you 'bricking it' ?

Comments

• Oh come on, I wouldnt be me if I wasnt bricking it. Seeing as we only have 1 striker - I am not ashamed to say either.
  • Quietly confident.
  • Not bricking it at all
  • Chris Powell is our manager. Why would anyone be worried????
  • Ask me in a month's time, and if we still haven't signed anyone I'll be very worried. Very worried indeed.
  • I'm sure we'll be fine.
  • Chris Powell is our manager. Why would anyone be worried????

This
  • Worried about what?

Strange bunch.
  • Keep the faith
  • Sponsored links:

• While you've a lucifer to light your fag
    Smile boys, that's the style
    What's the use of worrying
    It never was worth while
    So, pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
    And smile, smile, smile.
  • The 'window' is almost upon us , with only 1 signing thus far ( a 34 year old) ,are you chilled with a 'come what may' attitude , or are you 'bricking it' ?

So the transfer window hasn't yet opened and you are panicking because we haven't (bar Mark Gower) signed anyone?

There is plenty of time to make all the transfers we need before it closes. The situation is not where we were two years ago when we had to rebuild the squad. I'd expect one or two players to get transferred out and one or two to be acquired.

• Some of you need to grow a pair...
    Like that fella on the Tele box right now.
  • Some of you need to grow a pair...
    Like that fella on the Tele box right now.

NLA??? ;-)
  • My main worry is that Waggy was such a valuable squad member, touted for decent transfer values and unless we have a cheap and better replacement, it's crazy we let him go, especially with best years in front of him.
  • My main worry is that Waggy was such a valuable squad member, touted for decent transfer values and unless we have a cheap and better replacement, it's crazy we let him go, especially with best years in front of him.

We obviously think we can do better.

• edited June 2013
    Early days. The economic situation and fair play have changed the transfer dynamics. Nobody csn afford to pay wages of new players through the summer.
  • Kap10 said:

Early days. eThe economic situationand fair play gave changed the transfer dynamics. Nobody csn afford to oay wages of new players througyt the summer.

So why ditch the talented, and relatively cheap Waggy without a replacement lined up?
  • No worries here boys! It's going to be a very interesting window when it opens next week with players/agents trying to negotiate higher wage bills and clubs holding off to drive wages down.

May be some under strength squads in August prior to the window closing!
  • So why ditch the talented, and relatively cheap Waggy without a replacement lined up?#

The choice was either sign him up to another deal - which would have cost a signing on fee and wages, money we couldn't afford on a player who is not in CP's plans or be honest with him, tell him that he wasn't going to get a new contract and give him the maximum time available to find a new club.

Given that he's a talented young player, who works hard and has an eye for goal who'll have a decent future at L1/Championship level you'd think that he would have found a club by now. Except he's like a lot of other similar players - most likely sweating on one of several clubs working out if they can afford him and the others players they need to recruit. In the new environment of FFP that isn't easy. That players like that aren't walking into clubs shows how things are changing in the transfer market.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2013
    Because Powell didn't see him as a Championship player. Personally think he should have got more of a chance, he has similar qualities to Pritchard but is more of a goal threat (though we'll hopefully see Pritchard score more regularly next season). You can't have a team of Wagstaffs and Pritchards, but a midfield of Green, Jackson, Stephens and Hollands is also ineffective.

Out wide in midfield all we currently need is competition for Harriott. On the right we might look to bring in a better player if we can sell Green. Powell probably just doesn't see a need to keep Wagstaff as 3rd or 4th choice, two players per position is enough, especially if a few players can cover a more than one position.
  • Waggy was part of our mini revival playing out of position on left. Can see him playing also RM, RB, CM or in hole. Still young but goor goals to game ratio. With our tendency to defend deep CP ismissing a trick breaking at pace. Are JJ, Yann, Gower or Andy Hughes capable? No. So where is our goal threat? Unknown signings.

He really wasnt a valuable squad member, let alone "such" a valuable squad member. He was involved in 8 league games last season out of 46. He was a nice guy and a hard worker with an eye for goal, but unfortunately he didn't have much more and wasn't good enough and (aside from any sentimental value) he certainly isn't worth worrying about as a loss. Powell will find another body to fill his place easily enough.

The one that really disappointed me was Haynes. A sicknote yes but he was a genuinely "valuable squad member". Contributed several vital goals, was involved in a significant number of matches without being a lynchpin, had some genuinely excellent games and offered us something nobody else could with that pace - in fact he was pivotal in the run we managed to turn our season round and possibly help to keep Powell in a job when we were at our lowest.

Releasing him - somebody with genuine quality - highlighted that once again this season we will be on a shoestring budget so there is no room for any bit part players.
  • 1st July = Canada Day = Much Needed Piss Up....
  • Kap10 said:

Early days. eThe economic situationand fair play gave changed the transfer dynamics. Nobody csn afford to oay wages of new players througyt the summer.

So why ditch the talented, and relatively cheap Waggy without a replacement lined up?
    CP decided that regardless of what business we do in the market Waggy was not required. Right or wrong decision is irrelevant to this thread. Waggy would have been paid till 30th June or when released his contract paid up.

• I'm looking forward to it. I reckon a certain full back is going to depart giving some transfer funds for Chris to play with. If he spends as well as he did in League One we're in for a great summer.
  • Am I missing something here? I assume that as the window is" closed", we have only been able to sign out of contract players - i.e. those surplus to requirements elsewhere. Only one has been deemed suitable for us. When the window is open we will be going for the targets SCP really wants, who may cost hard cash? Or do I misunderstand the whole transfer window thing completely?
  • Although the window is closed you can sign anybody you want now, but they cannot play until after the next transfer window opens. So no effect on transfers done now, only unattached players can play before a transfer window.

The mention of the window opening is more to do with contracts ending, therefore being available on a free.
  • I'm looking forward to it. I reckon a certain full back is going to depart giving some transfer funds for Chris to play with. If he spends as well as he did in League One we're in for a great summer.

Solly to the Hammers.

He really wasnt a valuable squad member, let alone "such" a valuable squad member. He was involved in 8 league games last season out of 46. He was a nice guy and a hard worker with an eye for goal, but unfortunately he didn't have much more and wasn't good enough and (aside from any sentimental value) he certainly isn't worth worrying about as a loss. Powell will find another body to fill his place easily enough.

The one that really disappointed me was Haynes. A sicknote yes but he was a genuinely "valuable squad member". Contributed several vital goals, was involved in a significant number of matches without being a lynchpin, had some genuinely excellent games and offered us something nobody else could with that pace - in fact he was pivotal in the run we managed to turn our season round and possibly help to keep Powell in a job when we were at our lowest.

Releasing him - somebody with genuine quality - highlighted that once again this season we will be on a shoestring budget so there is no room for any bit part players.
    pretty much sums up my thoughts