Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP MIck Aston

Time Teams Prof Mick Aston passed away today. A true legend in Archeology RIP Mick, a real hero of mine.

Comments

• Real character. RIP
  • Used to always watch Time Team. Good guy.
  • Clever bloke.

RIP
  • Wow still watch it here.....RIP Mick...what happened? Didnt think he was that old....
  • He was 66

The cause of his death hasnt been released yet, but it would seem he had several medical problems.
  • very sad ... always great on Time Team

RIP
  • I had the pleasure of working with Mick Aston on a couple of Time Teams that were Blitz related, he was quite uncomfortable with the subject as it was so recent and not his idea of history as such, despite that he remained very professional and a pleasure to deal with.

This is a real shocker as I didn't know he was ill, whilst purists may feel that Time Time as a program is flawed and a little rushed it undoubtedly inspired a generation to look at history and archaeology more seriously and that is in part down to Micks enthusiasm. Very sad and rest in peace Mick, like him I am still unconvinced by Geophys though!
  • Sponsored links:

• SE7toSG3 said:

I had the pleasure of working with Mick Aston on a couple of Time Teams that were Blitz related, he was quite uncomfortable with the subject as it was so recent and not his idea of history as such, despite that he remained very professional and a pleasure to deal with.

This is a real shocker as I didn't know he was ill, whilst purists may feel that Time Time as a program is flawed and a little rushed it undoubtedly inspired a generation to look at history and archaeology more seriously and that is in part down to Micks enthusiasm. Very sad and rest in peace Mick, like him I am still unconvinced by Geophys though!

I once went to a talk held by him in Orpington when Time Team was still in its infancy but you could tell that he was going to make it a success! He was full of energy and passion for his subject and he wanted everyone else to enjoy it too.

I like Geophys :-)
  • RIP.

I used to like the archivist Robin Bush. While all the others were speculating about what it all meant, he'd pop down the local library and dig out some old books and documents that normally proved them wrong. He always seemed to be in the pub by lunchtime on Day 1 while Mick, Phil and geophys were still digging holes and looking at potential sites.
  • Loved his enthusiasm. He made archaeology come alive for ordinary people.

• Very sad RIP Time team legend mick