Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 1st of July is Looming , are you getting worried?

13»

Comments

• JonnyK said:

No worries here boys! It's going to be a very interesting window when it opens next week with players/agents trying to negotiate higher wage bills and clubs holding off to drive wages down.

May be some under strength squads in August prior to the window closing!

agents don't wait until their client's contract expires on 30th June and then think I'd better start looking around for a new Club. This would have started months ago. And all this crap about the window isn't open. It doesn't need to be. How have other clubs already signed players? The contract is just dated to start 1st July but could be signed before. Or the previous Club releases the player from the last few weeks of his contract so saving a bit of dough and the new Club pays out a few weeks money that it didn't necessarily have to.

• Tbh I think we're looking to ship out before we get in. Lets hope a few clubs are in the mood to take Green, Hollands and Stephens
  • Tbh I think we're looking to ship out before we get in. Lets hope a few clubs are in the mood to take Green, Hollands and Stephens

That's a decent shout but are you sure you should be posting that on here?
  • DeeBee said:

That's a decent shout but are you sure you should be posting that on here?
    Mischief maker ;0)

• Well the windows been open for over 15 hours now , no movement / panic buying , disgraceful! :-0
  • Powell out! ;)
  • edited July 2013
    OK, I admit it - I am starting to get worried.

5 days before the first game of the season, and with the exception of Mark Gower the squad has not been re-inforced at all. If you bear in mind, we let 3 stalwarts - Wagstaff, Taylor, Sullivan - go at the end of last season (plus Kerkar!), plus 2 injury prone but nevertheless class forwards on their day - Haynes & Fuller, with Wright-Phillips and Evina now looking like they are also out of the door and with Obika having gone back to Spurs, then we need to sign EIGHT players (let's not count Sullivan as we already have a good back-up keeper) just to get the squad back to last season's numbers. Given that there were times last season when injuries meant the squad as it was looked wafer thin, to go into the new season with a smaller squad is not promising.

And there surely must be major doubts as to whether Stephens will start the season with us and whether Green & Hollands have got any long-term futures at the club.

All that, of course, is before considering whether any signings we do make are a better class to what we already had. Which given we are led to believe the club doesn't have a pot to p**s in, doesn't seem likely.

Yes, I am a worried man.
  • I'm worried, season before last we made our signings early and benefited from this.
    Everytime I check Skysports.com we seem to be the only side not linked with anyone.
  • Sponsored links:

• OK, I admit it - I am starting to get worried.

5 days before the first game of the season, and with the exception of Mark Gower the squad has not been re-inforced at all. If you bear in mind, we let 3 stalwarts - Wagstaff, Taylor, Sullivan - go at the end of last season (plus Kerkar!), plus 2 injury prone but nevertheless class forwards on their day - Haynes & Fuller, with Wright-Phillips and Evina now looking like they are also out of the door and with Obika having gone back to Spurs, then we need to sign EIGHT players (let's not count Sullivan as we already have a good back-up keeper) just to get the squad back to last season's numbers. Given that there were times last season when injuries meant the squad as it was looked wafer thin, to go into the new season with a smaller squad is not promising.

And there surely must be major doubts as to whether Stephens will start the season with us and whether Green & Hollands have got any long-term futures at the club.

All that, of course, is before considering whether any signings we do make are a better class to what we already had. Which given we are led to believe the club doesn't have a pot to p**s in, doesn't seem likely.

Yes, I am a worried man.

Wait til Welling on Saturday. There'll probably be a few triallists on show. And also one of our best signings last season was Callum Harriot - somebody we already had. There might be one or two more youngsters who are ready to step up and form part of the squad. Evina was only 20 at the start of last season but he formed a useful and quite important part of the squad.

Don't worry - Chris Powell.

Yes, I am a worried man.

Wait til Welling on Saturday. There'll probably be a few triallists on show. And also one of our best signings last season was Callum Harriot - somebody we already had. There might be one or two more youngsters who are ready to step up and form part of the squad. Evina was only 20 at the start of last season but he formed a useful and quite important part of the squad.

Thanks Chris! :-0

• Worried on 1st July ??????????? this is CAFC some would be worried if we were 15 points clear at the top of the league with one game to go.

One forward ---- no cash-----no replacements----the Cons and the Royal Oak closing---welcome to the CAFC 2013/2014 season -----------and lets be having you

Yes, I am a worried man.

Fair points. And I agree about the youngsters - frankly, having heard so much recently about what a promising bunch we have, I'd love to see some of them given a chance. (And if we don't do it soon, I begin to wonder what is the point of the Academy?)

But the fact remains in about 8 or 9 days time, the first team squad goes off on its pre-season tour which has usually been used to help integrate the new players into the squad. Team bonding and all that. At this rate, there won't be any new players to take along! Instead, looks more and more like some of the youngsters will get some good bonding (drinking?) time with their elders!
  • Some were GH its bloody madness to be worried
  • I'm not worried.

Most Championship clubs have made very few signings yet. Like the other clubs in our Division, we'll sign the players we need.
    I don't doubt some of our proposed deals are already progressing.
  • Personally I am still not worried. Back 5 look good (hamer, solly, morrison, dervite and wiggins), button, wilson and cort all suitable back ups which leaves 1x CB and 1x LB...I have every confidence however that Fox/Feeley could cover these positions well.

Midfield we have Harriet, Jackson, Pritch, Gower, Hughes, Hollands, Stephens and Green...that is plenty and we only need to replace the last 3 if and when we lose them.

Upfront clearly a bigger issue but I am sure we will pick up at least 2 strikers, none of the better freebies have been signed yet as far as I am aware (Ebanks Blake, Vaughan, Jackson for example).

Plenty of time yet...Welling is a game for the kids anyway so no bearing.
  • edited July 2013
    Not worried so to speak but am beginning to think its going to be a very difficult season which may seem like a lot of hard work for everybody involved.

As the squad stands i think maintaining our league status is once again our priority. If that changes then good if not, well, at least it won't be boring. It rarely is with Charlton athletic .
  • A little too early to get worried, although clearly SCP would like to take a couple of new signings on the pre-season tour in order to integrate them into the squad.

I think we'll be relying on Bosmans unless we can generate any money from the sale of Stephens.

There has probably been a great deal of haggling and brinkmanship on the part of players, agents and clubs as they all seek to get the best deal possible. The expiration of contracts on 30 June is likely to focus minds and I expect there will be some developments over the next week. The market generally has been unusually quiet, which is perhaps unsurprising, given the economic situation and the FFP rules.
  • Ade Azeez scored the highest on the bleep test today so don't worry. We don't need to bring a striker in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ade Azeez scored the highest on the bleep test today so don't worry. We don't need to bring a striker in.

Joe Kinnear should have scored highly on the bleep test during that TV interview a few years ago.

• Anyone got an idea if we have trialists or out of contract players from other clubs training with us?
  • Richard J said:

Anyone got an idea if we have trialists or out of contract players from other clubs training with us?

Not sure if we will still have/see those two Icelandic brothers still on trial ?
  • Just keep your balls in your hands and dont let them shrink if your scared now god help u all come jan

If we dont get anyone in then atleast SCP should not be the butt of the anger
  • Keith Peacock told my mate down the Athletics club that we would get promoted so i am not worried.
  • Why do we go through this every year?

Clubs do not sign players as soon as the season ends. Things take longer than that.

Some facts (correct at the time of writing):-

- 4 Championship clubs have made no signings at all during the current close season (Blackpool, Brighton, Leicester and Watford).
    - 13 clubs (that's over half) have made either 1 or 2 signings.
    - The 'average' number of signings per club currently stands at 2.2.

Can we stop panicking now please?
  • Jodaius said:

Why do we go through this every year?

Clubs do not sign players as soon as the season ends. Things take longer than that.

- 4 Championship clubs have made no signings at all during the current close season (Blackpool, Brighton, Leicester and Watford).

Watford just signed Lewis McGugan. Good signing that!!

• Jodaius said:

Agreed.

Why are people panicking?! Who cares if we have 1 striker for Welling. It means nothing!

You are allowed to panic on the 1st September if we still have 1 striker. We will have at least 3 though.
  • Jodaius said:

Watford just signed Lewis McGugan. Good signing that!!

Forest fans seem to be very mixed in their view on him!

Have to see - like to give any new signing a chance before dismissing them.