Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Glastonbury....

Comments

• Apologies! Only using it out of laziness though.
  • edited July 2013
  • edited July 2013
    "Calling Glastonbury "Glasto" should be a punishable offence"

Absolutely

Don't get me wrong I really missed not going this year and would have loved to have been there but it's definitely changed somewhat .

Adam Buxton sums it up perfectly here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=kuGqX32wY3A
  • overhyped, overpriced and overrated .. however for Stones fans .. a performance to treasure .. glad I didn't die before I got old
  • Retweeted by JJ: "Prince Harry was at Glastonbury. It's over. I think normal people should start turning up at polo and see how they f'n like it."

I have literally no desire to go. Festivals on the continent are cheaper, better weather, fewer curfews, usually nicer settings, you get some travelling in and you can often walk between stuff like death metal and minimal techno in a few minutes. I would probably have a laugh at Glastonbury but I'd have to wear my best kicking boots.
  • Was my first Glasto experience and i loved every moment of it. Nice to see the CAFC flag aswell, just a shame i also saw a girl in a millwall tracksuit and a girl in a palace tracksuit! Haha but absolutely cracking 5 days, would definitely recommend anyone to experience it, if of course you're able to get tickets which was one of the most stressful experiences ever.
  • RedPanda said:

Retweeted by JJ: "Prince Harry was at Glastonbury. It's over. I think normal people should start turning up at polo and see how they f'n like it."

I have literally no desire to go. Festivals on the continent are cheaper, better weather, fewer curfews, usually nicer settings, you get some travelling in and you can often walk between stuff like death metal and minimal techno in a few minutes. I would probably have a laugh at Glastonbury but I'd have to wear my best kicking boots.

Don't go then.

I on the other hand have been twice 2010 & 2011 and I can with no doubt say they were the 2 best weekends of my life.

• Just got back after 3 weeks on site doing decor for shangri la. Loved the stones set, but Chic were by far the best thing I saw all weekend
  • edited July 2013

overhyped, overpriced and overrated .. however for Stones fans .. a performance to treasure .. glad I didn't die before I got old

No way is it overpriced, £50 a day for as much music as you can handle is actually pretty much a bargain.
  • I wouldn't say its overhyped or overrated either....the haters always seem to be those that have never been.
  • Sponsored links:

• DanDavis said:

I wouldn't say its overhyped or overrated either....the haters always seem to be those that have never been.

Likewise those who say it's the best in the world always seem to be those who have never been to one outside the UK.

• DanDavis said:

I wouldn't say its overhyped or overrated either....the haters always seem to be those that have never been.

I went twice a long time ago and loved it .. I am older now, my tastes are set and most of the performers there this year I would not open the curtains to see if they were on my front lawn .. when I write overhyped etc that is my opinion, I am not a hater .. you of course love it .. good luck .. BUT any co-relation between 90% of live bands today and (say) 10, 20 or 30 years ago is pure coincidence .. modern electronic music and repetitive 'vibes' are not suited to marathon open air festivals .. In my opinion
  • DanDavis said:

Not haters - but invariably people who went before it became a fashionable thing to do.

• Modern Electronic music is just a small part of Glastonbury (even this year)...obviously more so than 20 years ago but musical trends have seen to that. I think where the organisers get it so right is that they move with the times without forgetting what made it so great in the first place.

Personally I don't think the main line-up this year was as good as 3 years ago but like when everyone kicked up a fuss when Jay-Z headlined a few years back the main stages are only part of what makes up the experience.

I remember watching Candi Stanton play to about 500 people in the Park and it was incredible, Will Young in a tent that we discovered by accident was amazing......a DJ playing nothing but 80's cheese dressed as a Zebra at 3 in the afternoon....this is what Glastonbury is really about.

In my opinion obviously!

• DanDavis said:

Modern Electronic music is just a small part of Glastonbury (even this year)...obviously more so than 20 years ago but musical trends have seen to that. I think where the organisers get it so right is that they move with the times without forgetting what made it so great in the first place.

Personally I don't think the main line-up this year was as good as 3 years ago but like when everyone kicked up a fuss when Jay-Z headlined a few years back the main stages are only part of what makes up the experience.

I remember watching Candi Stanton play to about 500 people in the Park and it was incredible, Will Young in a tent that we discovered by accident was amazing......a DJ playing nothing but 80's cheese dressed as a Zebra at 3 in the afternoon....this is what Glastonbury is really about.

In my opinion obviously!

I am pleased that you had a good time .. as I said and I think that we agree upon, times, trends and tastes change .. good luck DD
  • RedPanda said:

DanDavis said:

Likewise those who say it's the best in the world always seem to be those who have never been to one outside the UK.

Indeed. I would like to see them name one outside of the UK other than Woodstock!!
  • RedPanda said:

DanDavis said:

Indeed. I would like to see them name one outside of the UK other than Woodstock!!
    I went to The Love Parade in Dortmund in 2010, that was pretty crazy. The Croatian festivals like Hide Out seem fun if a bit boutiquey.

I'd love to go to Burning Man, that seems like a survival of the fittest! Anyone on here been?

• DanDavis said:

RedPanda said:

DanDavis said:

I went to The Love Parade in Dortmund in 2010, that was pretty crazy. The Croatian festivals like Hide Out seem fun if a bit boutiquey.

I'd love to go to Burning Man, that seems like a survival of the fittest! Anyone on here been?

Summer in the S W Desert ???? ... It's Burnin Man !!!! .. I've not been friends have, the secret of survival ?? .. lots of tequila and peyote so I am told
  • edited July 2013
    DanDavis said:

RedPanda said:

DanDavis said:

Few mates are in Croatia now for Hide Out. Looks like an incredible place to go.

Really wanted to do Tomorrowland in Belgium, but now im a dad i think those opportunities are long gone.
  • DanDavis said:

RedPanda said:

DanDavis said:

Few mates are in Croatia now for Hide Out. Looks like an incredible place to go.

Really wanted to do Tomorrowland in Belgium, but now im a dad i think those opportunities are long gone.
    they can look after themselves for a couple of days. either that or bring them along, most festivals are free for kids.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2013
    Another Belgium festival, Pukkelpop has a fantastic line up this year. Prodigy, Slayer, Eminem and Neil Young at the same festival, something for everyone!

I don't think Burning man is a music festival, probably more of an art festival? Would be a great one to go to though.
  • edited July 2013
  • One year someone fell in to the drop toilets at Glastonbury....
  • RedPanda said:

DanDavis said:

The Oktoberfest?
  • Bloody bbc, no coverage from the acoustic stage (wanted to check out Steve Winwoods set.
  • ^^^^ thanks for this BFR .. this man is a REAL music history legend
  • The XX. I find them rather dreary. Are there any fans on here ?
  • The XX. I find them rather dreary. Are there any fans on here ?

Love them, but don't think i'd want to go and see them live.
  • The guitar playing of that Goat stuff reminded me of Paul Rudolph.