Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Greenwich Council - Health & Safety Gone Mad

The other month the Dustbin Truck ate one of the Wheely Bins belonging to my house. Yesterday we were told we can't have a replacement one due to health and safety as my house has 3 steps to the garden. The dustmen aren't even the ones who have to lift it to the road and back down.

Madness.

Comments

• So what do you do with your rubbish?
  • WSS said:

So what do you do with your rubbish?

He talks it.

• What were the odds of the truck eating your bin?
  • The other month the Dustbin Truck ate one of the wheely Bins belonging to my house. Yesterday we were told we can't have a replacement one due to health and safety as my house has 3 steps to the garden. The dustmen aren't even the ones who have to lift it to the road and back down.

Madness.

I don't get it?
  • WSS said:

So what do you do with your rubbish?

It was the Garden & Food waste bin, got the normal one and recycling one left.
  • Don't brag, I only have one bin here in Kent.
  • The other month the Dustbin Truck ate one of the wheely Bins belonging to my house. Yesterday we were told we can't have a replacement one due to health and safety as my house has 3 steps to the garden. The dustmen aren't even the ones who have to lift it to the road and back down.

Madness.

I don't get it?
    They say households can't have wheely bins anymore due to health and safety as the houses have steps leading down incase the binmen injure themselves. It's not the binmen who bring the bins up and down from the road.
  • Idiots, the lot of them...
  • WSS said:

Don't brag, I only have one bin here in Kent.

We have four or five in Bromley but then we're not in Kent.
  • Four or five? Hah! We've got 6 here in Canterbury. Beat that.
  • Sponsored links:

We have food, plastic, glass, paper and general so actually we have five plus we could pay for a garden waste bin as well.

Madness.

I don't get it?
    They say households can't have wheely bins anymore due to health and safety as the houses have steps leading down incase the binmen injure themselves. It's not the binmen who bring the bins up and down from the road.
    I expect that mat be true in your case but many of your elderly neighbours will have a 'pull out' service so I expect they are trying to phase out all wheelie bins where residents have steps to negotiate.
  • The other month the Dustbin Truck ate one of the Wheely Bins belonging to my house. Yesterday we were told we can't have a replacement one due to health and safety as my house has 3 steps to the garden. The dustmen aren't even the ones who have to lift it to the road and back down.

Madness.

Well I'm sure they'd be more than willing to replace it if you paid tax...
  • I very much doubt that this rule has been created by Greenwich. I know 2-3 people who work in the corporate H&S Team and can assure you that this has more than likely been imposed by the Health and Safety executive.

Here in the Borough of Chelmsford we have a regular black wheelie, a brown wheelie for garden waste, a green lidded bucket for food waste, a green box for glass and tins, a bag for paper and a bag for cardboard. In addition we are supposed to put out a separate bag for textiles and shoes.
  • I just chuck my rubbish out of my front door into the smog tainted cobbled street. Or flush it down my outside lav. Proper Norvern me.
  • Im sure there was a program or news report about all these different bins, when after being collected were basically all tipped in together on barges that took them down the thames to wherever they end up! when questioned the council at the time said this was done because of a lack of resourses.
  • pioneer said:

Im sure there was a program or news report about all these different bins, when after being collected were basically all tipped in together on barges that took them down the thames to wherever they end up! when questioned the council at the time said this was done because of a lack of resourses.

Working from home I saw this every week. I meticulously sorted my types of rubbish in the appropriate waste receptacle provided by Medway Council, only to see a lorry load of chancers turn up and empty my carefully filed rubbish into the same feckin lorry! I gave up.

• You should watch Penn & Teller's 'Bullshit'. A few years ago, they devoted a whole episode to the stupidityof the majority of recycling. One of the more memorable bits showed the lengths people would go to when they believed they were doing their bit for the environment. These poor saps ended up with nine different coloured bins outside their houses. It was a set up, but watching at the time with the missus, I said I don't think its too far off. Looks like I was right.