Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to have a decent pub lunch in Greenwich?

Meeting a female friend tomorrow, getting the clipper down to Greenwich from central, and want to take her somewhere nice for lunch (is it possible to not use any innuendos while asking a serious question, I ask myself!) - a beer garden would obviously be good.

Any recommendations appreciated!

Comments

• Old Brewery at the Royal Naval College, especially if its hot.
  • The food in the..... sorry can't do it, depends how big her tits are.
  • Is she vegetarian? If so, everywhere is useless.
  • No Seth, she likes meat. (Just getting that in before DaveMehmet does!!)
  • Two meals for £5 in the Wetherspoons....

Or, if you stay on the Clipper to Woolwich you could go to The Dial Arch on the Arsenal.
  • Richatd I has superb garden, usually bbq when warm.
  • edited July 2013
    Try The Cutty Sark right on the river - just a short walk along from the pier and past the Trafalgar.

http://www.fancyapint.com/Pub/121

Or there's the Richard 1, which has a decent beer garden.

http://www.fancyapint.com/Pub/111

Or the Plume of Feathers, which has an area outside at the front and the back.

http://www.fancyapint.com/Pub/1235

Decent pub lunch in any of those - but I would plump for the Cutty Sark on a day like tomorrow because of the river views.

Let me know where you end up - because I will be incredibly envious either way, stuck at work staring out of the window wishing I was in any of them!

(PS. And if you take my advice and end up getting your nuts in then I trust there will be a pint in it for Uncle Off_it!)
  • edited July 2013
    I've been to all of the above 3 recently.

The Cutty Sark serves "posh nosh" at very high prices & there's no beer garden. It's a no no for me, as I like to eat food & not pay double for a half empty plate. I went there for lunch, bought a drink, read the menu & left for The Plume of Feathers.

Plume of Feathers has a back garden only, (the area out front is 2 benches on the pavement lol) of about 10 tables & midweek there will probably be most free. However they only had about 3 umbrellas up for 10 tables. We were ok, as only 3 tables used. Food is good & reasonably priced. I'd recommend.

Richard 1 has a lovely garden, but I didn't eat there.
  • edited July 2013
    Sorry Covered End, but what are the seats out the front of the Cutty Sark then if it's not a beer Garden? The food might've been a bit to fancy for your tastes, but there's no denying the views you get from the outside seating area, i.e. beer garden!

Have a look on the Gallry here.

http://www.cuttysarkse10.co.uk/gallery.php

And as for the Plume, you;re right it has a bench either side of the front door, but it also has a little patio area with tables and chairs to the left of the front door.

You may have been to both recently, but clearly you don't remember a lot (which I trust goes to show that you had a good time!)
  • What about the Pilot just along from the O2? Beer garden and the food has been nice when we've been there.
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree with off it. But also recommend the Hill just a bit further up Royal Hill. Lovely decked garden. Also the Guilfords garden is really really nice.. Barbecue lunch.

But on a hot day my top two would be Old Brewery or the Cutty sark for the riverside views.
  • edited July 2013
    Depends what you call a beer garden, Off_ it.
    The Cutty Sark has wooden benches on the pavement by the Thames. Not what I'd call a garden.
    There's no way I could describe benches on a pavement a garden.

As for The Plume, you wouldn't want to sit on the pavement by the road or in the courtyard, which I can't clearly recall, although I've been there loads of times, as I've never seen anyone there & personally think it's unlikely on that basis that it's used.
  • Ha ha - but the Richard nor the Plume have grass, do they - so are they beer gardens? Unless you took your own and smoked it whilst you were there!
    ;o)

Have seen plenty of people out the front of the Plume before. It gets the sun at certain times of the day and is a little suntrap.

Anyway, my guess is that the fella wanted somewhere to sit outside in the sunshine, so the Cutty Sark ticks that box.

Also, just remembered that the Gypsy Moth has a beer gar ..... er .... outside seating area, although I wouldn't recommend it over the other three as it's a bit of a tourist trap.

Either way, enjoy boggzy!
  • The plume back garden is very nice and a beer garden. Does decent food.
  • edited July 2013
    Curb_It said:

The plume back garden is very nice and a beer garden. Does decent food.

Nah, no grass!
    ;o)

It';s just a shame about the Palarse scarf and pendant hanging up behind the bar. Always puts me off handing over my hard earned that does.
  • Sorry i meant To say in that post it had no grass. Funnily enough someone said exactly same last week re the penant. It's one downfall. We order from the side so no eye contact.

• The Lost Hour by the station
  • What sort of garden does it have Nathan?
  • Curb_It said:

What sort of garden does it have Nathan?

None I don't think - its the redecorated auctioneer. Ok for a pre-match beer, not sure I'd take a young lady there to woo her though !
  • The Kings Arms too, that has a beer garden. My mate is a barmaid there too, shame I don't get any free beer :(
  • Sponsored links:

• You've got the Trafalgar Tavern on the river, will probably be packed though.

The Yacht nearby, hidden away on Crane Street.

Agree about Plume of feathers.

The Vanburgh's good although a bit of a walk.

Had a good meal in North Pole before although it's not really the traditional pub garden type of place.
  • The Lost Hour by the station

The Auctioneer's the kind of place you take a bird who you're trying to get rid off.

• I'd say the Cutty Sark was the best bet - can sit and eat outside, food's not the cheapest but is usually reliably good, beer's solid and you couldn't get closer to the Thames.

I'd very much recommend the Dial Arch if as Clem said you fancy a couple of stops further on.
  • Plume If Feathers all day long mate
  • Thanks a lot everyone - appreciated, a lot to mull over there - will check out some of the links now.

Gonna be baking tomorrow I think.

Off_it, I will bear that in mind!!!

• If your trying to slip her one, take her to the Trafalger, otherwise the weatherspoons
  • The pub food in the trafalgar isn't all that.
    Boggzy can I suggest getting off boat, walk thru the gates of naval college into the Old Brewery. Have one in their beautiful courtyard. Then take a walk thru the grounds, have another in the trafalgar, then walk down the alley past the yacht and onto the river and stop in the Cutty for lunch! Sorted.
  • The Cutty Sark may be pricy but, if you can get the table in the bay window upstairs, the view makes it worth the extra. You'd probably have to book the table.
    Nice walk along the towpath to get there as well
  • Curb_It said:

The pub food in the trafalgar isn't all that.
    Boggzy can I suggest getting off boat, walk thru the gates of naval college into the Old Brewery. Have one in their beautiful courtyard. Then take a walk thru the grounds, have another in the trafalgar, then walk down the alley past the yacht and onto the river and stop in the Cutty for lunch! Sorted.

May do something like that to be honest Curb_It - think the way forward is to definitely go to the Old Brewery first.

Thanks again all