Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyme Disease

Just been diagnosed with lyme disease. It is pretty horrible by all accounts, but i am hoping that it has been caught early and will be sorted out. Anyone had experience of this? The perils of working with animals!

Comments

• Rare here, common in USA. Darryl Hall has it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22468181
  • Good luck moutouakilla.
  • Not any experience with Lyme disease, but hope it's treatable for you because of the early detection. All the best.
  • Good luck to you Moutuakilla, what sort of treatment you on for illness?
    as you said its associated with animals, Bailey had tests for it a while back and we learnt then how rare it is, I believe is detectable with blood tests as I had to have also had to be checked for it.
  • Just doxycycline. The problem with lyme disease is it is very hard to detect and if you have it it does not mean it will show up in blood tests. At the same time, tests can come back positive even if you don't have it. It also depends what stage your are at. Fortunately i was working for a research institute that knows a lot about it, so i was aware of what to look out for. If i had not known about it, i would have just thought it was flu or something similar. Thanks guys, should be fine. Met someone the other day that has had it for 4 years and has to have radiation treatment, it can be pretty nasty. Watch out for those ticks if you go walking in the forest!
  • Just read up on it as never heard of it. Thank god you found it early. All the best in knocking it into touch.
  • Blimey.You're lucky they recognised it. Mate of mine had it.Sent him loopy for three days and then it calmed down.It's when it goes undetected the real problems start.Can give some real long term health issues without anyone knowing it's actually the lymes disease causing them.
  • What is it?
  • You caught it abroad mouta or at home (at your research institute), or somewhere else?
  • Off_it, its a disease associated with ticks.
  • Sponsored links:

• A friend of mine caught it from ticks while tramping around in long grass in Sweden. It was quickly diagnosed, and he was prescribed a lotion to soothe the main symptom - itchy balls. Yes, really. Cleared up after a few weeks.
  • edited July 2013

A friend of mine caught it from ticks while tramping around in long grass in Sweden. It was quickly diagnosed, and he was prescribed a lotion to soothe the main symptom - itchy balls. Yes, really. Cleared up after a few weeks.

Then it wasn't Lyme's disease. If it is caught early enough, Lyme's disease is treated by a long course of antibiotics to kill the rather nasty bacterium responsible. It can be caught in the UK in hotspots like the New Forest or areas with deer. We've been pretty poor at recognising it in the past so I'm really pleased that Mouta's infection has been caught early. All the best Mouta.
  • A friend of mine caught it from ticks while tramping around in long grass in Sweden. It was quickly diagnosed, and he was prescribed a lotion to soothe the main symptom - itchy balls. Yes, really. Cleared up after a few weeks.

Then it wasn't Lyme's disease. If it is caught early enough, Lyme's disease is treated by a long course of antibiotics to kill the rather nasty bacterium responsible. It can be caught in the UK in hotspots like the New Forest or areas with deer. We've been pretty poor at recognising it in the past so I'm really pleased that Mouta's infection has been caught early. All the best Mouta.
    I daresay he was prescribed antiobiotics as well. The irritation of the scrotum is a common symptom of this disease. My friend was lucky in that it was diagnosed quickly.

• I caught it in germany, but you can catch it pretty much everywhere these days where there are ticks. Pretty glad that i have not developed an itchy scrotum now... The biggest thing for me has been the exhaustion, which will hopefully go by the end of the course of antibiotics. My healthcare costs in germany were pretty astronomical, so hoping the insurance company doesn't duck out of it. Off to australia soon to do some more research and i really don't want to have to pay for medical bills over there!
  • I didn't know anything about it until I watched the film Lymelife a few months ago. Wish you well Moutuakilla
  • Yes, best wishes, Moutuakilla. While the antibiotics were taking effect, my pal dusted his scrotum liberally with talcum powder and wore baggy shorts.
  • Good luck with the recovery Mout.
  • If you are bitten by a tick it is very important to get the whole of it out as quickly as possible. The mouth parts become embedded into the skin and a special tool is often needed to remove them so I understand.
  • How to remove a tick - useful for dogs as well. If, despite being a good boy sprout, you happen to find yourself unprepared and tweezerless, then a cotton thread tied around the mouthparts of the tick, tightened and then gently pulled upwards will work. Don't try to burn or squash them off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wotB38WrRY