Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A&E at QEH

Anyone on here had any recent experience (last 3 months) of the service at A&E, QEH? Please report particularly good as well as bad experiences! I ask so that it can be fed back to commissioners.

Comments

• Was there about a year ago. Had to wait four hours for stitches in my head.

The staff were excellent, just really really busy.

Good luck, hope you're ok.
  • They do the best they can imho. The fact that they are the only A&E for all of Greenwich and Bexley is never going to make anyones wait to see someone a happy place. Once you are seen we never have any complaints doctors dealt with us as would be expected.
  • Was there about four months ago, early hours of the morning full of piss heads that had fallen over/had a fight who eventually got bored of waiting (as there was nothing really wrong with them in the first place).

I was checked on arrival then waited a couple of hours and was seen again and given the ok to go home.

Decent service and the wait is due to how busy it gets rather than negligence
  • The cleaning in the whole hospital is disgusting and should be reviewed and changed

The cleaners have no pride in what they do when my grandmother was in there I had to clean blood and crap off her cubical walls and floor
  • edited July 2013
    I've been there twice in the last 12 months, once during the day once late evening (and early hours) midweek. Tend to agree re the cleaning, but I thought they had a busy A&E organised pretty well given the constraints of the Trust being in administration. Took a few hours, but you expect that. I was low priority on one and mid the other time. Staff were very friendly, to a person and to a fault. Nurses and doctors were friendly, efficient and professional. Not that I'll be booking a suite, you understand, but exceeded my expectations on both occasions.
  • They do the best they can imho. The fact that they are the only A&E for all of Greenwich and Bexley is never going to make anyones wait to see someone a happy place. Once you are seen we never have any complaints doctors dealt with us as would be expected.

Is there no A&E at QM in Sidcup anymore?
  • Riviera said:

They do the best they can imho. The fact that they are the only A&E for all of Greenwich and Bexley is never going to make anyones wait to see someone a happy place. Once you are seen we never have any complaints doctors dealt with us as would be expected.

there is a minor injuries unit that i was at a couple of weeks ago with my brother in law when he broke his hand but no A&E
  • Is there no A&E at QM in Sidcup anymore?

There is still a small walk in clinic at Queen Marys, though not well publicised. Also an excellent eye clinic open 7 days a week.
  • No, I avoid QEH like the plague. Sent us home twice when our baby boy had a stroke. The notes read 'no concerns, no follow up'. Consequently it took us months to get a diagnosis and therefore treatment.
  • Riviera said:

They do the best they can imho. The fact that they are the only A&E for all of Greenwich and Bexley is never going to make anyones wait to see someone a happy place. Once you are seen we never have any complaints doctors dealt with us as would be expected.

there is a minor injuries unit that i was at a couple of weeks ago with my brother in law when he broke his hand but no A&E
    I didn't realise that. Pretty shocking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Vincenzo said:

No, I avoid QEH like the plague. Sent us home twice when our baby boy had a stroke. The notes read 'no concerns, no follow up'. Consequently it took us months to get a diagnosis and therefore treatment.

shocking I am astounded

I hope all is ok now

• My dad went a&e there about 18 months ago, very good staff and service, which is more than can be said for the treatment he received once admitted to a ward. Absolutely shocking level of care.
  • Thanks, nla.

Fingers crossed, he'll be OK. The further we get away from the 'incident' the better chance he has of it not happening again. And now he's on aspirin, he'll be in less danger if it does. It's very rare it happens in babies, so they just thought - he's a toddler, they fall over. Didn't really listen to us and how certain we were something was wrong. He has physio now as he has a bit of left-sided weakness, but he's happy as Larry and a brilliant kid, so we're counting our blessings. Hopefully he'll get it all back as he's so young.
  • Shocking story vincenzo. Good luck to the little lad.
  • brilliant mate glad he is on the mend now, when my baby girl was ill with her kidney they wouldn't listen at chase farm a and e tried to say it was a water infection and it wasn't that bad, I had to film her in pain this was the third visit to a and at chase farm in a matter of hrs, only then did the dr do anything and then the scans revealed a kidney 30% bigger in dilation than it should have and a blockage that was causing the kidney to swell

they all look at you like an over exaggerated parent
  • Thanks, Curb it.

That's an awful story too, nla. I hope she's OK now, poor thing. It just goes to show how much doctors need to listen to parents. We do know our kids better than anyone. Once we got to St Thomas', we had fantastic care and I'm so grateful to our NHS, but QEH was terrible.
  • yeah she is great now bar a 6 inch scar on her side, you wouldn't know anything had happened, GOSH and Gt Portland hospital was absolutely amazing care
  • Unfortunately I've had to go to the A&E at QE with family about 20-30 times in the last 6-8 months.

Agree with others, the cleaning leaves a lot to be desired and the waiting times are ridiculous (pretty standard now). Sometimes even waiting 4+ hours at 2am on a Thursday morning.

However, once you finally get to see a doctor etc. I cannot fault the 'service' (if you call it that) that you get from each and every doctor and nurse in the hospital.
  • Dirty wards, clinic rooms or patient bays are unacceptable on every level. It is the responsibility of every member of staff both clinical and domestic to ensure that this doesn't happen. Blaming the cleaner isn't good enough. Ward managers, nurses, doctors and anyone employed in the hospital has a responsibility to the public it serves. Things must be pretty bad if the staff are so demoralised that they no longer take notice of their professional codes of conduct.
  • My last two A&E experiences were several years ago but I left bleeding on the first occasions because I couldn't wait 8 hours through the night. I need stitches but repaired it best I could with Sellotape. Now have a messy scar as a result, could have had infection and complications. Second visit was with a mate, we also faced 8 hours so went to Lewisham instead where he got seen to. I tried to get an X-ray at QEH recently. Three visits with a queue of 20 plus each time (outside the busy period) and a Radiographer working at snails pace. Paid to get it done at Blackheath - £98 but worth it to avoid waiting all day. Now being mucked about trying to get a copy of an MRI scan. A week to be sent a form and twenty day lead time, so five weeks to get a CD cut. Absolute farce. I am pleased the reality of our appalling health service is finally being revealed by the media. Yes, there are thousands of dedicated individuals doing their level best but thousands equally aren't and there is an evident "couldn't-care-less" attitude and precious little first-line management. Mum was in St Thomas's earlier this year at the weekend - what a shambles. Not surprised at all that your chances of dying in hospital escalate dramatically on Friday, Saturday and Sundays when it's a skeleton staff. Unfortunately you have to shout and create a fuss to ensure you get basic treatment.
  • Sponsored links:

• yeah she is great now bar a 6 inch scar on her side, you wouldn't know anything had happened, GOSH and Gt Portland hospital was absolutely amazing care

Glad to hear it, feller.

• Was there about four months ago, early hours of the morning full of piss heads that had fallen over/had a fight who eventually got bored of waiting (as there was nothing really wrong with them in the first place).

I was checked on arrival then waited a couple of hours and was seen again and given the ok to go home.

Decent service and the wait is due to how busy it gets rather than negligence

That infection still not cleared up yet Dave pal?! Hard luck.....

; )
  • edited July 2013
    Some of you people really don't know what your on about.
    Source : Mrs works in AMU QEH, also spent 5 months in intensive care and no I won't be getting in a debate with anyone.
  • who ?

it is a dirty hospital I would go as far as to say that it is the dirtiest hospital I have been in
  • Some of you people really don't know what your on about.
    Source : Mrs works in AMU QEH, also spent 5 months in intensive care and no I won't be getting in a debate with anyone.

Well i sincerely hope she wasn't involved with the "treatment" my terminally ill father received there last year. I've always appreciated what a good job staff do under difficult circumstances but the majority of nurses we encountered were useless, disinterested c*nts. Apologies if that offends some but his care was awful, all they wanted to do was get rid of him. Example - I turned up just as two nurses were trying to get him to stand (we'd repeatedly told them he'd been bed bound for months) and he was draped around them and it was obvious that the second they let him go he'd collapse. An hour later they were trying to discharge him stating he could stand perfectly well. We also told them numerous time that due to his tumor he couldn't remember things for more than 5 minutes. I turned up just as a nurse was giving him a hard time because he'd soiled himself. I intervened and the pig ignorant nurse told me that he knows to press the buzzer when he needed to go. No he doesnt i repeated for the umpteenth time, he can't remember.
  • DM the treatment of my nan and her good friend bridey was the same except bridey ended up with bruises that you could see were caused by mis practice yet none were recorded on her sheets until I challenged and still they were not recorded properly

when my dad was dying of cancer he wouldn't stay there never said why to us but hated it there yet this was a man who spent ages in st Thomas and couldn't speak highly of them

sorry you experienced the same
  • Admittedly 5 years ago. However, my dad went into QE with a collapsed lung & emphysema.
    The place was not cleaned properly & he contracted MRSA.
    Within a week, due in part I feel, to the care, food, infection etc, he basically gave up the will to live.
    He was dead within a month.
    I hope to God, that I never end up in there.
    I considered taking action, but didn't have the fight at the time & it wasn't what my mum wanted.
    RIP Dad.
  • Admittedly 5 years ago. However, my dad went into QE with a collapsed lung & emphysema.
    The place was not cleaned properly & he contracted MRSA.
    Within a week, due in part I feel, to the care, food, infection etc, he basically gave up the will to live.
    He was dead within a month.
    I hope to God, that I never end up in there.
    I considered taking action, but didn't have the fight at the time & it wasn't what my mum wanted.
    RIP Dad.

Sorry to hear that mate but know exactly where you're coming from re not taking action.

I had to keep myself in check for my Mum's sake but felt like exploding at times. She'd come out every night in tears. Not because she knew there was no cure for him but because she felt she was failing him by leaving him in there.
  • Some horror stories on here and i imagine plenty have many more.

Ive always been okay the times I've been to the A&E apart from a bit of a wait on minor injury. When I had a serious problem the service was excellent. The only time i was unhappy when i was put in a ward at 11pm at night and the night staff were awful. Daytime completely different attitude but this was a few years back, and he did ask for the last 3 months.

I was just looking for a ward name and came across this. So there is a chance to have your say on here.

https://www.oc-meridian.com/slh/completion/standard/frameset.asp?displayMenu=yes&Content=homepage.asp&scorecardID=276&scorecardName=FFT Inpatient