Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Advice needed

I am selling a vehicle online via auto trader and Gum tree and I had a request come in by email this is the request it seems a bit dodgy to me tbh but as I have never sold a car in this way before I am unsure I think it is a bit of a scam but I may be wrong, the guy has not seen the car just asked some very basic questions

Thanks for getting back to me i have check the listing and am okay with it so I'm satisfied with the Price. I really want this to be a surprise for my friend so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to him .i have a shipping agent that do pick up for me, they will be the one to pick it up for me after the payment has been made to your account. I will be paying you through PayPal which is a fast, safe and reliable method of payment. .If you don't have a PayPal account just logon to www.paypal.com and setup your PayPal account, after setting up your PayPal account you locate the request money button located at the top of your PayPal account home page, use it to request money directly from my PayPal account which is paulwalker190@yahoo.ie once I receive your money request from PayPal, I will submit payment to you immediately via PayPal asap.</</b>i>

Thanks

Paul Walker

what do you think i should do he is offering full selling price never used pay pal never done any transaction in this way it all seems odd

Comments

• I bought a car via Ebay but not through Paypal. You agree in principle to buy, then its pay on the day subject to agreeing the deal is good for both parties.
  • Haha it's a scam.
  • Scam, I saw something the other week on Watchdog (I think).

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13407
  • Dodgy as hell ignore , standard response from a Gumtree ad TBH, more or less the same i had for a Irish dance dress, i messed with them for a while as they were buying it for a boy in Ghana, yeah right can really she some boy from Ghana wearing or wanting a Irish Dance dresss for a £1000

Tell them to do one
  • Is he in Nigeria?
  • it came through from autotrader that's why i was surprised
  • right time to have fun with this fecka cheers all thought it was but wanted to make sure
  • edited July 2013
  • Good luck, feel free to share.
  • shipping agent that do pick up for me

• Sponsored links:

• Tell them you don't have paypal and only accept cash or bank transfers. If they get back to you and say paypal only then you know it's a scam.

The chances are that he will pay you from a fake paypal site - so it will appear that the money has gone through. In the meantime your vehicle has been collected and will never be seen again.

A variation on the scam is that this guy has given you an Irish yahoo account (ending in IE). You ship the vehicle - which never arrives.

I don't know what type of vehicle you are selling, but unless it is incredibly rare/valuable then I would suggest that the buyer could acquire one much closer to home. Now why would an Irish buyer want to buy a vehicle from London/South East England and pay for the shipping?
  • Thats an irish email account too. Wasnt there a programme on some Irish scammers recently based in Limerick?
  • I have sent our friend paul an email

saying that i can not believe he is so good natured that he trusts someone to sell him a vehicle without seeing it, i know he is abroad as he is using a shipping agent so i advised him to send an agent to me to view the car i will talk to him on the phone that his agent must supply and we can discuss any issues there may be with the vehicle

and he can ensure his agent has the asking price in cash on him as i don't do pay pal

i also have sent his email to autotrader and the link to the scam site posted above

i hope his agent comes rd so i can crack his skull with my bat

• i am going limerick later this year b cant trust them stab city feckas
  • Seems they send you a fake email from PayPal saying the money is being held, and the money includes the shipping. You are then supposed to send money for the shipping (to the scammer using a different identity) before the money for the car is released to you.

Bait the fecker, and try to get one of those trophy photos with him holding up a rude sign. Pretend you are called Don Kiddick.
  • i want his head
  • is it legal to sell police cars on Autotrader and Gum Tree?
  • only if i take the sirens off
  • There once was a scammer from Limerick.
    Who thought NLA was a bit thick.
    He thought ' I'll show those fools'
    The size of these balls,
    And will teach them for taking the mick.
  • McBobbin said:

Seems they send you a fake email from PayPal saying the money is being held, and the money includes the shipping. You are then supposed to send money for the shipping (to the scammer using a different identity) before the money for the car is released to you.

Bait the fecker, and try to get one of those trophy photos with him holding up a rude sign. Pretend you are called Don Kiddick.

Yeh, come on NLA, you know you wanna.
  • Sponsored links:

• if I can get one of them to come rd I assure you I will post pics of either me beating him with a cosh or me beating him with a cosh whilst he is holding one of those signs

problem is now I have received 4 emails from interested people and I am having to be suspicious and it aint in my nature
  • love the limerick
  • 2 others just tried the same thing is this what its like selling vehicles now

I have asked one how do I go about it and I asked the other to set one up for me
  • Why don't you try webuyanycar.com ?
  • better off part x than we buy any car
  • Not always. Recently sold our qashqai and got grand more than what we got offered part exchAnge. You do tZke a knock on the price compared to private sale but willingly take that to avoid having to show time wasters the car and organising your life around viewings.
  • Offer to deliver the car yourself at 80% of the cost he's paying the shipper as long as he pays for the shipping costs up front.
  • Let them know that your old bill, that should frighten the scammers off.
  • none of them want to play no more I sent them a picture of the tools I was going to use upon the shipper when he arrived as none of them replied to my nicer responses