Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Croatia: holiday travel destination

Any idea what the best currency strategy is, Sterling, Euro, Dollar or their currency please?

Ta

Comments

• You can't really go wrong with HRK mate, currently about 8.47 to the pound.
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks, is best to buy it here or there?
  • I have just come back from a week in Hvar. Definitely get yourself down there if you get a chance, ferry from Split takes a couple of hours. Prices were about the same as anything in UK.
  • razil said:

Thanks, is best to buy it here or there?

Use HRK - Euro is poor out there and makes everything expensive. The best rate I have ever seen was at Dubrovnik Airport when I changed some money back on the way home.

If you want to get some before going FX at Covent Garden was the best rate by a mile when I went last year.

• Flying to Split, then boat to Brac, Hotel Elaphusa
  • if in the city, go to thomas exchange on bishopsgate
  • OK I assume they are decent then?
  • Check if you get charged on your bank card for withdrawing abroad.
    If not, get the funds out there.

Even if you do get charged prob best to get out there anyway.

where is the cheapest place to buy a Turkish rug - Turkey
    where is cheapest place to buy Brazillian coffee beans - Brazil
    where is best place to buy Croatian Kuna - Croatia

anyone who buys currency at an airport should have their right to travel revoked.
  • Just back from Croatia myself Raz. People may correct me, but nowadays isnt it better to just take cash from an ATM as you need it? Security apart from anything else..hate walking around with too much cash, anywhere
  • get one of those preloaded cards... don't get charged to withdraw from an ATM. Just went to split, dubronvik and korcula. Great place.
  • Sponsored links:

• razil said:

Flying to Split, then boat to Brac, Hotel Elaphusa

You should have a great holiday. Explore Split if you have the time: a fascinating working port with a Diocletian palace right in the middle. Also recommended: Trogir, a walled medieval town about 20 miles north up the coast; and the island of Hvar, near Brac: idyllic. Enjoy!

• I got burned by the Post Office on a dollar card a few years back, the buy back rate was appalling.
  • Brac was wicked when we went does your ferry/boat arrive at sumartin a lovely little town that is also
  • not sure, don't go til next Sat, but in France from tomorrow, Marseilles, Avingon, Perpignan, as mentioned elsewhere
  • Thomas exchange or ACE-FX both decent . Post office and airports are awful
  • MrOneLung said:

Check if you get charged on your bank card for withdrawing abroad.
    If not, get the funds out there.

Even if you do get charged prob best to get out there anyway.

where is the cheapest place to buy a Turkish rug - Turkey
    where is cheapest place to buy Brazillian coffee beans - Brazil
    where is best place to buy Croatian Kuna - Croatia

anyone who buys currency at an airport should have their right to travel revoked.

LOL.

BTW MrOneLung is too modest to mention it, but he works in the business and knows his stuff

• I got stung at city airport once, never again
  • Just use your CCard and take some (a little bit) cash with you, changed over here in the UK, if you do want to take some cash order it online as rates are much better especially over 500 quid, other then that just make sure what your bank charges are for atm use.
  • razil said:

I got stung at city airport once, never again

Worst place.

• Definitely use Kuna. The exchange rate I got was, looking back, shocking (8.003 to the pound) but based on prices out there, not too bad. I'd guess that withdrawing with your card isn't TOO bad if possible - a friend got 8.8HRK to the pound, charged 4 quid, so it's economical in larger amounts definitely. This was late June.

As for travel tips - learn a few choice German phrases as well as Croatian ones (as I assume you'll find German more to your liking). Make sure you have suncream, all that hot weather stuff too. Make sure you check out beaches thoroughly before going on them - some can be rocky; sometimes SHARP rocks can be concealed by water (friend got slashed by them and sea urchins stung her).

Beer is reasonably priced, as is ice cream. Food is not too bad at all - seafood however can be very expensive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Whose monitoring the Trust accounts. ;-) lol
    Have a great time.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Definitely use Kuna. The exchange rate I got was, looking back, shocking (8.003 to the pound) but based on prices out there, not too bad. I'd guess that withdrawing with your card isn't TOO bad if possible - a friend got 8.8HRK to the pound, charged 4 quid, so it's economical in larger amounts definitely. This was late June.

As for travel tips - learn a few choice German phrases as well as Croatian ones (as I assume you'll find German more to your liking). Make sure you have suncream, all that hot weather stuff too. Make sure you check out beaches thoroughly before going on them - some can be rocky; sometimes SHARP rocks can be concealed by water (friend got slashed by them and sea urchins stung her).

Beer is reasonably priced, as is ice cream. Food is not too bad at all - seafood however can be very expensive.

Did you think the seafood was expensive? I thought it was generally pretty OK this year. We knocked off a sea bass more than big enough for two of us on our last night and they charged us something like £18 for this 1.2kg monster. You'd pay double that in the UK, and it wouldn't be so fresh. And fresh grilled sardines for a light lunch, bargain.

But the sea urchins and rocks, that's important, Raz. Most of Croatia is rocky. However everywhere you can buy shoes for the water. They are cheap as chips, and will give you and the kids the protection they need.

Croatia's great. I've got the view from our terrace on my laptop desktop, and just want to be back there.

• Just got back from Croatia. Lovely place with friendly locals. Generally speaking their level of English is pretty high especially in the resort areas like Istria. As others have mentioned a little German also goes a long way. Enjoy!
  • We always get about £50 of foreign currency at the airport when working abroad and then use that rate as an exchange rate for all our expenses. Nice money spinner.
  • Its research guv hionest..