Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Altinkum, Turkey

God help me ......
I'm on holiday here. I'd rather go to Margate, there would be less chavs about. Maybe ive become a snob but this place is appalling !! Why do so many Brits have to b so embarrassing abroad.
So busy, noisy and chav filled its like walking through a fairground.
Thank f*** it's just a week!!!!

Comments

• That's what happens if you go south of the river.
  • Worst holiday I've ever been on Turkey
  • Awful place, turkish men were all over my girlfriend for two weeks. Felt like laying one out by the end of the holiday.
  • Been to Altinkum twice, thought it was ok both times except it is full of notherners. Buzz bar and Kiss bar are the best places to drink.

Avoid the open air nightclub though, full of pervy Turkish men. It's a complete cockfest in there, the ratio of men to women is about 10 to 1.

Always found the locals friendly though.
  • prefer tinita altinkum myself..
  • Been to Altinkum twice, thought it was ok both times except it is full of notherners. Buzz bar and Kiss bar are the best places to drink.

Avoid the open air nightclub though, full of pervy Turkish men. It's a complete cockfest in there, the ratio of men to women is about 10 to 1.

Always found the locals friendly though.

That sounds dire !

Istanbul is amazing, rest of the country is as above.
  • Awful place, turkish men were all over my girlfriend for two weeks.
    Felt like laying one out by the end of the holiday.

That'll be all those kebabs. Does the same to me.

• We're going to port de pollenca in Mallorca for a few days in September (just me and the mrs) lovely place with none of the embarrassing Brit brigade in their footy shirts spending all day on the ale. Couldn't think of anything worse than that to be honest.
  • buckshee said:

We're going to port de pollenca in Mallorca for a few days in September (just me and the mrs) lovely place with none of the embarrassing Brit brigade in their footy shirts spending all day on the ale. Couldn't think of anything worse than that to be honest.

Just been in Cala Millor which has just the clientele that you mean, urgggh. Went to Cala Ratjada which is a very German resort, very chilled out, loved it there.

• Just literally booked a holiday to Santa Ponsa in Majorca about an hour and half ago. Anyone been there before? went years ago, didn't seem chavy or anything, just hoping it hasn't changed.
  • Sponsored links:

• As someone who lives in a holiday resort I suggest you avoid July and August, and pick where you stay carefully. If there is any kind of internet forum make use of it BEFORE you book to get advice and then when that advice is given, listen to it. If you are booking via a travel agent, do not listen to them, they will sell you the holiday they want to get rid of not necessarily the one you want. Here you can have a noisy, chav filled booze fest, a chilled out relaxed beach break or a pleasant, busy, gastronomic treat - it just depends on exactly where you stay and where you go...
  • buckshee said:

We're going to port de pollenca in Mallorca for a few days in September (just me and the mrs) lovely place with none of the embarrassing Brit brigade in their footy shirts spending all day on the ale. Couldn't think of anything worse than that to be honest.

Go to the Yacht Club for lunch, bottle of Chablis......BOOOOOOOOM!

• As someone who lives in a holiday resort I suggest you avoid July and August, and pick where you stay carefully. If there is any kind of internet forum make use of it BEFORE you book to get advice and then when that advice is given, listen to it. If you are booking via a travel agent, do not listen to them, they will sell you the holiday they want to get rid of not necessarily the one you want. Here you can have a noisy, chav filled booze fest, a chilled out relaxed beach break or a pleasant, busy, gastronomic treat - it just depends on exactly where you stay and where you go...

• Usually do but this was a family members apartment. Took the risk but boy has it backfired. We have been to Turkey before three times to a place called Kalkan, full of decent people, fab restaurants and smart boutique hotels. Oh I wish I was there. Hopefully 3 points Saturday will cheer me up
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Usually do but this was a family members apartment. Took the risk but boy has it backfired. We have been to Turkey before three times to a place called Kalkan, full of decent people, fab restaurants and smart boutique hotels. Oh I wish I was there. Hopefully 3 points Saturday will cheer me up

Sounds like I am rubbing it in mate! Currently in the Gural Premier in Tekirova (near Kemer) and it is unbelievable! Never done All Inclusive before and have been a real sceptic of it but this place is something else. Okay, paid a few extra shekels but boy is it worth it. Not a 'chav' in sight (hardly a Brit anywhere to be fair) and the AI deal is amazing! Food to die for, no queuing, water park with no queuing, top branded drinks and cocktails, cakes, coolers all around the place with help yourself drinks and ice creams, 24/7 food etc, honestly, it's top dollar. Full of Russians, Ukranians and Eurovision type entertainment but I got to tell you, it's great to avoid the English 'lets get wrecked' mentality! Call me a miserable git but I would take this place every time. Very few English channels on TV but free wi-fi sorts that out. So, if you wan't a fairly quiet, relaxed, resort but with real classy service and facilities etc check this place out and head here. The room is enormous with direct access to a pool and bar, mini bar stocked up daily and given a good clean daily. Wonderful.
  • J BLOCK said:

Worst holiday I've ever been on Turkey

Ditto.

• I'm off to Kolymbia on Rhodes this Saturday for a bit of bed, breakfast and evening meal. Has anyone been there?
  • I'm off to Mamaris tomorrow, fingers crossed. Last holiday in 2008 was Kalkan really nice place
  • Can anyone recommend anywhere for a 4 night stay in early October. Turkish med coast near Anatlya better than the Agean for weather then. This place in Tekirova sounds good, but quite a long transfer from the airport for a short break? Currently looking at Side (better than Belek?)

What is with Russians and speedos? Maybe that's why they are so grumpy (other thread and can't be because of their women in bikinis and heels - makes me feel fat and frumpy!)

• Can anyone recommend anywhere for a 4 night stay in early October. Turkish med coast near Anatlya better than the Agean for weather then. This place in Tekirova sounds good, but quite a long transfer from the airport for a short break? Currently looking at Side (better than Belek?)

What is with Russians and speedos? Maybe that's why they are so grumpy (other thread and can't be because of their women in bikinis and heels - makes me feel fat and frumpy!

This place in Tekirova is unreal as far as All Inclusive goes mate. Yes, it was me on the other thread about the Russians but kind of tongue in cheek. I am a fussy git but I promise you, if its the All Inclusive food/drink experience that you want this place will not let you down. Beach a bit pebbley etc but the complex is unreal! Just met some other Brits (if you can call a West Ham fan that) and they can't believe it either. The transfer from Anatayla took 1 hr 45 and we went with Thomas Cook.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bj, we are now thinking of going for a week as only a few £s more an d it includes,transfers etc. is there anywhere nearby to go to where you are, or is it pretty much just the hotel? Even if the hotel is great, we like to get out and about a bit if staying somewhere for a week
  • Bj, we are now thinking of going for a week as only a few £s more an d it includes,transfers etc. is there anywhere nearby to go to where you are, or is it pretty much just the hotel? Even if the hotel is great, we like to get out and about a bit if staying somewhere for a week

Fiona, the town itself is pretty small with the usual shops etc. Thomas Cook have loads of decent excursions on offer though, ranging from white water rafting, sky lift cable car, Antayla shopping or night trip, jeep safari, plus others. Check our the 'Escape Parascending Tekirova' website. If you want to be really adventurous you can descend from 10,000ft (highest in world allegedly) and they will land you on the local beach. Bit pricey (300 dollars) but apparently really worth it. Other than that though very little outside the hotel. Kemer is only about 20 minutes away though and is busier. Like I say, the complex is truly to die for but if you want more in the local town then Tekirova my not be for you. Not a Sky Sports bar in sight but free wi-fi in hotel. Also, check the hotel website about the water park. Not sure if it s open in Oct?
  • Thanks, sounds like there's stuff to do. We're going to chose between this place and 2 in Side; which are slightly less but not sure if the AI deal etc is as good. We're going including 12 October don't miss a home game! My boyfriend is a Reading supported and they're at home when were away, so this is the weekend we gonna go as no games
  • We were looking at Side but ended up going to Olu Deniz which was awesome and apparently a bit cheaper than side. There is a national park beach/bay about a 15 min walk up the main beach/sea front which is just stunning. Had a great hotel just off the strip of bars and restaurants. did a day trip to the jslands and jumped off the boat into the sea when it stopped. Went 1st week of oct last year. Fab. Couldn't recommend it enough.
  • Ss, can you remember the hotel name? Olu Deniz is served by Dalaman isn't it - will have to check out if it gets the same late summer temperatures Antalya normally does
  • Went to Olu Deniz a few years ago. Lovely place, friendly people and bloody hot. Good mixture of nationalities as well
  • Olu Deniz & Fethiye are supposed to be much nicer but I'm checking out if ok in early October as the season isn't quite as long as in Side and they close down etc
  • http://www.libertyhotelsoludeniz.co.uk/
    It used to be called Asena Beach hotel, but was changing owners when we were there. there are individual apartments down towards the pool or more modern hotel rooms in the main building which are lush if you can get an upgrade.
    Not often we go on holiday and would say that we'd go back to the same resort and the same hotel!