Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pub Crawl Help

I need some help please, CWLC is having a warm up stag drink Saturday (practice run for Munich) and need advice on a pub crawl to the ground.
We intend to have a quick one in Greenwich then breakkie/brunch in Goddards then take in a few pubs along the river to the ground!
Any recommendations for pubs on route from Goddards would be much appreciated
Cheers!
ps anyone thats wants to tag along, please feel free!

Comments

• You can't go wrong: first stop, the Trafalgar Tavern, a handsome Georgian building with big windows overlooking the river. The Yacht, a few doors along, has a tiny terrace; you may want to skip this and continue along the riverside path to the Cutty Sark, a bow-fronted old house with Young's beer. Continue downriver and then cut inland across the Greenwich peninsula to the Pilot for excellent Fuller's ales. Rejoin the river, and enjoy a pint on the terrace in front of the Anchor & Hope - just ten minutes from the ground. Chin-chin!
  • Cheers VF sounds a plan!
  • Cheers VF sounds a plan!

Allow yourselves plenty of time, because the walk is about three miles, though every step is interesting along by the river (you'll pass an old-fashioned boat repair yard still working) and across the new developments on the peninsula. Try and finish lunch at Goddard's by about 1230. Enjoy!

• It coud be a stretch to fit the Pilot in, unless by taxi. Then a long way to the Anchor & Hope, though fairly well served by busses from near the Pilot. I'd go along the Woolwich Road from the Cutty Sark pub, heading for the Angerstein first, then the Rose of Denmark, (with other, rougher options available on that route).
  • Swords-alive - The Pilot is about two hundred yards at most from the Cutty Sark pub. The Anchor and Hope is a bit of schlep though (1.5 miles). As for the Angerstein - avoid the Millwall dump.
  • Swords-alive - The Pilot is about two hundred yards at most from the Cutty Sark pub. The Anchor and Hope is a bit of schlep though (1.5 miles). As for the Angerstein - avoid the Millwall dump.

Think you might be thinking of the Pelton Arms; that is 200 yards from the Cutty Sark.
  • Points taken! I haven't made that trip across from the Cutty Sark and had relied on google maps to back up a mistaken suspicion! The Angerstein, yes i recall now that it opened early specially for MFC at the last home game. So, the real choice in the plan could be Anchor or RoD, both served by busses from near the Pilot.

Think you might be thinking of the Pelton Arms; that is 200 yards from the Cutty Sark.
    Yes, I think he may be. The Pilot is at the base of the peninsula, which you must cross if you don't have time to follow the river round the Dome. It's a good pub on several levels, with a civilised atmosphere and a sheltered garden. Fuller's tied house, so the ale is always in excellent nick.

Swords-Alive -don't let it ever be said I don't say sorry or admit I am wrong. I was indeed thinking of the Pelton - thanks Red in SE8. The Pilot would be a good stop off between the Pelton and the Anchor!
  • Thank you everyone, so pretty much along the river to the pilot then a slap across to the Anchor, then maybe a quickie in the Lib before the game! We intend to be in Greenwich for 10ish, a drink or 2 before food so should be out of Goddards by 12 I reckon, any local cab numbers in case we get held up in one or more of the pubs chaps, appreciate all the help!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2013

Swords-alive - The Pilot is about two hundred yards at most from the Cutty Sark pub. The Anchor and Hope is a bit of schlep though (1.5 miles). As for the Angerstein - avoid the Millwall dump.

Swords-Alive -don't let it ever be said I don't say sorry or admit I am wrong. I was indeed thinking of the Pelton - thanks Red in SE8. The Pilot would be a good stop off between the Pelton and the Anchor!

haha. No worries. I need to re-acquaint myself with the area anyway it seems. But good to know we are still replete with decent pubs in that area at least.
  • I don't know about the other boozers on the list Creepy but The Pelton Arms is an absolute blinder of a pub, even more so in the evening when the live bands are on.
  • All the pubs mentioned above are cracking boozers, which only goes to underline the song: Oh South London is wonderful...
  • Many thanks chaps, hopefully we'll make the game! (then again!)
  • You could start at The Mitre then on to the galleon then the cutty sark, Back to Hardys by the entrance to the market then into the market and the pub at the back,then go round to the plume of Feathers which has good real ale, then you could go Hardys along Trafalgar road and then cross over to the Pelton, another pub at the end of that road and then back onto the main road by the forum which has a pub opposite. You could then take a bus up to the pilot inn then go along to the anchor,then on to the game.
  • Pelton arms is a must. Pilot closed for extension and refurb. until early November.
  • Start at the Richard 1, walk through the park to the Plume, down to the Cutty Sark, onto the Pelton, bus at the end of the road, down to the Anchor.

Job done.
  • Badger said:

You could start at The Mitre then on to the galleon then the cutty sark, Back to Hardys by the entrance to the market then into the market and the pub at the back,then go round to the plume of Feathers which has good real ale, then you could go Hardys along Trafalgar road and then cross over to the Pelton, another pub at the end of that road and then back onto the main road by the forum which has a pub opposite. You could then take a bus up to the pilot inn then go along to the anchor,then on to the game.

Def no game there then!
  • You can't go wrong: first stop, the Trafalgar Tavern, a handsome Georgian building with big windows overlooking the river. The Yacht, a few doors along, has a tiny terrace; you may want to skip this and continue along the riverside path to the Cutty Sark, a bow-fronted old house with Young's beer. Continue downriver and then cut inland across the Greenwich peninsula to the Pilot for excellent Fuller's ales. Rejoin the river, and enjoy a pint on the terrace in front of the Anchor & Hope - just ten minutes from the ground. Chin-chin!

Good advice there...never been in the pilot but have frequented all the others on many ocassions, agree they will need to start in Greenwich around mid-day as thats a good 3 mile walk in total.