Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

gutted, huddersfield, really

im gutted, that was tough to take, after the current stuff i thought we might just go out and win. after everything i always have lots of optimism but this is breaking me quick. its quickly defeat after defeat and we don't have any money or stuff like that.

Comments

• Don't worry son, you'll have years of misery ahead of you supporting Charlton, to coin a Millwall phrase , it's what we do.
  • Gutting us all mate really is
  • Things were worse when I was your age
  • Lifes a bitch and then you support Charlton, thats the way it is.
  • Reading not scoring let me down for £200. More pissed off with that at the moment....until Huddersfield get drawn away at Old Trafford.
  • 47ish years of going--maybe 10 goodish years and 37 of mainly shit-----------yep its what we do.
  • Reading not scoring let me down for £200. More pissed off with that at the moment....until Huddersfield get drawn away at Old Trafford.

Wouldn't be a good draw for town. Unless I'm wrong, gate money isn't shared in League cup..................

Wouldn't be a good draw for town. Unless I'm wrong, gate money isn't shared in League cup..................
    I'm confident it is. Cup money is always shared.
  • Hold on tight. It'll be another 50/60/70 (select according to the life expectancy determined by your social class) years of misery interrupted by fleeting moments of mediocrity - "remember when we finished 9th in the Premier League". But this is it, a relationship that you can't divorce and that literally only death will do part and even then your bloody heirs will scatter your ashes over the Valley, which will be a shopping centre by then.
  • Jackmasterflash - it's the bad times that make the good times so good. We're all in the same boat. Better that than watching a side that wins most of their matches and then loses to the likes of us! Our high will always be better than theirs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nobody has died, chill out
  • Can someone remind me the last time we won the League Cup? Or reached the semi or even quarter finals?

I've been supporting Charlton for the last 50 years and apart from the odd trip to Old Trafford and Molineux in the F A Cup I'm struggling to recall any real Cup fever. Why should this year be any different? We've certainly lost to worst teams than Huddersfield in previous campaigns - Orient, Shrewsbury, Hereford, Yeovil, Preston and Luton in the last six seasons alone.

Some teams have a history of Cup success. We're simply not one of them and until the Club ranks these competitions on a par with the likes of promotion, we won't be.

• edited August 2013
    Fifth Round in 80-81 away at Ipswich was a good cup run as we started in the first round. We did actually reach the quarters against Wycombe a few years back as well. We all know that cup runs are not the way we do things lol

Didn`t we make the quarters of the fa cup against Boro as well?
  • On the plus side, we've got them away again in a few weeks and I really doubt we would have beaten them twice at their place in such quick succession. Set ourselves up for a league win now!
  • That`s it, personally would rather have 3 league points than another league cup game.
  • E-cafc said:

Fifth Round in 80-81 away at Ipswich was a good cup run as we started in the first round. We did actually reach the quarters against Wycombe a few years back as well. We all know that cup runs are not the way we do things lol

Middlesboro' FA Cup QF 2005/6
    Man Utd FA Cup QF 1993/4
    Ipswich FA Cup 5th Round 1980/1
    Wolves FA Cup 5th Round 1975/6

Wycombe in the League Cup QF 2006/7 (we were in the PL at the time and they were in Legue 2!)

Any more noteworthy runs to add?

• edited August 2013
    No, that's it post 1947 bar FA Cup QF v Bolton in 2000. Lost 1 - 0 to ten men.
  • edited August 2013
    We do ok in the cups in reality. If we assume we are mid table in the Championship that makes us around the 32nd best team in the country so we should make the last 64 and, on average every other year, the last 32 of the cups.

The quarter final means that we have got further than teams that will be, not only above us in our division, but a whole division above us. We can't expect to beat Premier League teams very often with the money they have.

I know there is often a team that has a cup run but it is rarely the same team so we have probably done as well as most other sides.

Also we have only finished in the top eight (7th) of the Premier League once in the thirty two years I've been watching us we've already got further in the cup than teams that finished way above us in the league pyramid.

I don't know what people's expectations are. Most teams of our size rest players because we all know that we are not very likely to get very far once the top teams get involved.

I'm more than happy with a good win against a lower division side (Oxford) and a defeat by the odd goal in five away at a ground we've only won at once in the last four visits, who are in much better form than us right now.
  • great result, not shamed.
    time to concentrate on the league.
  • No, that's it post 1947 bar FA Cup QF v Bolton in 2000. Lost 1 - 0 to ten men.

They had Eider Gudjonson and one Claus Jensen at the top of their game, if memory serves.
  • Sponsored links:

• We do ok in the cups in reality. If we assume we are mid table in the Championship that makes us around the 32nd best team in the country so we should make the last 64 and, on average every other year, the last 32 of the cups.

The quarter final means that we have got further than teams that will be, not only above us in our division, but a whole division above us. We can't expect to beat Premier League teams very often with the money they have.

I know there is often a team that has a cup run but it is rarely the same team so we have probably done as well as most other sides.

Also we have only finished in the top eight (7th) of the Premier League once in the thirty two years I've been watching us we've already got further in the cup than teams that finished way above us in the league pyramid.

I don't know what people's expectations are. Most teams of our size rest players because we all know that we are not very likely to get very far once the top teams get involved.

I'm more than happy with a good win against a lower division side (Oxford) and a defeat by the odd goal in five away at a ground we've only won at once in the last four visits, who are in much better form than us right now.

Agree with much of the logic here but should we be losing to Orient, Shrewsbury, Hereford, Yeovil, Preston and Luton as we have done in the last six seasons alone?

• E-cafc said:

Man Utd FA Cup QF 1993/4

Wycombe in the League Cup QF 2006/7 (we were in the PL at the time and they were in Legue 2!)

Take the Middlesboro game out of that and that is a piss poor record.
    I know people on here think that the cup is a distraction etc, but getting to the later stages if a cup are not the distraction often cited.
    I am sure I am in a minority here but just do not buy into the league only counts. Of course the league counts!
    I thought it was a decent team Chris put out last night, but the fact remains we lost to a team I would like to think are not that far from us in ability.
    When you build a team and you know your best team, going on a run is the important factor that means the league, but unless you have a big injury list, or a player that is so essential that you have to rest them, you play the best team, and have some youngsters in the squad.
    I do not expect to be turning over the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, or Arsenal, but I would have thought if the players cannot raise there game after last weekends performance they need to look at themselves.
    I admit my view is a minority one, but are we that wonderful at present to think that we cannot take a bit of criticism .
  • We do ok in the cups in reality. If we assume we are mid table in the Championship that makes us around the 32nd best team in the country so we should make the last 64 and, on average every other year, the last 32 of the cups.

Agree with much of the logic here but should we be losing to Orient, Shrewsbury, Hereford, Yeovil, Preston and Luton as we have done in the last six seasons alone?

Of course not, but then we shouldn't have beaten Reading two seasons ago, or Sheffield Wednesday back when they were Prem and we were second tier, or Blackburn away when they were the Premier League Champions, or Chelsea away when they were Premier League Champions.

Our cup record is not the best, but we have had our fair share of upsets in our favour. It is, obviously, more difficult to record giant killings when the club is big enough for there to be fewer clubs that would qualify as a scalp - especially as the very top sides rarely get done.

Look, for example, at Palace last night. That was the 'shock of the night' according to TalkSport this morning. Last season they were in the same division and no one batted an eyelid when City beat them 4-1 at home in the league just over a year ago.
  • edited August 2013

E-cafc said:

Man Utd FA Cup QF 1993/4

I know people on here think that the cup is a distraction etc, but getting to the later stages if a cup are not the distraction often cited.
    I am sure I am in a minority here but just do not buy into the league only counts. Of course the league counts!
    I thought it was a decent team Chris put out last night, but the fact remains we lost to a team I would like to think are not that far from us in ability.
    When you build a team and you know your best team, going on a run is the important factor that means the league, but unless you have a big injury list, or a player that is so essential that you have to rest them, you play the best team, and have some youngsters in the squad.
    I do not expect to be turning over the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, or Arsenal, but I would have thought if the players cannot raise there game after last weekends performance they need to look at themselves.
    I admit my view is a minority one, but are we that wonderful at present to think that we cannot take a bit of criticism .
    I wasn't there but the impression I get is that we did raise our game. The second Huddersfield goal was a bit flukey and the third came when we were pushing for a winner to, presumably, avoid extra time.

I'm reasonably happy with losing away to a team in the sand division as us. Not happy, obviously, but not angry and disappointed.
  • im kinda sad but im looking forward to leicester because i think we will play well. if we lose or play crap against leicester that is gonna hurt
  • this will be my 9th year as an addick fan and ive already experienced 2 relegations, 4 sackings, tons of top players sold, now 2 owners with no money to put into us, a team that finished 13th in league one, half the fanbase gone at one point and several supposed big takeovers never to materialise. ive seen alot of crap. the only 2 good seasons we've had have come recently and both in league one. my mum just calls it character building. if ive seen this in 8 or 9 years, imagine in 30 years time how much crap ive seen. the way i think about it, if 3 seasons dont live long in the memory then a good one will come along
  • Can someone remind me the last time we won the League Cup? Or reached the semi or even quarter finals?

I've been supporting Charlton for the last 50 years and apart from the odd trip to Old Trafford and Molineux in the F A Cup I'm struggling to recall any real Cup fever. Why should this year be any different? We've certainly lost to worst teams than Huddersfield in previous campaigns - Orient, Shrewsbury, Hereford, Yeovil, Preston and Luton in the last six seasons alone.

Some teams have a history of Cup success. We're simply not one of them and until the Club ranks these competitions on a par with the likes of promotion, we won't be.

Since the 1947 cup final we have had 3 1/4 finals, Man Utd, Bolton and Middlesbrough, all of course in the FA Cup

Since the 1947 cup final we have had 3 1/4 finals, Man Utd, Bolton and Middlesbrough, all of course in the FA Cup
    And Wycombe in the Carling Cup, in our Premier League relegation season - in my top 5 most miserable days as a Charlton fan.
  • im kinda sad but im looking forward to leicester because i think we will play well. if we lose or play crap against leicester that is gonna hurt

What if we play well but lose or draw?

• E-cafc said:

Man Utd FA Cup QF 1993/4

I wasn't there but the impression I get is that we did raise our game. The second Huddersfield goal was a bit flukey and the third came when we were pushing for a winner to, presumably, avoid extra time.

I'm reasonably happy with losing away to a team in the sand division as us. Not happy, obviously, but not angry and disappointed.
    And nor was I at the game..... and they probably did raise there game in the first half.
    But on Saturday, conditions aside they were very poor-Cousins aside, and I was there?
    This is not the first time I have come on here and suggested that the cup games are the sideline attraction that others seem to convinced they are.
    Inept performances like Northwich Victoria still give me nightmares, and I am not claiming that we in any way get distracted from the league, especially this season the way it is panning out?
    So for me I am not angry, but I am dissapointed ?.