Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The situation as I see it...

Yes, it was an encouraging performance last night but look at the goals we are conceding. The first was embarrassing- and I'm not having a go at Hamer- but in true Charlton fashion once the second (albeit deflected) equaliser had gone in it was obvious we would lose. So where do we go from here? With games against in form Leicester and Watford fast approaching it is hard to see where points/wins are going to come from especially if we keep shipping goals at this rate.

There clearly are no funds to bring players in and the manager is the one I feel sorry for, especially given the momentum we finished last season one which has now all been lost. With a high percentage of the squad out of contract at the end of the season, there is no doubt in my mind the lack of certainty regarding contracts is having an impact on performances. Let's look at a few facts....

*We were desperately close to going into this season with one established striker on our books....
*We have no recognised back up goalkeeper...
*We have two full backs who are a shadow of their former selves....
*We have no pace in the middle of the park...
*We have no money

As far as I can see- and I am as optimistic a fan as you can find- the only positives so far have been the goals of Church, the emergence of a potential new star in Pigott and the breakthrough of Cousins.

This board didn't seem to mind taking the acclaim on the pitch when we got promoted, if there is a potential takeover happening we need to be informed in some capacity because as I see it we are seeing proper Charlton people- people that care for the club- being moved out and we are heading to a situation if we don't get any investment where we will get a few loanees in and could end up in a year's time with very few players, no manager and back in League One- somewhere we had to fight so hard to escape previously....

As a fan of many years it makes me very sad to see the club like this- with gates falling and the likes of Slater and Jimenez refusing to sell because they want to make a bit of money out of the club.

Rant over- interested to hear your thoughts....

Comments

• Nothing really to disagree with there WW.

I'd guess you've not been following the forum to heavily in recent weeks as that is pretty much the consensus view and has been heavily debated.

Good sum up though.
  • Great summary to be fair
  • The goalkeeper situation worries me. Is Pope ready to actually compete for the shirt, or just merely a cheap emergency? hoping Hamer doesn't pick up an injury (in which case, an emergency loan might be used to plug the gap). If that's the case, Hamer is sitting pretty, knowing there's no-one (like Button) breathing down his neck. I've only managed to see 1 game this season (Boro) in which I was saying to the people I was with that the only way anyone was gonna score, was if someone f**ked up...............cue Mr Hamer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an admirer of him generally, but he definately has weaknesses in his game and (just maybe) without serious competition, players can become a bit complacent, which might well be the case for a few players who look around and see there's no real competition for their places..................................
  • Good summary.

Generally I am a glass half empty Charlton fan at the best of times, so naturally I am very worried.

Add to the above, the fact we have played 3 league games that count against teams who really are nothing special. Barnsley will be near the bottom 3, Boro had barely won an away game in 2013 and Bournemouth have lost by an aggregate 11-2 in their two away games, albeit their home form is better. We did not deserve more than a point in these games and not one of the sides really impressed a great deal.

We now have two horrible fixtures, despite the fact we got 6 points from Leicester (h) and Watford (a) last year, I really struggle to see us getting a point. Mainly as the defence look unable of keeping a clean sheet.

The table may not take shape until 10 or so games, but I honestly cannot see us being out of the bottom 3-5 by then.

Powell said to expect a tough season, he was spot on.

• Agree about the defence but we are missing the moments of magic from Fuller and Haynes in games that were similar to these first three.
  • it is hard to see where points/wins are going to come from

In my experience of watching Charlton, as soon as the majority of people start saying this (which they have) we start winning. It's like they deliberately wait until we're on the edge of despair and have all but abandoned hope before they give us a few more slender threads to cling onto. The sadist bastards.

Keep the faith.
  • it is hard to see where points/wins are going to come from

In my experience of watching Charlton, as soon as the majority of people start saying this (which they have) we start winning. It's like they deliberately wait until we're on the edge of despair and have all but abandoned hope before they give us a few more slender threads to cling onto. The sadist bastards.

Keep the faith.
    Best explanation of our form so far and I hope you are right.

I worry that our owners get trigger happy if we don't pick up any points before October which is a string possibility.

• A glass half empty Charlton fan -I identify with that. Great summing up of the situation, I hope it is not as grave as we all fear. The issue of the Contracts must be key, I simply have never known the volume of players to be out of contract at the same time. There are clear areas where we appear not to have the strength in depth that is required at this level.