Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New contract for Jordan cousins?

I think the club should give Jordan cousins a new long term contract like joe pig got and nick pope hopefully to fend off interest from clubs like Chelsea and arsenal.

Comments

• Arsenal and Chelsea sniffing around according to Sky Sports. How long ago did he sign a new one?
  • Think he's contracted till june
  • Can't even get in our first 11! Ridiculous!

He has to play as the lad is a talent which Arsenal and Chelsea appear to realise.
  • From what I've seen, he looks fantastic - probably our best young prospect (out of Piggott, Azeez, Pope etc).
  • should be playing more regularly, alongside Jacko. Better bet than Stephens, Pritch, Gower, Hughes, Hollands etc etc.
  • edited September 2013
    like Joe Pigott he's prolly best off not starting , little cameos here and there and we can build him right up into the next greatest thing since slice bread ........
    and then we'll start him and he'll be pony as you like and Charltonised and we can write him off

• Arsenal and Chelsea sign many players. Most of these players won't end up as first team regulars, a few will be loaned to top level teams, some will be loaned to lower level sides, and some will be discarded. Arsenal and Chelsea may appear more glamorous to some, may pay more than Charlton, but they represent a dangerous career move for a young player who could become an established first team regular at 2nd tier club.

I would like to see him play more often and think a contract extension beyond 2014 is in both the club and the player's interest.

• maybe he can ask Carl Jenkinson re a move to Arsenal
  • maybe he can ask Carl Jenkinson re a move to Arsenal

Hope he doesn't...
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree with SheffieldRed Jordan needs to play and will do so with us.

If he went to Arsenal or Chelsea he would probably only be sent out on loan to our level anyway as we can see with Chelsea's Nathaniel Chalobah and Josh Maceachran who seem to be perennial loanees at this level and seem to change clubs every season. Wouldn't Jordan be better served playing consistently ?

Although not a youngster we saw with Gary Borrowdale who stayed and took a good salary at QPR whilst not playing for three seasons how a player's ability can decline if he dosn't play regularly. Had Borrowdale signed permanently for us rather than staying at QPR when we were in L1 he would in my opinion still probably be playing at least at that level rather than reduced to playing for Tonbridge Angels. So he had three years very good earnings followed by no career.
  • For me he should be in the starting 11. Can't understand why powell has not even had him on the bench
  • Richard J said:

I agree with SheffieldRed Jordan needs to play and will do so with us.

If he went to Arsenal or Chelsea he would probably only be sent out on loan to our level anyway as we can see with Chelsea's Nathaniel Chalobah and Josh Maceachran who seem to be perennial loanees at this level and seem to change clubs every season. Wouldn't Jordan be better served playing consistently ?

Although not a youngster we saw with Gary Borrowdale who stayed and took a good salary at QPR whilst not playing for three seasons how a player's ability can decline if he dosn't play regularly. Had Borrowdale signed permanently for us rather than staying at QPR when we were in L1 he would in my opinion still probably be playing at least at that level rather than reduced to playing for Tonbridge Angels. So he had three years very good earnings followed by no career.

Hasn't Borrowdale had a severe injury, hence his drop to Tonbridge?

CP is not giving games or loaning out Cousins so he is right to keep his options open.
  • Don't understand why he isn't getting a game. I know most love Pritchard but to me hes all effort and not much else. Cousins has so much more football in him. Play him and give the lad a contract I say
  • everyone was saying cant see why Joe P aint playing and then when he starts everyone slates him. It will be the same with Cousins. I have enough trust in Powell to know when its right for him to play.
  • Can't believe he's not playing, looks a real talent to me.
  • everyone was saying cant see why Joe P aint playing and then when he starts everyone slates him. It will be the same with Cousins. I have enough trust in Powell to know when its right for him to play.

Pigggot only impressed against lower league opposition though. Didnt do too much in his sub appearances in the championship. Cousins has impressed against better teams. You can use your same example for Solly, Harriott, Shelvey etc.
  • Cousins has looked a cut above Piggott in the first team games he has played. He scored against Barnsley, won the penalty against Oxford and forced Schmeichel into a great point blank save against Leicester.

Great mobility in his game as well - can race ahead of players to get into good positions. Considering he used to be a right back, I expect he can cover a more defensive role too if need be.

Pigggot only impressed against lower league opposition though. Didnt do too much in his sub appearances in the championship. Cousins has impressed against better teams. You can use your same example for Solly, Harriott, Shelvey etc.
    I agree bu the majority on here was talking him up and saying he should be starting and then he has a average game and then people writing him off.
  • edited September 2013
    Pigott wouldn't have got a fraction of the (largely unjustified in my opinion) flak he has this week had the opposition been anyone but Millwall (with the possible exception of Crystal Palace).

The bloke is still a teenager and should not be judged on one match where none of his team mates enhanced their reputations either.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2013
    LenGlover said:

Pigott wouldn't have got a fraction of the (largely unjustified in my opinion) flak he has this week had the opposition been anyone but Millwall (with the possible exception of Crystal Palace).

The bloke is still a teenager and should not be judged on one match where none of his team mates enhanced their reputations either.

I disagree. He showed little else of his game when he came on against Leicester (he held it up once or twice and some were raving about it) and actually didn't do much else against Oxford apart from score a penalty.

Not saying he doesn't try, I'm just not convinced there is high level natural ability there. What is his game exactly? Does he have pace/finishing/heading/strength/link-up play? Powell's decision to promote him to the first team ahead of Azeez, Smith and even Sordell is one of the very few I strongly disagree with from his time here.
  • Let's be honest, if piggott nicked a goal from a sliced shot against millwall people would be saying he's a club legend and the goalscorer we've been looking for, regardless if he played the way he did. Will reserve judgement on piggotts ability for a while yet.

Can't recall too many slating him, more along the lines that he isn't up to it yet
    Whether he will be in the future who can say but imo he needs to go out on loan for the season to a 1st/2nd Div club to get experience.
    Cousins is obviously ready for this league, skillful, good engine & a good head. Stick him in the team along with one of the young wingers, inject some pace & skill into the team. Playing the ball backwards & forwards across the back three/four middle four /five isn't going to win too many games. Lets take the game to the opposition.
  • Rather him than Sideways Stephens. Him Gower and Jackson please, if we play three again
  • Something can't be right. Nick pope getting a contract before jordan cousins. Him not being in the matchday squad is a worrying factor.

Youngsters have their heads turned so quickly by big teams

Pigott was quality against Leicester. The entire team were awful against Millwall - not just Pigott. What was he supposed to do with zero service?
  • While it's not everything, international recognition is at least an independent judgement of a player

Cousins has more than 30 England youth caps at the various levels
    Pigott has 0 England youth caps
  • Something can't be right. Nick pope getting a contract before jordan cousins. Him not being in the matchday squad is a worrying factor.

Youngsters have their heads turned so quickly by big teams

Which match day squad wasn't he in? Was on the bench v Millwall.
  • I agree with the comments that JC should be signed on a longer contract ,prob 4 years, and given a chance in the first team as and when CP deems fit.

Personally I'd play him more away from home at the moment, so he's out of the spotlight , and if he does misplace a pass or make a mistake , the crowd at the Valley doesn't get on his back, which can happen.
  • one or two bad games and he is out of depth would be said, Sign him up and play the lad as he too is good enough but god forbid him have a few off days there are fans here not worthy of such players