Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Azeez to the Gulls

I see Azeez has gone on loan to Torquay, hope he takes this opportunity and comes back a better player

Comments

• And Pope's gone to Aldershot as well
  • Genuinely think Azeez should be around the first team ahead of Pigott.
  • cafctom said:

Genuinely think Azeez should be around the first team ahead of Pigott.

Has looked a typical raw pacey striker when I've seen him, lacking an all round game. Pigott seems to be the more natural goalscorer.

But then he has pace, something Pigott doesn't have.
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

You wouldn't be saying that if you went to the U21's last season or this.

• He seems to be The Forgotten Man.

Seemed to be doing well (even allowing for the hyperbole that builds up any of our youngsters who can actually walk in a straight line as the next Messi) until his injury so let's hope this move gets him back on track.

Pace is a valuable commodity and something we largely lack.
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Well I've seen Piggott play in the first team a number of times this season and am convinced that he is either not ready or not good enough for what we require in a match day squad.

All this talk about how good a goalscorer Piggott is. Apart from his penalty against Oxford, he hasn't looked likely to get a sniff of goal in any other game. If he does get on the ball, it looks like it is hard work for him to keep it under control, let alone get a shot away.

And what happens in the U21s counts for precisely sod all.
  • LenGlover said:

He seems to be The Forgotten Man.

Lisbie-type speed? Pace is only valuable if it leads to goals. Lisbie had buckets of speed but sadly lacked a final shot.
  • edited September 2013

LenGlover said:

He seems to be The Forgotten Man.

Lisbie-type speed? Pace is only valuable if it leads to goals. Lisbie had buckets of speed but sadly lacked a final shot.
    Going through the best goals to games ratio of his career since he 'slowed down' in his thirties with 34 in 73 appearances for the O's.
  • Good luck to Azeez
    Pigott will be a good player. The best thing for him would be to go on loan to a club which plays passing football on the ground, which is what the under-21's always played under Nathan Jones. The long-ball style of the first team is not what he's used to.
  • Whatever happened to Tamar Tuna?
  • Sponsored links:

• Oakster said:

Whatever happened to Tamar Tuna?

He got canned.
  • My missus is from down there and her old man is hardcore Torquay, due to be going down there in a couple of weeks so hopefully Azeez will be playing when I see them
  • I was speaking to my mates younger brother the other day who has played with Azeez and Pigott when they were at school age.

He never rated Pigott but he always thought Azeez would make it, although Pigott does seem to have kicked on in the last 18 months.

Just thought i would chuck it out there...
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Well I've seen Piggott play in the first team a number of times this season and am convinced that he is either not ready or not good enough for what we require in a match day squad.

All this talk about how good a goalscorer Piggott is. Apart from his penalty against Oxford, he hasn't looked likely to get a sniff of goal in any other game. If he does get on the ball, it looks like it is hard work for him to keep it under control, let alone get a shot away.

On that basis how do you rate Azeez higher than Pigott? Ade played 15 mins v Hudders in the cup in January and that's it.

Nathan Jones who has worked with Defoe and many others stated Pigott was the best finisher he had ever seen. I repeat earlier posts this guy gets all sorts of goals and will be a massive player for us if fans get behind him rather than knock with no knowledge.

Powell on the pre Burnley interview says he is very much in his plans so again someone itk rates him higher than Azeez.
  • edited September 2013
    I like Piggott too. One tough game in a local derby doesn't make him a bad prospect. Young players are not the finished article and they get better, not worse.

Good luck to Azeez at Torquay. Let's hope he gets to start games rather than just 10 mins here and there.
  • The point with Joe is that you have to give him the ball in the right area. If you do that he will score goals like he did at Welling. He made two daft mistakes against Millwall, one in the right back position and one in the left mid position. It's back to tactics, which our coaches seem to think are little white mints !
  • Scored on his debut
  • Scored on his debut

Pmsl blaaady typical!
  • Whatever we do plays into other clubs hands not our own. ffs
  • Scored on his debut

Great for the lad, hope he goes on a goal scoring run
  • Sponsored links:

• His goal came in the 58th minute - 4 minutes after coming on as sub!
  • An excellent goal too. Held off and rolled a defender on the touchline, played a one-two and finished with aplomb.
  • Yes, what an excellent goal. It might be League 2, but it really was a class goal.
  • Nice goal. Watched the highlights on Torquay Player (you can use your CAFC Player login), he was involved in a move before his goal and had another chance himself later on which he put wide.

Hopefully he will start their next game http://www.torquayunited.com/news/article/impressive-debut-1085324.aspx
  • "A player i believe will play in premiership and for England. A pleasure to watch a star of the future"

High praise indeed!
  • Unusual to hear opposing fans lavish so much praise on a player. Clearly made an impact.

I've no idea who is better out of Azeez and Pigott but I hope at least one of them makes it with us and bangs 'em in, if not both of them.
  • Friend of mine who regularly goes to watch youth games thinks that 'Azeez, Sho Silva and Piggott could all feature in the Charlton team if they are coached properly. All have very natural elements to their games, it's about toning them into rounded pros at this point' - not my words.
  • edited September 2013

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

On that basis how do you rate Azeez higher than Pigott? Ade played 15 mins v Hudders in the cup in January and that's it.

Nathan Jones who has worked with Defoe and many others stated Pigott was the best finisher he had ever seen. I repeat earlier posts this guy gets all sorts of goals and will be a massive player for us if fans get behind him rather than knock with no knowledge.

Powell on the pre Burnley interview says he is very much in his plans so again someone itk rates him higher than Azeez.
    I rate him higher than Piggott on the basis that he has a natural talent (speed and athleticism) which is lacking in our squad and would therefore be a more logical fit than Piggot.

I've heard that apparently Piggot has good finishing ability in front of goal, though I personally don't think that is a major problem for our current set of players. Yann, Church, Jackson, Sordell are all proven finishers. Piggot, from what I've seen with my own two eyes, doesn't look as though he offers much more of a threat in other areas of his game.

• Let's not get too carried away and remember Azeez got halled off after 45 minutes on his Orient debut and was returned to us early because of hamstring issues. I understand that this is why he fell below Piggot in his development.

If Azeez and Smith can learn their trade and continue to do well in their loan spells then this might be like having a couple of new signings in the second half of the season.