Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Smith - progress at Rotherham (p18)

edited November 2021 in General Charlton
One of my sister's client is a Wombles fan. He said you will be having him back soon, he is far to good for us.
His stats seem okay, five league goals in nine appearances. I think CP made reference before his loan move, that this is his big chance and he needs to take it.
With a lot of the big strikers they do seem to develop at a slower rate. With that in mind I wonder, whether we have the resources or the time to wait a bit longer if needed.

Comments

• I rate him. I think he is better than Piggy. I'm sure I'll get shot down for saying that, but it is my opinion.
  • These are desperate times, call him back and give him a couple of starts.
  • At this moment in time he'd seem a better option for us than Pigott
  • Didn't someone previously say that we can't recall him?
  • I rate him. I think he is better than Piggy. I'm sure I'll get shot down for saying that, but it is my opinion.

Not sure you'll get shot down. Piggy is a youth player with a lot to learn as is Smith they will both develop and have yet to settle at their natural level. I hope that Piggy has not been hit too hard by the realities of the Championship.

• He has made zero impact whenever he has been involved with the 1st team. He is playing two leagues below in a side doing reasonably well. If anyone thinks he will come back to us and be our saviour they are crazy.

If we dump him in it will be the same as for all our other forwards. No service, no chances and very few goals.
  • Look forward to him breaking into our team, but lets not be writing off Piggy yet, please.
  • I wouldn't be too hasty calling him back, bringing him back just to sit on the bench won't do his development any good.

He's playing in League Two remember, next you'll be wanting him and Azeez up top together.
  • Great let's get him back, stick him in the first team and when he fails to score we can Charltonise him.
  • Saw him against orient. That was a better performance than anything i have seen from piggy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was surprised that we sent Smith out on loan ahead of Piggot really considering Smith is 2-3 years older and probably needs to get in or around the first team now if he's ever going to make it with us.
  • Never a good thing to write anybody off. Piggot has looked like he has a bit to learn before he is ready, but the experience could be a positive for his development. Smith might be worth considering if we are short of options, but he would probably benefit from a League One move now.
  • We need cover for Yann and he's more of a target man than Pigott. We'll look a much better team and create more chances with a striker holding up the ball and competing in the air.

But is he good enough and can we even recall him? We gave Pigott a chance, think Smith is at least at the same level.

He has made zero impact whenever he has been involved with the 1st team. He is playing two leagues below in a side doing reasonably well. If anyone thinks he will come back to us and be our saviour they are crazy.

If we dump him in it will be the same as for all our other forwards. No service, no chances and very few goals.

Zero impact? He's made two appearances. In his debut he came off the bench with a few minutes to go and got an assist. Did ok v Orient in his first start. Since then he's got more experience out on loan.
  • I don't think anyone is writing Piggy off. I think we was woefully found out against Millwall, but I'm sure he will come good. Not every player makes an immediate impact. A few more games and maybe a short loan spell at a L1 or L2 club and we'll see some progression.
  • If the relationship between Powell and Jimenez ever irrevocably breaks down then Michael Smith will be the poster child.

Signed for a fee, he has been paid 25 months wages (excluding any offset from his loan moves) and made two fleeting Cup appearances against lower league opposition.

Meanwhile four transfer windows have opened and shut, and the club (presumably encouraged by Powell) haven't moved him on. Then when an injury leaves us down to two recognised strikers (neither of whom are target men), he remains on loan and isn't recalled.
  • Though Smith looked quality on the pre-season tour last year. Didnt we beat Sporting Lisbon??

You're meant to conclude your message with: "Ducks for cover." Neither Smith nor Pigott strike me as being agile or mobile enough for a strong Championship side. So they may serve us well in League One next season.

Ducks for cover.

• bring him back .. he's needed in SE7, not Wimbleland
  • I am stunned he's away while Pig is at play.

SURELY Smith is the most Kerm-like we've got on the books
  • He tweeted earlier that he'll be back at the valley tonight - presumably to watch?
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc-west said:

He tweeted earlier that he'll be back at the valley tonight - presumably to watch?

get him in the team .. our 'strikers' right now make powder puffs look dangerous
  • To be fair, I like Pigott, but Smith should probably be ahead of him in the pecking order here. Maybe he'll come back and Pigott will go out on loan.
  • Have not seen enough of either to make an informed decision (like most posters on this thread I should imagine!)
  • They played together very effectively for the under-21's.
  • There is a decent actor/luvvie named Tim Pigott-Smith .. are the two words made for one another ??
  • There is a decent actor/luvvie named Tim Pigott-Smith .. are the two words made for one another ??

Ha ha, good one. They did link up well for the U21's last year.

• With Church being in doubt for Saturday after going off injured last night, surely time to recall him?

Or risk only having 2 fit strikers for Blackpool?
  • Just scored for AFC again, looks in good form, nice to see.
  • Sat on his and Bradley Pritchard's table at the shirt sponsors dinner. He told me that he knew the coming season was make or break for him and that he needed to push on from where he was. He seems quite level headed - was pretty clear that he was likely to be loaned to L1 or L2 but also that he would need to score some goals whilst out on loan.
    I'm happy to see he's managing that. He's a good lad.
  • I hope he gets a chance when he comes back in jan