Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Charlton "experience" - help required

I have a question I am hoping you can help me with. I'm traveling to the Charlton/Leeds game with a work colleague (who supports the dirty northerners but will not be dressed like a full kit wan*ker. ;-) ). It's his first trip to the Valley and we plan on arriving early so he can get the full "Charlton experience".

Can someone please come up with a nice pre-match itinerary which takes in the best local chippies, pubs and anything else of note. Reckon we will arrive at Charlton station around 3 hours before kickoff. Cheers!

Comments

• Valley Cafe for food, Rose of Denmark (!) for drinking, Greenwich Park for a good view and the superstore for overpriced CAFC related goodies
  • Reckon we will arrive at Charlton station around 3 hours before kickoff. Cheers!

Stick around on the platform and jot down some numbers.

• I would genuinely not arrive three hours early in Charlton. If you want to kick off at mid-day I'd go to Greenwich for a couple and something half decent to eat - its in the same borough as Charlton so you can sort of pass it off as part of the "Charlton experience". Jump on a train at about 1.30, takes five mins to Charlton station and then 5 mins up Charlton Church Lane for a pint in Charlton Village at the White Swan or the Bugle (or both, they're next to one another at the top of the lane). After that wander back down Church Lane towards the ground and stop in the Lib, which will charge £2 to get in and maybe meet a couple of Lifers before the game.

The pub scene around Charlton is declining with the closure of the Horse and Groom and more recently the Conservative Club, added to the designation of the AntiGallican as an away only pub.
  • se9addick said:

I would genuinely not arrive three hours early in Charlton. If you want to kick off at mid-day I'd go to Greenwich for a couple and something half decent to eat - its in the same borough as Charlton so you can sort of pass it off as part of the "Charlton experience". Jump on a train at about 1.30, takes five mins to Charlton station and then 5 mins up Charlton Church Lane for a pint in Charlton Village at the White Swan or the Bugle (or both, they're next to one another at the top of the lane). After that wander back down Church Lane towards the ground and stop in the Lib, which will charge £2 to get in and maybe meet a couple of Lifers before the game.

The pub scene around Charlton is declining with the closure of the Horse and Groom and more recently the Conservative Club, added to the designation of the AntiGallican as an away only pub.

Good advice guys. Thanks!
  • edited October 2013
    again , not strictly CAFC, but for newcomers/first time visitors to the area .. a walk around Greenwich Park and the old Royal Observatory with the Greenwich meridian line, the Cutty Sark area, the old Naval Hospital and the Maritime Museum, all close to each other is a must .. one of the most spectacular and interesting areas of London
  • again , not strictly CAFC, but for newcomers/first time visitors to the area .. a walk around Greenwich Park, the Cutty Sark area, the old Naval Hospital and the Maritime Museum, all close to each other is a must .. one of the most spectacular and interesting areas of London

Thanks Lincs. it's been ages since I last visited Greenwich. I look forward to returning.
  • again , not strictly CAFC, but for newcomers/first time visitors to the area .. a walk around Greenwich Park, the Cutty Sark area, the old Naval Hospital and the Maritime Museum, all close to each other is a must .. one of the most spectacular and interesting areas of London

Thanks Lincs. it's been ages since I last visited Greenwich. I look forward to returning.
    enjoy it .. I hope the weather stays OK .. as for me, I just MUST get back to Denmark for a trip, I'll wait for summer though

enjoy it .. I hope the weather stays OK .. as for me, I just MUST get back to Denmark for a trip, I'll wait for summer though
    We'll let me know if you ever make it over to Denmark and I'll take you out for a beer.

We'll let me know if you ever make it over to Denmark and I'll take you out for a beer.
    I'll hold you to that .. cheers ((:>) ..
  • Sponsored links:

• don't forget the thames barrier one of the modern wonders of the world... also the site of my first hand job from a girl from school when I was 14 should put up a blue plaque really.
  • If he is going to sit in the "home" seats with you be careful who you tell on here :-)
  • don't forget the thames barrier one of the modern wonders of the world... also the site of my first hand job from a girl from school when I was 14 should put up a blue plaque really.

So she opened the floodgates?
  • Holy shit @adamaddick, I got a bj from a bird at the swing park by the thames barrier, then went to see us beat Millwall away in the snow that evening. Best day ever! ..... hopefully not the same bird.
  • Holy shit @adamaddick, I got a bj from a bird at the swing park by the thames barrier, then went to see us beat Millwall away in the snow that evening. Best day ever! ..... hopefully not the same bird.

mine was about 1994 so could be fella...

mine was about 1994 so could be fella...

Read that as "..... So could be A fella"
    Need coffee .......

• Heard tonight White Swan closing down on Monday untill new owners are found.

That's only recently been done up.
  • Went passed the WS 30 mins after the game last night and there was only about 12 people in there.
  • They have a temporary manager at the moment, but believe he's had enough already.
  • Sponsored links:

• That's a shame, it looks pretty good since its revamp, hope a new owner can be found.

Closed last night. Anyone know why?
  • Stone said:

Heard tonight White Swan closing down on Monday untill new owners are found.

Closed last night. Anyone know why?
    Weird. Ask a question where you also post the answer.
  • White Swan opened up again last night.

Souds about ideal for Jiminez and Slater.
  • White Swan opened up again last night.

my apologies its tuesday its opening up again.