Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnnie Jackson on contract stuff

Comments

• Options
    Nothing to consider, sign him up....now
  • Options
    Johnnie Jackson is a real hero for me and the last game showed the type of true grit he has within. No-one else in the squad matches him for leadership and character . Sign him asap
  • Options

Johnnie Jackson is a real hero for me and the last game showed the type of true grit he has within. No-one else in the squad matches him for leadership and character . Sign him asap

Says it all for me.

Captain Courageous belongs at Charlton !
  • Options
    He'll be at Charlton next season, unless we get relegated. And that's the risk that makes negotiations with the older, senior players a little difficult.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Club continues to play a waiting game. Moreover, I'm inclined to think that Jackson's obvious wish to stay now makes that more likely.

• Options

I wouldn't be surprised if the Club continues to play a waiting game. Moreover, I'm inclined to think that Jackson's obvious wish to stay now makes that more likely.

That's fine Mundell.

Just hope no one chirps up in future about players / managers being unloyal or greedy.
  • Options
    He is an absolute top fella no question
  • Options

That's fine Mundell.

Just hope no one chirps up in future about players / managers being unloyal or greedy.
    I really hope that Jackson stays, but wouldn't blame him if he decided to accept a better offer elsewhere. I'm hopeful that's unlikely though, especially given his recent comment.

The Club is playing a game of Poker with the player's contracts and has a better hand in the negotiations with some than with others. I hope they play their cards skilfully.

There's clearly some risk involved in all of this, but from the Club's perspective player's contracts have had a habit of starting as assets, but ending up as liabilities. We may not like it and it's almost certain the players don't like it, but in truth, unless you have a bottomless pit of money (and no FFP), this stuff isn't easy from a financial perspective.
  • Options
    He's earned a new contract and he's a big part of the spirit within our club.

Hopefully we will start playing him wide left again as he's delivery is probably better than any of wingers we have.
  • Options
    JJ is a key member of the current squad. I like him. But I have two questions for those who say "sign him up". A new deal is counter productive unless the player finds it attractive, so how much would you spend on this and where is the money coming from? If we were knocking on the door of the play offs perhaps it would be worth rolling the dice, but JJ would not be needed if we ever went up. Much as we would like to live in a fantasy world if our club is to live within it's means it ain't likely to be at Championship level and certainly not above.

I think one could criticise owners for getting involved with us in the first place, and maybe for a few other things, but not being willing to perpetually lump hard cash into a black hole is not a criticism that can logically be levelled at anyone. So, like many clubs as football continues to evolve, we should get used to this sort of contract situation. For every JJ we lose we will need to find someone else's out of contract JJ to come in - on comparable or lower wages. This will be a key managerial skill at our level together with getting the absolute maximum from the players at our disposal. The one person it does make sense to sign therefore is CP because you always need a manager and any equivalent replacement is very likely to be more expensive.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Give him a year. If he reaches a certain amount of games then that automatically activates another year. If not they sit down and talk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JJ is a key member of the current squad. I like him. But I have two questions for those who say "sign him up". A new deal is counter productive unless the player finds it attractive, so how much would you spend on this and where is the money coming from? If we were knocking on the door of the play offs perhaps it would be worth rolling the dice, but JJ would not be needed if we ever went up. Much as we would like to live in a fantasy world if our club is to live within it's means it ain't likely to be at Championship level and certainly not above.

I think one could criticise owners for getting involved with us in the first place, and maybe for a few other things, but not being willing to perpetually lump hard cash into a black hole is not a criticism that can logically be levelled at anyone. So, like many clubs as football continues to evolve, we should get used to this sort of contract situation. For every JJ we lose we will need to find someone else's out of contract JJ to come in - on comparable or lower wages. This will be a key managerial skill at our level together with getting the absolute maximum from the players at our disposal. The one person it does make sense to sign therefore is CP because you always need a manager and any equivalent replacement is very likely to be more expensive.

At the level we are at or below there is a weakness in every player. If there was not they wouldn't be playing for us. In Jacko's case it's his pace (or lack of it).

Given that premise you then look for players that "fit" your club and playing style. Jackson has been an integral part of our's for 3 or 4 seasons on and off the pitch and, given that pace is not an integral part of his game, should be able to cope at Championship level or below for at least another season and probably two.

What other midfielder (or striker come to that!) do we have with an eye for goal and the ability to be mostly clinical in his finishing? In other words he offers attributes that are not easy to replace and for that reason we should sign him up now in my opinion.

I do very much agree with you regarding signing Chris Powell up as a priority.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

At the level we are at or below there is a weakness in every player. If there was not they wouldn't be playing for us. In Jacko's case it's his pace (or lack of it).

Given that premise you then look for players that "fit" your club and playing style. Jackson has been an integral part of our's for 3 or 4 seasons on and off the pitch and, given that pace is not an integral part of his game, should be able to cope at Championship level or below for at least another season and probably two.

What other midfielder (or striker come to that!) do we have with an eye for goal and the ability to be mostly clinical in his finishing? In other words he offers attributes that are not easy to replace and for that reason we should sign him up now in my opinion.

I do very much agree with you regarding signing Chris Powell up as a priority.
    ..... but what do you then do if we get relegated? It's important to think positively, but you can't ignore the downside.

Last time we fell into Division One the "Championship contracts" of three players, Racon, Semedo and Youga, were a crippling liability. The Club couldn't afford their wages, but wasn't able to unload. Imagine having 6-8 players in that position.

There's a very hard balance to strike between keeping the players you want and operating in a financially prudent way. Add to this the possibility that wages in the Championship are likely to decline and it's not surprising that the Club is being cautious - except with young players who, presumably, are relatively cheap and have future transfer value.
  • Options
    perhaps a relegation clause?
  • Options
    from @Sparrowhawk

Charlton Athletic midfielder Johnnie Jackson is hopeful of earning a new contract at The Valley, with his current deal to expire at the end of the season.

http://twentyfour7football.com/jackson-hopeful-over-new-addicks-deal-20762
  • Options
    My view is, there is little danger of him being chased by another club, and also little danger of Charlton not renewing his contract. He should definitely be with us next season, and it would be madness not to pen a deal.

Having said that, the club has no reason to rush. Lets just hope it gets done fairly soon, along with the others.
  • Options
    Another article from them on JJ, apologies if posted elsewhere: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-skipper-johnnie-jackson-preparing-for-life-after-football-8956346.html

Basically after the new year he'll be taking his coaching badges and would like to eventually coach with us, with a longer-term aim of being a manager.
  • Options
    I can see it now. Johnnie being CAFC manager in the Greenwich Astrodome for the 2020/2021 season
  • Options
    @Transfer_News24: Leeds & Bolton are interested in Charlton midfielder Johnnie Jackson. #lufc #bwfc #cafc”
  • Options

@Transfer_News24: Leeds & Bolton are interested in Charlton midfielder Johnnie Jackson. #lufc #bwfc #cafc”

I'd be surprised if true. I would put JJ as lower Championship, upper Div 1 player and not someone that Leeds or Bolton would consider to be able to help them push on to the Championship. Bolton another North West Club, maybe his agent is the same as Yanns.

• Options
    Kap10 said:

I'd be surprised if this is true. I would put JJ as lower Championship, upper Div 1 player and not someone that Leeds or Bolton would consider to be able to help them push on to the Championship. Bolton another North West Club, maybe his agent is the same as Yanns.

I also can't see this happening.

Remember JJ joined us on a reduced wage and a free from Notts County because he wanted to settle back in the south east,I can't see him wanting to uproot his family at this stage of his career.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are going to see this a lot in the next month or so. Agents and clubs know the situation regarding our out of Contract players. If things stay the same the vultures will be circling trying to pick up the likes of Wiggins and Kermy.

Roll on the Takeover.
  • Options
    It's a tough one this. The heart says we should offer him a new contract for all the reasons given. I do wonder how many more years he has left at Championship level. Negative as it sounds, if we are relegated, he could be the right player to get us back up. We, of course, aren't privy to his real fitness levels and how many games we can expect to get out of him in 2014-15. It's very difficult when you have a loyal servant who represents all the best things about the club coming to the end of his career. Indeed, it is rather refreshing in these times. I hope he gets a one year contract just for some stability, but those that hold the purse strings may not consider this money well spent.
  • Options

It's a tough one this. The heart says we should offer him a new contract for all the reasons given. I do wonder how many more years he has left at Championship level. Negative as it sounds, if we are relegated, he could be the right player to get us back up. We, of course, aren't privy to his real fitness levels and how many games we can expect to get out of him in 2014-15. It's very difficult when you have a loyal servant who represents all the best things about the club coming to the end of his career. Indeed, it is rather refreshing in these times. I hope he gets a one year contract just for some stability, but those that hold the purse strings may not consider this money well spent.

If they don't, they're daft
  • Options
    Our players who are out of contract in June can sign a pre-contract agreement with a team outside of England on January 1st right ?
  • Options
    I think so.

So Celtic might be after Kerm again
  • Options
    Yep, or perhaps a team back home
  • Options

So Celtic might be after Kerm again

I doubt anyone will be in for him unless he gets fit and starts performing......
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    These look like stories planted by agents and to be fair you can't Blame them for doing it. Contracts have to be sorted yesterday.
  • Options
    Interestingly, I read an article where the Millwall chairman is going to let contracts run out in the summer because he feels that the club will be able to re-sign them for less wages than they are on now. This could work with average players but not ones which are good and it unsettles the players as well.