Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sign Wiggins up pls...

Comments

• Options
    powell and kermo first please..
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking that all the players that are out of contract in the summer, can start talking to other clubs in Jan.
  • Options

Am I right in thinking that all the players that are out of contract in the summer, can start talking to other clubs in Jan.

I think they can sign pre-contracts with teams outside of England on Jan 1st
  • Options

powell and kermo first please..

My order - 1/ Powell 2 Wiggins 3/ Kerm, need em all

• Options

That's what I believe too.

Wikipedia (ever reliable) says.....
    "With six months or less remaining on an existing contract for players aged 23 or older, they are free to negotiate with other clubs and sign a pre-contract agreement"
  • Options
    It's fricking unbelievable.
  • Options
    They can only speak to non English clubs from Jan 1st.
  • Options

That's what I believe too.

Wikipedia (ever reliable) says.....
    "With six months or less remaining on an existing contract for players aged 23 or older, they are free to negotiate with other clubs and sign a pre-contract agreement"
    Really ? Even with English clubs ?
  • Options
    I believe they can talk to anyone English or Non English
  • Options

I believe they can talk to anyone English or Non English

Nope, they can only speak to English clubs once they have less than one month left.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think their agents will be speaking to clubs now, includng Charlton, whether they are allowed to or not.

Tis the way of the world and I'm sure Charlton do the same.

Hope we get him signed up ASAP as playing as well as he has
  • Options
    That's for sure
  • Options
    In order:

Wiggins,
    Kermy,
    Morrow,
    Powell,
    Stephens,

The rest can wait till summer probably.

Powell only lower on priority as i see him as always resigning if the better players have already signed.
  • Options

In order:

Wiggins,
    Kermy,
    Morrow,
    Powell,
    Stephens,

The rest can wait till summer probably.

Powell only lower on priority as i see him as always resigning if the better players have already signed.

This! Of all the players aged 23-30 we need to keep these and IMHO Dervite
    I heard it reported from Eltham Addicks that Kermorgant triggers a one year extension once he plays x games
    If CAFC can sign Wiggins and Stephens early then we have the basis of a decent squad next season - assuming Kermorgant takes up the option of course.

• Options
    Meh about Wiggins doesn't attack often enough isn't hitting the heights of 2 seasons ago
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Meh about Wiggins doesn't attack often enough isn't hitting the heights of 2 seasons ago

You mean in a division lower ?

• Options

sam3110 said:

You mean in a division lower ?

Yep, good players (Jackson, Solly, Kermorgant) push on, average players (Wiggins, Hollands, Wright-Phillips) don't, imo he hasn't pushed on and he is pretty expendable compared with other positions

• Options
    That's the beauty of opinions. What's for sure is that within the club wiggins is seen as one if our most important players.
  • Options
    Wiggins now fully fit is a very competent championship standard player. If we allow him to leave for nothing it will be nothing short of criminal.
  • Options
    Thought he was excellent attacking-wise today. Some odd/strange defensive moments though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is there a better player at left back currently at the club?

Are there better left backs that we can pick up for free?

I think the answer to both is 'no' so we need to sign him up.
  • Options
    To be honest, I don't think he has played well at all this season. He was awful first half yesterday but reminded us of what he is capable of as an attacking force in the second.
  • Options
    This is by no means an attack on Cameron Stewart but it would be interesting to see what Wiggins would be like if he almost had Solly's luxury of having a Wilson type player in front of him i.e. someone who likes going forward yet if Wiggins wants to attack he knows that the guy in front of him can adequately cover his Left-Back slot... I certainly believe this is one reason why we dont see Wiggins attacking and trying to get to the bi-line more often.

I guess from writing this Cedric Evina could be an ideal player to fill that role and looked quite good there in his cameo yesterday, I know as well he played Left-Mid against Reading and I know it was against stronger opposition that day but how did he do that day?
  • Options
    IMO it needs to be wiggins and Stephens as priority
  • Options
    Not sure what some people watch. Wiggins is a top player and one of the best left backs in the division.
  • Options
    At the risk of repeating myself I believe that all these players (with the exception of Stevens who I believe wants to return North) will find that what they are offered to stay with us will be both as good as they can get elsewhere and less than their Agents have promised them they are worth.

Just because they can talk to other clubs doesn't mean that other clubs will make them decent offers. I, genuinely, doubt that any of our players with contacts coming to an end this summer will be able to tempt a Premier League club and just about every other club in the country is virtually insolvent. With FFP around the corner clubs can't afford to agree big, long, contracts - especially when they don't know what else will be available in the summer. Both Dervite and Evina agreed one year deals to stay last summer, I would imagine that most of that list will do the same in June or July.

Richard Murray said at Bromley that the tactic is to invite the players to speak to other clubs and then come back to let us know what they have been offered. The impression I got was that some players (or their agents) believe that they can ask for what ever they want and, in reality, the market will determine what they are worth. This way, as Richard explained, we don't insult the players with what we are going to pay and force them to say something that they can't take back. When they realise what they are worth they will, probably, be happy to stay with us for that, opposed to flatly refusing our offer and then having too much pride to come back and ask us if they can stay, after all.
  • Options
    Or perhaps some will decide to depart leaving us to replace them. In some cases easy and others not. Do you really want Yann, Wiggins,Morrison, Wood, Hamer all walking ? It's a very risky strategy and just because Murray says its sensible doesn't make it right.
  • Options
    No, but Wood chose us over any alternative last summer and Yann, apparently, turned down a pay rise to stay with us the summer before.

The risk SHG is that if clubs are going to fall into the trap of allowing Agents to threaten them to keep increasing players wages every year then the debts will continue to grow and administration will be inevitable for most clubs.

This is exactly why FFP was brought in. The truth is that as much as we want to secure the players, if we offer them too much then we will have a transfer embargo slapped on us and then we will be unable to sign any players at all.

At some point those running football have got to stop paying these players so much money. The clubs can't afford it and the players, and their agents, already live like Kings. If every club is forced to reduce their wage bill then there will be many alternatives available. However, as much as I agree with you that it is a risky strategy, the club just can't afford to have a different one. Either the players stay or they leave but, for certain, the club needs to get control of the wage bill and that isn't going to happen by letting the players and their agents decide what we pay them.

The alternative, I suspect, is that we will all have to pay significantly more for our tickets. If I had to agree to pay an extra £1,000 a season to watch Charlton play in order for these players to have three £50k cars rather than two then I would decide to let them leave. Asking someone else to pick up the bill is not realistic, and in the absence of the money the players can't have it!
  • Options
    I do take your point KHA but not talking to players that you would prefer to keep is surely madness. I fully believe that Yann for example would sign on the same wages as now but of course we don't know because we haven't discussed it with him. I believe the scenario works for your fringe players but can't see it being very sensible for the key players.
  • Options
    Do we know that none of them, or their agents, have been approached. It may be that they are all aware that we will match any genuine offer they get elsewhere in which case they may all have been signed up by the end of January.

However, we also need to remember that we can't risk giving them Championship deals if we are going to be relegated. Most of the players you are talking about were signed on League One money with a pay rise on promotion. I suspect that they would refuse to accept a contract with a pay cut on relegation now. I wouldn't want a Championship wage bill in League One again.