Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What's happened to 'Valley Floyd Road'?

Don't think I heard it once yesterday.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Comments

• it's become effort as we do sing it so quick. Also, by the time it spreads round the North at home, the lot that started it have finished.

Usually gets a much better airing at away days.
  • I have given up singing most of the songs now as they are sung way to fast now. Dont think i am the only one that think the same now.
  • The bouncy bouncy has also gone missing. Too much of that since I was young shite!
  • I sit about 6/7 rows in front of the drummer and on Thursday Bouncy Bouncy happened once and VFR was sung once maybe twice
  • Its been knocked off the number one spot by the Lawrie Wilson song, pop pickers.
  • edited December 2013
  • Muppets
  • Fingers crossed VFR will disappear for ever. A dreary, soft,dirge that does not belong in a football ground. It should be chants, loud, proud ones and if you have to sing songs they should be sung very fast. Then maybe one day we may create an aggressive, uncompromising atmosphere rather than be seen as a cosy little place for teams to come and pick up points.
    Before anyone accuses me of fishing, I've been saying this on Charlton forums for as long as on-line forums have existed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

Fingers crossed VFR will disappear for ever. A dreary, soft,dirge that does not belong in a football ground. It should be chants, loud, proud ones and if you have to sing songs they should be sung very fast. Then maybe one day we may create an aggressive, uncompromising atmosphere rather than be seen as a cosy little place for teams to come and pick up points.
    Before anyone accuses me of fishing, I've been saying this on Charlton forums for as long as on-line forums have existed.

Ay? Singing fast means an aggressive and uncompromising atmosphere?

For my reckoning we get too much of this "have you heard what such & such sang? We should do a Charlton version".

• Valley Floyd Road
    The most rolling in from the Thames
    Etc etc etc

I love my club and I love it's history.

Now, I don't sit in the north upper so I don't dare to judge but please please please can we have this from kick off tomorrow.

Yours sincerely

Bhr
  • Riviera said:

You've been fishing on Charlton forums for as long as on-line forums have existed! :-D

• Really? And who are you? Never seen you before.

VFR is plagiarism at best and embarrassing at worst. I still remember, and cringe when I do, the awful record that was made and all those fat people in their brushed denim jeans and replica shirts standing on the pitch singing it and the even more pointless other verses one match in the early 21stC.
    Football is about short sharp chants or songs, sung quickly and loud. Not flaming ballads!
  • Riviera said:

Fingers crossed VFR will disappear for ever. A dreary, soft,dirge that does not belong in a football ground. It should be chants, loud, proud ones and if you have to sing songs they should be sung very fast. Then maybe one day we may create an aggressive, uncompromising atmosphere rather than be seen as a cosy little place for teams to come and pick up points.

Must say I agree with this. Not exactly rousing is it.
  • Away from home it sounds quality. The video from Fulham in the FA Cup proves that, so not quite sure it's 'embarrassing'

Getting banned from a Charlton website and then coming back under a different name, now that's embarrassing.
  • Ban um all the Muppets
    Though their life must be pretty sad to want to register
    On here just to try n cause trouble?
    Banters one thing !
    Posting like à knob is another!
  • Riviera said:

Does not mean you are not looking to wind people up though, Riv. I enjoyed singing the song on the pitch and the disabled fans enjoyed the money raised for their transport. Didn't anyone ask you to join in, you bitter old man?
  • uote class="Quote" rel="Riviera">Really? And who are you? Never seen you before.

VFR is plagiarism at best and embarrassing at worst. I still remember, and cringe when I do, the awful record that was made and all those fat people in their brushed denim jeans and replica shirts standing on the pitch singing it and the even more pointless other verses one match in the early 21stC.
    Football is about short sharp chants or songs, sung quickly and loud. Not flaming ballads!

You idiot.
  • edited December 2013
    Our best chant by a mile.

I wish the kids would sing hoist the addicts flag instead of since I was young.

Claiming football is about fast chants instead of ballads is ridiculous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just don't get wot is wrong with vfr
  • Riviera said:

Really? And who are you? Never seen you before.

It's nice to know you're here!

• The worst part of the song is the polite round of applause that happens after.
  • If circumstances suit the chorus from 'ca plain pour moi' lends itself, especially with the slightly quirky ooo eeeee ooooo eeee bit in the middle. Would be a good chant to accompany a pogo.
  • edited December 2013
    Riviera said:

Really? And who are you? Never seen you before.

many would disagree.

"you'll never walk alone" seems pretty popular across the globe.

the irish singing the fields of athenry is a highlight to many during the European cup.

spurs/stoke/saints - all sing slow versions of saints marching in.

and there is more examples where slow, sometimes corny, but emotional songs are sung at football and are some of the best songs sang by fans.

but if you think Red Army is the way to go then fine.
  • cafc cafc cafc cafc cafc cafc cafc
  • Agree at some level. Much as i love VFR i do find some of our chants uninspiring. It would be great to have one that really gets the hairs on the back of your necks standing. I'm not saying we should be going for a 'You're gonna get your f'ing heads kicked in' ala Leeds in 80's, but a really enthusiastic angry chant does come in useful when the pressure is on.
    In the promo season i can remember so many away games, (night game at Peterborough on the terrace springs to mind) and singing 'Top of the League,' and 'Chrissy Powell's Red Army' for what seemed like an eternity even at 0-2. I know when the team on the pitch are giving something to cheer about it makes it easier, but sometimes the chants are able to lift the team.