Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ipswich Town v Charlton Ath|1 Jan 2014|League|Preview, Views, Line Ups **Half Year Review**

edited December 2013 in General Charlton
The Half Year Review

"So this is Christmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun"

The home draw with Sheffield United's lesser neighbours marked the half way point in the season. 23 games in and the Addicks sit on 23 points, 3 places and four points above the relegation zone. Given performances, especially at home, few could claim that this was an unfair reflection. And ultimately the table doesn't lie. You are where you are for a reason. A point a game wasn't enough to stay up last season (Barnsley grabbed 21st with 55 points) or the year before that (Barnsley again with 48). That was the lowest total to secure survival since what is still really division 2 was rebranded "the Championship". So either this is going to be a record breaking low or we need to do better in the second half of the campaign than we did in the first.

There are mitigating circumstances of course, just as there are at every club. "If only we had sacked Chris Powell and got in a manager who know something, anything about tactics, team selection or substitutions we'd be top half at least." some have said and still say. Not that that is what we at Preview Towers think of CP. The suggestion that sacking CP would be the cure all for all our woes is just guess work and wishful thinking. Other boards decided to make a change. Barnsley, Doncaster, Wednesday and very recently Millwall. All still sit below Charlton. So maybe the manager isn't the whole story.

We have been missing some key players such as Solly and Kermorgant. Yann and Wiggins took a while to get fully fit and back to their best but we saw v Brighton what a difference all three make. Richard Wood is another player whose absence weakened what is a threadbare squad. You only need to look at the benches for recent games to see that there is really no back up to the first 14 or so players.

On the plus side "Ann-ick", like Wood, has proved a shrewd free transfer and must be considered at least level with Hamer now as first choice for the gloves. Stephens has found some of the form that made him a target for Villa.. Some of the credit for that must go to Powell for sticking with Dale but a big slice must go to Jordan Cousins. Still young, still not the finished article so it is scary to think just how good he could be with a couple of seasons under his belt. The worry, as always in SE7, is will those seasons be in a Charlton shirt?

Harriot hasn't made the impact that he did at the end of last season and is now injured while Andy Hughes, so influential in steadying in the team during our great run to 9th, has perhaps gone on a season too long. The same could also be said for Mark Gower. But players have been written off before and come back. Johnnie Jackson seems to have been dismissed as "past it" every few months but like an old heavyweight he gets back up and carries on swinging, albeit rather slowly.

Every team in the division, top, bottom or middle will be looking to add that extra ingredient that will lift them up the table. For some it will be yet another expensive striker or a new all powerful, tactically brilliant, motivationally wonderful manager who comes very cheap and is, inexplicably given his huge talents, currently unemployed.

For Charlton the need goes a lot deeper. We all know what is needed to take this club forward. They may be Belgian, they may be American but they ain't the current lot. Sort that and we have a chance of sorting everything else.

Happy New Year

The Opposition

It seems like only a few weeks since we played Ipswich Town at home and that is because it is. 30th November we lost 1 - 0 to an early Tommy Smith goal and the Town haven't looked back. Unbeaten in the league since they are now in the play-off places. But going into that game we were on a good roll and just three points behind then 13th placed Ipswich. How things can change in a month.

Their team has changed little but McGoldrick and Murphy having been getting the goals. Former Addick Frank Nouble has been starting games and will no doubt be pleased to meet up again with Michael Morrison after their flare up at the valley.

Like a lot of teams in this division Ipswich are hard-working and efficient rather than spectacular but they get the job done, especially at home. Anything we can get from this game will be a positive.

The Line Up

Chris Powell must have kicked a black cat under a ladder into a mirror last week. Having finally found a settled and winning side he loses both full backs. His problems weren't helped by what even before the game seemed the odd decision to break up the Cousins/Stephens partnership in centre midfield. Assuming Wiggins isn't doing the afternoon feeds or nappy changes and Solly's knee has had enough rest the same team that faced Brighton would appear the obvious choice.

With any take over not likely to have gone through until after the game we don't expect to see any new faces other than perhaps Michael Smith replacing homeward bound Marvin "what's going on?" Sordell on the bench. Dom Dwyer's status and availability isn't clear but he has been training with the squad so if a deal is done ASAP he could feature but don't be disappointed if it isn't.

The Prediction

The Jimenez/Slater/Cash Era comes to an end with a 0 - 0 draw

Le roi est mort, vive le roi

Comments

• To start off the discussion I dont believe that Dwyer will feature regardless if he signs - Could see him thrown in at Oxford or an U21 friendly before we see him in the League, will be pretty disappointed if Michael Smith isnt in the matchday squad yet can see him replacing Pigott on the bench rather than Sordell
  • Take a point but I think it will be too big an ask and Ipswich run out comfortable winners 2-0 and Woods record of being undefeated for Charlton when he completes the full 90 mins goes ....... Unless Powell takes him off late on to bring Sordell on To go for it :-)
  • edited December 2013
    The big question is whether Wiggins and Solly will be fit for this one. I think the answer to this will have a bearing on the result.
  • The big question is whether Wiggins and Solly will be fit for this one.

Wiggins wasn't unfit for the last game
  • The big question is whether Wiggins and Solly will be fit for this one. I think the answer to this will have a bearing on the result.

Wiggins is fit, but might be on nappy changing duty :)
  • Despite the reportedly terrible game on Sunday, we have gained 5 points so far from the holiday games. I expected 6 from the entire programme and still expect we can get something from the Ipswich game.
    Powell needs to revert to the side which played well at Bolton and beat Brighton. I hope he has the 'courage' and practical, tactical sense to leave Jackson out and that Wiggins has recovered sufficiently from the rigours of new fatherhood and can return to do the job for which he is well paid. We need Solly back as well so that sharpshooter Wilson can return to the midfield. Let's hope that Wilson's new found scoring flair will prove to be as productive in the long term as was Jackson's

Ipswich Town 1 v CAFC 1
  • edited December 2013
    Keep mcgoldrick quiet and we can get something here. CB's need to be on the top of their game
  • I'll be at this one. Both teams have been doing well last few games.

2-2
  • Yes, I can see a draw - setting us up nicely for the home game with Barnsley!
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll be there, my first visit to Ipswich since the playoffs in '98. I reckon a battling defeat, 2-1 to Ipswich.
  • Can see us getting a point here 1-1
  • " Le roi est mort, vive le roi"

So there's now FRENCH interest in the takeover race, Henry ?

They speak French in Belgium and they have a monarchy
  • I see a loss... a narrow loss.... 2-1

That'll teach me !

( So no rumour of French involvement then, Henry?)

That'll teach me !

je n'ai rien à dire!
  • I would go for that line up with the exception of Sordell instead of Church. Not quite sure why, after yesterday's debacle, but I have a feeling we will win this against the odds. 1-2.
  • We win there and they win at The Valley....

In my opinion our best XI is

Alnwick

Solly
    Wood
    Morrison
    Wiggins

Wilson
    Stephens
    Cousins
    Stewart/Harriott

Church
    Kermognant

Substitute Jacko for Church in a 4-5-1

If we play that side we will get a result.

I will be there POTD if I wake up (Prodigy at The O2 NYE)
  • There are mitigating circumstances of course, just as there are at every club. If only we had sacked Chris Powell and got in a manager who know something, anything about tactics, team selection or substitutions we'd be top half at least. Not that that is what we at Preview Towers think of CP. The suggestion that sacking CP would be the cure all for all our woes is just guess work and wishful thinking. Other boards decided to make a change. Barnsley, Doncaster, Wednesday and very recently Millwall. All still sit below Charlton. So maybe the manager isn't the whole story.

I dont think that is fair at all on powell he has been brilliant and is the best manager for us at the moment, without him I think we would be even lower. Also he is not "part of the problem" but a big positive.

I predict a 1-0 to charlton as revenge for the last round!
  • Sponsored links:

• DMC said:

There are mitigating circumstances of course, just as there are at every club. If only we had sacked Chris Powell and got in a manager who know something, anything about tactics, team selection or substitutions we'd be top half at least. Not that that is what we at Preview Towers think of CP. The suggestion that sacking CP would be the cure all for all our woes is just guess work and wishful thinking. Other boards decided to make a change. Barnsley, Doncaster, Wednesday and very recently Millwall. All still sit below Charlton. So maybe the manager isn't the whole story.

I dont think that is fair at all on powell he has been brilliant and is the best manager for us at the moment, without him I think we would be even lower. Also he is not "part of the problem" but a big positive.

That's what I was trying to say

That'll teach me !

je n'ai rien à dire!
    Murky beauchamps.

• Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Switch to 4-5-1

Alnwick
    Solly
    Morro
    Wood
    Wiggins

Wilson
    Stephens
    Cousins
    Jackson
    Stewart

Yann

1-1 with that team, a defeat if we go 4-4-2 or solly doesn't play
  • DMC said:

There are mitigating circumstances of course, just as there are at every club. If only we had sacked Chris Powell and got in a manager who know something, anything about tactics, team selection or substitutions we'd be top half at least. Not that that is what we at Preview Towers think of CP. The suggestion that sacking CP would be the cure all for all our woes is just guess work and wishful thinking. Other boards decided to make a change. Barnsley, Doncaster, Wednesday and very recently Millwall. All still sit below Charlton. So maybe the manager isn't the whole story.

I was more saying "So maybe the manager isn't the whole story" is a bit harsh and that he hasn't been a minor negative but is a huge positive. My strong sense of justice regarding Powell was getting annoyed because I felt you weren't doing him justice! that's all sorry if I misunderstood.
  • the pub near the station still a decent shout?
  • woah guys, dont be too positive about the result. all this negativity. 1-0 charlton win.
  • DMC said:

DMC said:

I was more saying "So maybe the manager isn't the whole story" is a bit harsh and that he hasn't been a minor negative but is a huge positive. My strong sense of justice regarding Powell was getting annoyed because I felt you weren't doing him justice! that's all sorry if I misunderstood.
    You did massively. You missed his quotation marks
  • Jimmy Greaves famously said "football was a funny old game" but I don't think it's that funny. What I saw on Sunday frightened me. Ipswich 3 - Charlton 0
  • Depends on the balance of the team on the day.

Well capable of a point - but we'll see.