Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Palace looking at Stephens apparently.

Oh dear.

Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 6m
#cpfc transfer update in paper today. Charlton believe Eagles contingent at Sunday's game to watch Dale Stephens.

Comments

• And it all went to plan until he scored...
  • Will be tough to get him signed up to a new deal if he thinks Premier League clubs are looking at him.
  • Can't see how he would fit in their side. Jedinak, Dikgacoi, Williams, O'Keefe, Campana, and Ward has been playing there recently too.
  • If true it won't help him to get back north but I'm sure he could get over that with a decent contract being dangled. Hopefully we can get a good price and the funds or at least some of them are reinvested in the squad. Depends who our owners are though :-0
  • RedChaser said:

If true it won't help him to get back north but I'm sure he could get over that with a decent contract being dangled. Hopefully we can get a good price and the funds or at least some of them are reinvested in the squad. Depends who our owners are though :-0

Isn't he out of contract in the summer?

If so we will be lucky to get a tenner for him.
  • edited December 2013
    Depends how badly Palarse want him. And if TJ is still at the helm can you honestly see him giving a player away for next to nowt? I reckon he'd rather stick two fingers up than cut off his nose to spite his face.
  • There's no denying his contract having only 6 months to run will significantly diminish any fee we could get for him.
  • Apparently TP was looking at one from each side but commented afterwards that he was unlikely to pursue either.

Not worried
  • The Stripey Nigels can F@ck right off.
  • Sponsored links:

• after scoring that goal he would be on a lower prem team radar that was sublime teckas.

thing I pullis don't do tekkas
  • I saw TP outside the ground on his way in. A lot smaller than I thought he was.
  • Off_it said:

I saw TP outside the ground on his way in. A lot smaller than I thought he was.

Did you fancy your chances Offy?
  • We should be looking to sell him in Jan. Its unlikely he will sign a new contract if he's wanted to leave for ages as has been reported although that's because he wants to go back up north so he might not fancy Palace.
  • It would cost us a lot more to be relegated. Many are saying he is our player of the season so far (on another thread) - can we afford to lose him now?
  • It would cost us a lot more to be relegated. Many are saying he is our player of the season so far (on another thread) - can we afford to lose him now?

How fickle are football fans? The majority on here wanted him gone this time last year even had people queuing up to drive him north free of charge! And don't get me started on Wilson.
  • edited December 2013
    Not me - on both players and those writing Pritchard and Hamer off now are are very misguided too .
  • RedChaser said:

It would cost us a lot more to be relegated. Many are saying he is our player of the season so far (on another thread) - can we afford to lose him now?

How fickle are football fans? The majority on here wanted him gone this time last year even had people queuing up to drive him north free of charge! And don't get me started on Wilson.
    I don't think its fickle, Red. He has shown vast improvement and added a bit of hunger and tenacity to his game this season which has made him more popular. He would probably admit himself that he wasn't up to much last season.
  • RedChaser said:

It would cost us a lot more to be relegated. Many are saying he is our player of the season so far (on another thread) - can we afford to lose him now?

I don't think its fickle, Red. He has shown vast improvement and added a bit of hunger and tenacity to his game this season which has made him more popular. He would probably admit himself that he wasn't up to much last season.
    Fair comment he had personal issues but I always felt there was a player in there and glad he has proved me right.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

Stephens has proved many wrong. Wilson hasn't yet. He banged in a couple of goals yes but he's not 'done a Stephens' yet
  • mrbligh said:

RedChaser said:

Stephens has proved many wrong. Wilson hasn't yet. He banged in a couple of goals yes but he's not 'done a Stephens' yet
    Wilson has been fantastic this season
  • mrbligh said:

RedChaser said:

But Wilson has been filling the boots of 2 times player of the year-talk about following in the footsteps of a giant (even if he is only 5'3). And did the Brighton performance suggest that Wilson is actually more of a natural right sided AM anyway????? He could be a real success in front of Solly, if that is his preferred position.

As for Dale, for me the 3-5-2 earlier in the season was the first time he got a chance to properly express himself as a ball player. Last season was largely kick and rush, so he was never gonna shine. He has pushed on this season in a 4-4-2 thanks to improved confidence, more bite in the tackle and Cousins next to him. The lad is a class act and its a shame the pitch will limit how much we see of his skills in the next few months. I see Clayton at Udders as similar type.
  • edited December 2013
    Cannot see Dale as a Tony Pulis player, he likes snarling centre mids who would smash their grandmother in a 50/50.

Dale is a proper footballer, doubt he would enjoy being told to pump it into the corners or to just fight for second balls.
  • Off_it said:

RedChaser said:

Off_it said:

I saw TP outside the ground on his way in. A lot smaller than I thought he was.

Did you fancy your chances Offy?
    All day.

I gave him "the look" but he didn't wanna know.
    Naked headbutts or nothing!
  • Am I one of the few who don't rate Stephens all that highly? I mean he's a good midfielder, but if tehre's money on the table I think we should snatch it and either get in someone with a bit more skill or blood a youngster
  • If there's money on the table it is likely to be peanuts as he is out of contract in 6 months.

Now is not the time to be making money just for the sake of it. Its not of much use when you don't have players.
  • True, depends if you think 6 months of Stephens (assumine we can't keep him) is more valuable than say the 500k we might get for him. I'd prefer the money and a chance to get game-time for a youngster, or alternatively a loan player from Liege. The new guy could potentially replace him.
  • I could never forgive that.
  • I am not so sure that he has only 6 months left as I am sure we have the option of another year