Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ipswich Town v Charlton Ath|1 Jan 2014|League|Preview, Views, Line Ups **Half Year Review**

Comments

• Taking my son to this game, his last one was a year ago at Watford, hope it's as exciting with the same outcome for us. Think it will be 2-2 though..
  • Having wiggo and solly back is a massive plus. So ill go for a desmond.
  • Are tickets available on the door?
  • Greenster said:

Are tickets available on the door?

Yep, confirmed yesterday.

• With Solly & Wiggins back, hopeful we can get a draw probably 1-1
  • If we can re-produce the great support against Watford away last new years day, then who knows because I reckon the crowd played it's part then and it can play it again tomorrow. Lets all get up there.
  • Powell isn't afraid of changing things around; I wouldn't be surprised to see Church on the bench for this one.
  • If we have Solly and Wiggins back we should get something. If not, can't see us beating Ipswich in their current form. BUT, knowing Charlton, anything is possible! Hoping for a miracle and 3 points.
  • Sponsored links:

• Based on the fact there have been no ticket updates I think the numbers for this will be rubbish

Not surprising as its a 2 hour journey for most of our support on New Year's Day...
  • Hoping for a good result to kick off the New Year but yet again we are playing a team in form so it will be tough. Banstead Jnr is a mascot so I am hoping he will bring some luck. They won very easily at the Valley so we might reverse the fortunes tomorrow. Doubt it, 2-0 to Ipswich.
  • Hoping for a good result to kick off the New Year but yet again we are playing a team in form so it will be tough. Banstead Jnr is a mascot so I am hoping he will bring some luck. They won very easily at the Valley so we might reverse the fortunes tomorrow. Doubt it, 2-0 to Ipswich.
  • I presume Wiggins is back, any news on Solly?
  • Curb_It said:

DMC said:

DMC said:

There are mitigating circumstances of course, just as there are at every club. If only we had sacked Chris Powell and got in a manager who know something, anything about tactics, team selection or substitutions we'd be top half at least. Not that that is what we at Preview Towers think of CP. The suggestion that sacking CP would be the cure all for all our woes is just guess work and wishful thinking. Other boards decided to make a change. Barnsley, Doncaster, Wednesday and very recently Millwall. All still sit below Charlton. So maybe the manager isn't the whole story.

I dont think that is fair at all on powell he has been brilliant and is the best manager for us at the moment, without him I think we would be even lower. Also he is not "part of the problem" but a big positive.

That's what I was trying to say

I was more saying "So maybe the manager isn't the whole story" is a bit harsh and that he hasn't been a minor negative but is a huge positive. My strong sense of justice regarding Powell was getting annoyed because I felt you weren't doing him justice! that's all sorry if I misunderstood.
    You did massively. You missed his quotation marks
    I think that they were an edit so others wouldn't get the wrong idea.
  • Based on the fact there have been no ticket updates I think the numbers for this will be rubbish

Not surprising as its a 2 hour journey for most of our support on New Year's Day...

And it's also £32 a shot for a ticket. I was thinking of going with my son but forking out £64 at this time of year to watch this current team is not something I want to do. Sorry but that's the honest truth.

• Hopefully the Charlton Wendies performance has lulled the Ipswich team into a false sense of security.
  • After their comfortable victory at the valley, wouldn't be surprised to see some early complacency that we can hopefully take advantage of. Think this will be a draw or we may even nick it.
  • I hope we play a strong team, if Jackson has to play we should play a midfield 5 & drop Church.

However I would rather Powell dropped Jackson & played the same team as Brighton.

Going up and hope many others do as well.
  • See you there, HP
  • Sponsored links:

• Come on you Reds!! Let's kick off the New Year with 3 points! We will get a result!
  • I am determined to start off 2014 in my most positive frame of mind... we will only lose 2-1
  • Ipswich score lots of their goals from corners.

2-1 to them. Both set piece headers.
  • McCarthy usually plays a 4-4-2, so no need for anything other than 4-4-2.

Some of you are suggesting 4-5-1 with Kermorgant as the lone striker. So who chases the flick-ons? Central Defenders love playing 2v1 against a lone CF on high balls with no opponent running in behind. The Stephens/Cousins partnership in Central Midfield has been a success over the past couple of months and good enough to do the job, where before the emergence of Cousins we were having to play a three to hide a weakness in the key area of the pitch. That should allow us to play two up front and at least stretch the opposition, even if our front players lack quality inside the box (9 goals between them in 23 League games).

I still go back to the Blackburn game, where CP got the combinations right in a 4-4-2 system and we produced a controlled and disciplined performance. We moved up the pitch really well as a team and defended well as a team. We passed it nicely and set up the through ball in midfield, rather than whack it upfield looking for a flick on. That was the opportunity to bed in a pattern of play based on good passing football. Perhaps we don't have the individual ability in the squad to play that way from week to week?

I'm hoping tomorrow is one of those occasions when it all knits together and we play some football. Solly and Wiggins returning are important to that. We also obviously have to be aware of Ipswich starting quickly, as they did at the Valley, when we were one down before we had woken up.
  • I can see us getting a surprise result up there with Solly and Wiggins playing and with the central midfield combo of Stephens and Cousins. With Wood and Morro at CB the rest of the team can be built around that core which can give us the win. Any 'tinkering' (either forced or otherwise) I think we'll lose.
  • Think Ipswich will be to good. A deflating 1-0 loss.
  • Gimme a point and I'll take it!
  • Draw or win.
  • Think he will play 5 at the back to counter there arial threat from set pieces.

Just cant see us getting anything there, they will grind us down and score a second when we decide to have a go. 2-0 to them i am afraid.
  • 1-0 to Ipswich.