Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oxford United away ticket pricing

This was picked up in the post match thread but I was interested to know if I'm the only one apalled by Oxford's decision to essentially charge Charlton fans double what we charged their supporters last night.

This feels like another example
of ticket pricing in England being focused solely on maximising profit without concern for the games most important stakeholders, the fans. It would have been fair for Oxford to have used the pricing set by Charlton for the first match as a benchmark against which to set ticket pricing for the replay.

Am I alone in feeling sick to the back teeth of football clubs exploiting the passion of loyal supporters, particularly those that travel away ?

Comments

• No, you're not.

I actually think they've shot themselves in the foot slightly, because it will undoubtedly put some people off.
  • I know Oxford want higher ticket prices because it'll help them in the long run yet its only Charlton they're facing rather than a Premier League team who will sell out the away end (and a Premier League side big enough to fill the home ends as well) but its not.

I thought as well Oxford had to consult Charlton on the matter of FA Cup ticket prices as I read the other day that the Macclesfield CEO went crazy because they hadnt been advised before Sheffield Wednesday made their replay tickets available?

Oh well either way lets hope Oxford get less than half the expected attendance there then as it'll show it wouldnt have been worth it
  • I know Oxford want higher ticket prices because it'll help them in the long run yet its only Charlton they're facing rather than a Premier League team who will sell out the away end (and a Premier League side big enough to fill the home ends as well) but its not.

I thought as well Oxford had to consult Charlton on the matter of FA Cup ticket prices as I read the other day that the Macclesfield CEO went crazy because they hadnt been advised before Sheffield Wednesday made their replay tickets available?

Oh well either way lets hope Oxford get less than half the expected attendance there then as it'll show it wouldnt have been worth it

Up until two years ago the two teams had to mutually agree ticket prices but no longer. However as above I think it would have been fair for Oxford to have looked at the pricing we set and set their pricing appropriately.
  • perhaps they do it on purpose, knowing that many away fans wont turn up & thus the visiting team wont have much vocal support to help them..............whereas as we let all & sundry in for next to nothing & wonder why the Jimmy Seed stand is rocking & making more noise than us. ;)

seriously though .I was thinking about going next Tuesday as its not that far, new ground, chance of a cup upset (Charlton beating lower league opposition for once) but at £19 they can stick it.

• edited January 2014
    Oxford fans (bar one idiot) seem to agree about the overpricing.

yellowsforum.proboards.com/thread/16378/ticket-prices-charlton-replay
  • Lets be clear from the start, this isn't a case of Oxford seeking to take advantage of us, this is pretty much across the board pricing for home and away fans.

Advance On the Day

EAST STAND

Adult £17.00 £19.50

Student £14.00 £16.00

Over 65 £ 9.00 £10.00

Under 16 £ 9.00 £10.00

Under 7 FOC FOC

SOUTH LOWER

Adult £19.00 £21.50

Student £15.50 £17.50

Over 65 £11.50 £12.50

Under 16 £11.50 £12.50

Under 7 FOC FOC

FAMILY AREA

Adult £19.00 £21.50

Student £15.50 £17.50

Over 65 £11.50 £12.50

Under 16 £ 4.00 £ 6.00

Under 7 FOC FOC

SOUTH UPPER

Adult £20.50 £23.00

Student £16.00 £18.00

Over 65 £13.00 £14.50

Under 16 £13.00 £14.50

Under 7 FOC FOC

• So basically Oxford are ignoring the fact its a Cup game and are basically charging League prices!!!
  • Yeah, erm I'll be under 16 that night then.
  • Jodaius said:

No, you're not.

I actually think they've shot themselves in the foot slightly, because it will undoubtedly put some people off.

Put me off was looking forward to it, not at that price

• I think the price is slightly higher than it should be but it's not exploitation.

Once you have paid to get to Oxford and the other costs associated with travelling away, the difference between paying £19 a ticket and a fairer price of say £10 - £15 a ticket doesn't seem that significant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lets be clear from the start, this isn't a case of Oxford seeking to take advantage of us, this is pretty much across the board pricing for home and away fans.

They are not allowed to charge away fans more than home fans without agreement from the away club, which I can't imagine would be forthcoming. I imagine that this is the reason they have gone with these prices across the board.

I imagine the thinking was 'Charlton are a (relatively by our standards) big club, will bring a big away following regardless of price, so let's put the price up'. This is supported by the fact that they have given us the entire North stand, with a capacity of around 5,000!

In reality, they are failing to take account of the fact that (a) it's a cup game, and many Charlton fans don't care, (b) it's a Tuesday night and a pain to get to (particularly getting back into London by train if it goes to extra time), and (c) our away following just isn't that good. I really don't think they've done their research.
  • To sit down last night at Welling United v Hyde was £16 in the Conference
  • They're mugging their own fans really, to most Charlton fans it's a crappy cup replay, unimportant in the scheme of things against an opponent that are not particularly interesting, it's also an evening where gates are generally less due to work commitments, charge too much and a lot of Charlton fans won't bother, however to oxford fans we may not be a premier league side but used to be and they have the opportunity to watch their team knock out a bigger team, certainly more attractive to them than it is to us, so it's their own fans that are more likely to pay the high gate price and their own fans they're ripping off, leave them to it.
  • I paid £16 to see Welling in an FA Cup replay last season.
  • To sit down last night at Welling United v Hyde was £16 in the Conference

Won't be for much longer, Welling are falling like a stone, dreadful result for them last night.
  • Ok - seems that there's a fair few who feel like me, so perhaps I'm not as mad as I thought I might be !

I've written to both Oxford United's commercial director Oxford Supporters Trusts chairman (who's actually a really good bloke) to register my disappointment at their decision to charge our fans double what we charged their fans.

I've also knocked together a quick statement from our own Trust here:

http://www.castrust.org/2014/01/trust-disappointed-with-oxford-19pound-replay-price/

Of course I don't expect Oxford to move on their pricing (although I did suggest they might want to think about it !) but I'll keep you up to date if I have a response from any of those that I've contacted.
  • Nice one.
  • Travel time wise I live much nearer to Oxford than Charlton (An hour down A40/M40 to Oxford as opposed to 2 hours plus by car through London for a night game). For a tenner, I would have gone to the replay. £19, they have got to be joking.

Clubs are continually shooting themselves in the foot. And in this case, both feet.
  • edited January 2014
    Love this quote from an Oxford fan:
    "Season ticket holders get a good enough deal anyway, they should be grateful they get the chance to see a Championship level side in a proper cup competition for under £20."
  • CAFCTrev said:

Love this quote from an Oxford fan:

"Season ticket holders get a good enough deal anyway, they should be grateful they get the chance to see a Championship level side in a proper cup competition for under £20."
    He obviously didn't see us in the first leg !
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure Charlton fans are grateful to be watching us at the moment....
  • Maybe they were listening to the radio commentary last night and thought, "well, let's see how much money we can get from the 17,000 who turned up at The Valley"...

• Will the trust show consistency, and be complaining and writing to every club that charges Charlton fans £19 or more to attend a match?

M'boro are charging our fans more than Oxford are to watch the game. Further M'boro are, I believe, charging our fans more than we charged their fans for the reverse fixture. Has a complaint been made to M'boro?
  • edited January 2014
  • Isn't one of our pricing strategies (albeit for league games) to charge £25 per match for north lower so we can charge the same for visiting fans?
  • If you pay on the night it goes up to £21.50 according to our OS
  • I agree its too much and have refused to go to games on a similar principle in the past, but we must be the most price sensitive group of fans in the land.
  • I am going to Oxford as it is only an hour or so up the road and a new ground. I'm using the money I saved by not going last night. I was hoping for a replay My plan worked. wasn't expecting £19 though.
  • I live near Reading and was starting to think about going to the replay on the basis it would be pretty close to the same price as last night. But at £19, they can poke it. I'll spend twenty quid on a decent bottle and listen on the radio instead.

Incidentally, isn't the net ticket revenue split for cup games, so CAFC get 42.5%.
  • Plaaayer said:

I paid £16 to see Welling in an FA Cup replay last season.