Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Now TV

Anyone else got this?
Activated the free one day sky sports pass, continually buffering and it's like trying to watch telly wearing someone else's prescription glasses.

Comments

• Interested to hear that. Do you have any other online issues or just that site? From my experience, NowTV struggles with high user levels.
  • I have now tv and have had no issues at all.
    All depends on your own Internet speed
  • When Sky tested it, my internet apparently I couldn't get much faster.
  • It all depends on the quality of your Internet connection and how far you are from the nearest fibre node (those green boxes) - that's why its so cheap compared to the full satellite service.

Some folks will get lucky and be near enough to get a good picture, other will not!
  • It all depends on the quality of your Internet connection and how far you are from the nearest fibre node (those green boxes) - that's why its so cheap compared to the full satellite service.

Some folks will get lucky and be near enough to get a good picture, other will not!

Hardly cheap at a tenner a day compared to £50 a month for Sky Sports!

Right, sorry, I did not realise he was talking about the Sky Sports Day Pass.

You can get the basic 10-channel Now TV Entertainment package for a fiver per month - compared to 21 quid for the Sky basic satellite package.

Anyway, that's the whole point of Now TV from Sky, they give you a taster of their product but with variable quality because its over the Internet - they want you to upgrade to the real thing but the broader point is to block off Netflix and Amazon and all the other OTT video providers.
  • Ormiston Addick - maybe I'm mistaken. Thought the sky sports thing was the only offering they had on there, didn't realise they had another option.
  • Ormiston Addick - maybe I'm mistaken. Thought the sky sports thing was the only offering they had on there, didn't realise they had another option.

No, you can get a 10-channel entertainment package for 5 quid and movies for 10 quid per month and then the Sky Sports day pass is a tenner per day.

Its about providing a low-cost alternative to their main offering and making Netflix less desirable!
  • The other thing I would say it's about is when you ring up and complain about the picture buffering they can tell you your internet isn't fast enough but........."we are doing a deal on our superfast fibre broadband this month"

As i've said before on here I pay for sky (probably for the kids more than anything) but don't have the sports channels anymore . Fortunately I have a nice sister and a bang average brother in law :) that allow me to use their sky go account on my laptop which when plugged into the tv gives me a better than standard def picture.

I can see in the future once fibre comes down in price and more have access to it that sky may well ditch the dishes altogether.

Anyway, that's the whole point of Now TV from Sky, they give you a taster of their product but with variable quality because its over the Internet - they want you to upgrade to the real thing but the broader point is to block off Netflix and Amazon and all the other OTT video providers.
    That's not entirely true. The purpose of NowTV is to appeal to people who don't like Sky/ Murdoch, and those without the option of having a dish. As much as they'd like people to upgrade to STBs, they don't expect that audience to. And they sure as hell don't sit around in meetings planning a poor streaming service intentionally. That's just paranoid/ ridiculous.

A large reason that parts of it are even branded 'Sky' is because of rights issues. The studios went nuts when they saw the site just before launch, arguing that the movie rights are for the Sky Movies brand.

As for heading off Netflix and co., that is partly true but the DTH business is supposed to be doing that too. Although I'd argue both are struggling, particularly given the archaic attitude on the limitations of Sky Go.
  • Sponsored links:

• buckshee said:

The other thing I would say it's about is when you ring up and complain about the picture buffering they can tell you your internet isn't fast enough but........."we are doing a deal on our superfast fibre broadband this month"

As i've said before on here I pay for sky (probably for the kids more than anything) but don't have the sports channels anymore . Fortunately I have a nice sister and a bang average brother in law :) that allow me to use their sky go account on my laptop which when plugged into the tv gives me a better than standard def picture.

I can see in the future once fibre comes down in price and more have access to it that sky may well ditch the dishes altogether.

No, won't happen.

Sky get satellite distribution relatively cheap, moving to an all fibre distribution (owned by Openreach/BT) would be extremely expensive and prone to quality of service problems because that's what you have to deal with on the Internet for the most part.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

It all depends on the quality of your Internet connection and how far you are from the nearest fibre node (those green boxes) - that's why its so cheap compared to the full satellite service.

That's not entirely true. The purpose of NowTV is to appeal to people who don't like Sky/ Murdoch, and those without the option of having a dish. As much as they'd like people to upgrade to STBs, they don't expect that audience to. And they sure as hell don't sit around in meetings planning a poor streaming service intentionally. That's just paranoid/ ridiculous.

A large reason that parts of it are even branded 'Sky' is because of rights issues. The studios went nuts when they saw the site just before launch, arguing that the movie rights are for the Sky Movies brand.

As for heading off Netflix and co., that is partly true but the DTH business is supposed to be doing that too. Although I'd argue both are struggling, particularly given the archaic attitude on the limitations of Sky Go.
    They obviously don't PLAN to have a poor quality streaming service, I never said they did!

The point is that over the open Internet in an unmanaged IPTV service is that Sky or anybody else can't guarantee quality of service, that's why the service is so cheap.

Paying for a controlled network environment via satellite/cable/IPTV costs money but an OTT service costs very little, on a per-subscriber basis it costs about US$0.03 to stream an hour of SD video at 3Mbps.

Sky can't compete with Netflix if all they have is a basic satellite service at 21 quid per month, they needed a low-cost option and Now TV gives them that.

But Sky does not want to offer a service at 4.99 that is of the same transmission quality of their own core satellite product at 21 quid per month, that would be nonsensical.
  • Anyone aware of any offers/deals on Now TV sports passes?

Got my season ticket yesterday but having to self-isolate meaning I won't be able to make the game on Saturday, and want to watch it (but don't have Sky!). Looks like the cheapest option is to buy a day pass for £10? 
  • edited August 2021
    Anyone aware of any offers/deals on Now TV sports passes?

Got my season ticket yesterday but having to self-isolate meaning I won't be able to make the game on Saturday, and want to watch it (but don't have Sky!). Looks like the cheapest option is to buy a day pass for £10? 
    Sports passes rarely come up. You tend to get movie or entertainment passes. 

Other option is to get a naughty link on the day. 
  • £10 - bargain and you'll be supporting the club. Plus, if you'r anything like me, you'll save far more than £10 on the other associated costs of match-going. Good luck with the self-isolation. I'm isolating now, but thankfully I'm out on Thursday. Understand your anguish at missing it.
  • edited August 2021
    I used to have Now TV and it buffered on my laptop but mostly lost resolution then got it back then lost it again. I had no issues with anything else using the same internet and laptop. I suspected there was something not right with the windows app and some googling suggested this might be the case. 
  • Stig said:
    £10 - bargain and you'll be supporting the club. Plus, if you'r anything like me, you'll save far more than £10 on the other associated costs of match-going. Good luck with the self-isolation. I'm isolating now, but thankfully I'm out on Thursday. Understand your anguish at missing it.
    The £10 would be going to NowTV/Sky rather than the club, unfortunately! Otherwise I wouldn't mind paying out.

Waited best part of 18 months to get back to The Valley so to be told to self isolate days before is soul destroying! 

If you know anybody who has sky go and they are willing to let you have their login details, you can watch it for free.
  • Stig said:
    £10 - bargain and you'll be supporting the club. Plus, if you'r anything like me, you'll save far more than £10 on the other associated costs of match-going. Good luck with the self-isolation. I'm isolating now, but thankfully I'm out on Thursday. Understand your anguish at missing it.
    The £10 would be going to NowTV/Sky rather than the club, unfortunately! Otherwise I wouldn't mind paying out.

Waited best part of 18 months to get back to The Valley so to be told to self isolate days before is soul destroying! 
    Ah, sorry I was thinking getting the club option via VPN.
  • bargain this coming Saturday .. Lions v SA and CAFC v Owls for a tenner .. though there will be overlap .. probably be able to see either of the full games on replay after they have finished .. chuck in a hundred game or two and there ye go
  • Sponsored links:

I have bought one day sports passes on the last two Saturdays at £9.99 (don't go reckless with penny change) .. as the name implies, only sports, no movies, kids stuff etc.
  • I had a few monthly passes - then they offered me a deal of £20 a month for 9 months - all Sky Sports channels which I thought was good.  Runs out next month...suspect as PL kicks off they won't renew it.  Had 1 ior 2 buffering issues but rare.
  • Can't afford "proper" Sky contract, and have BT broadband, TV and mobile. 
    Use "NowTV" for sports. Usually pay £33 monthly. Was going to cancel for the summer months but they offered me 3 months for £14-99 each month. 
    I look at it as £1 aday for all the sports channels.......
  • CafcWest said:
    I had a few monthly passes - then they offered me a deal of £20 a month for 9 months - all Sky Sports channels which I thought was good.  Runs out next month...suspect as PL kicks off they won't renew it.  Had 1 ior 2 buffering issues but rare.
    Can't afford "proper" Sky contract, and have BT broadband, TV and mobile. 
    Use "NowTV" for sports. Usually pay £33 monthly. Was going to cancel for the summer months but they offered me 3 months for £14-99 each month. 
    I look at it as £1 aday for all the sports channels.......
    I used to have a yearly Sky & BT package on Virgin .. then Virgin started taking the piss with the prices and I cancelled .. Now TV's flexible passes are goodish value, although no BT AND as @CafcWest says, the prices will probably jump at the start of the Prem season
  • There's a NowTv offer available to new customers/customers without an active Sports Pass - £9.98 for a 24h pass + 5 months of Sky Sports Mobile (free). 
  • So, I’ve been watching NOW TV for years without any issues. This last week, it’s started asking me for a parental PIN. I have logged into my account, changed my PIN and set my parental control preferences to OFF. But still when I try to watch movies it keeps asking me for my PIN. Anyone else had this problem? If yes, how did you resolve? Thanks in advance …
  • _MrDick said:
    So, I’ve been watching NOW TV for years without any issues. This last week, it’s started asking me for a parental PIN. I have logged into my account, changed my PIN and set my parental control preferences to OFF. But still when I try to watch movies it keeps asking me for my PIN. Anyone else had this problem? If yes, how did you resolve? Thanks in advance …
     Ditched it and had a chat with @Big_Bad_World

;-)
  • Just enter 1234 in the parental code it will always be so unless you change it.
  • daily pass cost increased from 9.99 to 11.99