Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Graham Stevenson RIP

The former Yorkshire quickie and attacking lower order batsman has passed away aged 58 following a serious stroke a few weeks back.

He was overshadowed by Botham during his playing career but was still good enough to represent England himself in tests and one day matches.

He would probably have played more often but for a tendency to be injury prone.

Bairstow Snr, Carrick and now Stevenson all gone from that Yorkshire side of the mid seventies to the mid eighties.

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I read this yesterday with great sadness. I once met Stevenson along with Arnie Sidebottom at a match in Scarborough. Graham Stevenson was a very pleasant man, very knowledgeable, loved a beer and a chat and was good company.
    As a stroke survivor (luckily mine was a very minor stroke but still deeply affecting), I am aware of how deadly and disabling this innocuous sounding disease can be. Fifty eight is no age to die. May he rest in peace
  • RIP.

I "supported Yorkshire" as a young kid. I've no idea why, it certainly wasn't for the glory, as they never won anything.

My best guess, is that I loved Boycott in his earlier years, as he was England's "best" batsman.

NB I didn't know Phil Carrick had died.
  • Very sad news - no age at all and a very decent chap by all accounts. One of the few number 11 batsmen to make a first class hundred, which he did in a partnership of 149 with Geoffrey Boycott in 1982 against Warwickshire.